Nuel

15+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2003
2,991
1
Rap Group Home
Visit site
Status
This coulda been posted before. But those with form DK, let's hear your thoughts on each section.

PS = harder than normal, too much physics and calculation oriented problems.
VR = ok initially then progressed devilishly midway.
BS = reasonable, but not easy.

Expected score: won't be suprised if I got a 22. I went in sure I could pull at least a 32. That is -10 for me.
 

DMBFan61

Boomer
15+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2004
293
0
Status
Attending Physician
I had DK and i thought the exact same as you...my kaplan scores were 30 +-1 and I just don't see how i can pull that score DK

PS did you take your test at OU?
 

Nuel

15+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2003
2,991
1
Rap Group Home
Visit site
Status
No, I am in the SE US.
 
About the Ads

Wahooali

The Real Sydney Bristow
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2004
1,318
0
38
a galaxy far far away
Visit site
Status
DMBFan61 said:
I had DK and i thought the exact same as you...my kaplan scores were 30 +-1 and I just don't see how i can pull that score DK

PS did you take your test at OU?

Same here. That's about what I was hitting with Kaplan too, and there is no way I could get that with how much DK screwed me over. The BS was the impossible one for me though. Ugh! Why me? Looks like I'll be facing the beast again in August....boooooo.
 

Nuel

15+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2003
2,991
1
Rap Group Home
Visit site
Status
Cerberus said:
Nuel, can you name some passages in each section? I think we had very similar forms.
PS--not according to order (tough devil)

I. Adsorption of CO or O2 onto Pt surface for determining CO2 formation. Also temperature dependence was studied. (doable IMO)
II. Humic-fulvic water crap (doable)
III. periodicity (can't remember passage, but it was doable)
IV sounds and reverberations (thinky, but doable)
*horror movie tune starts*
V. magnetic fields and the earth (doable)
VI. NASA crap in space (got some bullets here)
VII. Newton's law of gravitation and orbit (got shot real bad).
VIII. ph and color crap. did this last in 4 minutes. had to best-guess this passage after skimming.
IX. alkane plus chlorine radicals (probably confusing with BS after the MCAT's reign of terror saturday).

can't remember the rest

VR. (mixed feelings)
abstract art, their divergence and unconcious expressionism (easy for me)
myth and psychoanalysis (easy)
interconnectedness of the world and sea nature's threat (doable)
Rosseau and education for the mind (easy)
I have no clue what the 10 passage questions were--evidence I was raped here. Hope someone can remined me--I am probably lumping things.
bte and refuge nonsense, dinosaurs (icythosaurss or so), music and trance. For the last 4 or so passages I either knew the answer or I was guessing.

BS (Ok in general)
malic acid and cyanide garbage (easy)
immune system abd big proteins, small and big carbohydrates (doable)
yeah, the CRABS! it was ok at any rate, but it was like an experimental passage.
orgo with X=S, Z=O R= CH2CH3
RNA editing
DNA and PKD disease.
muscles and ligaments
Drosophilia and vg and vg+

The MCAT is comparable to Al-Qaeda, but I promise to rape the August tests if I happen to retake. I didn't this thing to be this challenging.
 

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2001
15,128
157
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Nuel said:
PS--not according to order (tough devil)

I. Adsorption of CO or O2 onto Pt surface for determining CO2 formation. Also temperature dependence was studied. (doable IMO)
II. Humic-fulvic water crap (doable)
III. periodicity (can't remember passage, but it was doable)
IV sounds and reverberations (thinky, but doable)
*horror movie tune starts*
V. magnetic fields and the earth (doable)
VI. NASA crap in space (got some bullets here)
VII. Newton's law of gravitation and orbit (got shot real bad).
VIII. ph and color crap. did this last in 4 minutes. had to best-guess this passage after skimming.
IX. alkane plus chlorine radicals (probably confusing with BS after the MCAT's reign of terror saturday).

can't remember the rest

VR. (mixed feelings)
abstract art, their divergence and unconcious expressionism (easy for me)
myth and psychoanalysis (easy)
interconnectedness of the world and sea nature's threat (doable)
Rosseau and education for the mind (easy)
I have no clue what the 10 passage questions were--evidence I was raped here. Hope someone can remined me--I am probably lumping things.
bte and refuge nonsense, dinosaurs (icythosaurss or so), music and trance. For the last 4 or so passages I either knew the answer or I was guessing.

BS (Ok in general)
malic acid and cyanide garbage (easy)
immune system abd big proteins, small and big carbohydrates (doable)
yeah, the CRABS! it was ok at any rate, but it was like an experimental passage.
orgo with X=S, Z=O R= CH2CH3
RNA editing
DNA and PKD disease.
muscles and ligaments
Drosophilia and vg and vg+

The MCAT is comparable to Al-Qaeda, but I promise to rape the August tests if I happen to retake. I didn't this thing to be this challenging.
Sounds like our BS and VR were identical and I think most of the PS but i cant really rememberPS that well.

Do you remember any specifics on the NASA or Newtons passage?
Was the nasa passage the one about the rising float thing that beamed stuff to the sattelite?
 

Nuel

15+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2003
2,991
1
Rap Group Home
Visit site
Status
Cerberus said:
Sounds like our BS and VR were identical and I think most of the PS but i cant really rememberPS that well.
So what do you feel about it? Easy, hard? Retaking this devil on a whim? I feel so horrible. 35 is a pipe dream now, walking in it was like a distinct possiblity :(
 

Nuel

15+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2003
2,991
1
Rap Group Home
Visit site
Status
Cerberus said:
Was the nasa passage the one about the rising float thing that beamed stuff to the sattelite?
yeah, you right. it was
 

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2001
15,128
157
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Nuel said:
yeah, you right. it was
I think we had the exact same form then (though mine was labeled CT). My thoughts:

PS: I think I did pretty well on it. So far I dont know of any that I missed, though i know I guessed on quite a few. Some calculations really sucked and thats probably were I lost the most points.

VR: Pretty hard, had to guess on the last two questions (on the dinsosaur passage). Think i probably did ok.

BS: This passage owned me. That orgo passage was hell and I think I guessed on 80% of it. I know of at least 3 others I missed as well... Not looking so good.
 

Persistence101

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2003
306
0
Visit site
Status
Nuel,

Which PS passage had the most calculations? We had similar PS passages but I don't remember having too many calculations. Maybe the passage you had lots of calculations on was an experimental?
 

Nuel

15+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2003
2,991
1
Rap Group Home
Visit site
Status
Persistence101 said:
Nuel,

Which PS passage had the most calculations? We had similar PS passages but I don't remember having too many calculations. Maybe the passage you had lots of calculations on was an experimental?
I really don't know. but most of the questions I guessd on had calculations. My math minor was of obviously no use. Maybe I am very stupid since cerb says the PS was ok. I was doing extremely well until I started my physics streak. Guessed on 6 or so questions.
 

Persistence101

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2003
306
0
Visit site
Status
Nuel said:
I really don't know. but most of the questions I guessd on had calculations. My math minor was of obviously no use. Maybe I am very stupid since cerb says the PS was ok. I was doing extremely well until I started my physics streak. Guessed on 6 or so questions.
I just noticed...what happened to your Karma?
 
About the Ads

Nuel

15+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2003
2,991
1
Rap Group Home
Visit site
Status
Persistence101 said:
I just noticed...what happened to your Karma?
Well, I am going to lie :D .

The MCAT took my karma :(
 

Nuel

15+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2003
2,991
1
Rap Group Home
Visit site
Status
PS--not according to order (tough devil)

I. Adsorption of CO or O2 onto Pt surface for determining CO2 formation. Also temperature dependence was studied. (doable IMO)
II. Humic-fulvic water crap (doable)
III. periodicity (can't remember passage, but it was doable)
IV sounds and reverberations (thinky, but doable)
*horror movie tune starts*
V. magnetic fields and the earth (doable)
VI. NASA crap in space: saturn satellite, momentum, speed ratios
(got some bullets here)
VII. Newton's law of gravitation
VIIIorbit ocean buoy testing(got shot real bad).
IX. ph and color crap. did this last in 4 minutes. had to best-guess this passage after skimming.
X. alkane plus chlorine radicals (probably confusing with BS after the MCAT's reign of terror saturday).
XI. truck and cargo-inclined plane and center of mass

can't remember the rest

VR. (mixed feelings)
abstract art, their divergence and unconcious expressionism (easy for me)
myth and psychoanalysis (easy)
interconnectedness of the world, mohave desert and sea nature's threat (doable)
Rosseau and education for the mind (easy
Parochial and universal concepts for contesting the tendency to claim aliens bear human features.
Understanding the past via antiques
(I have no clue what the 10 passage questions were--evidence I was raped here.)
bte and refuge nonsense,
dinosaurs (icythosaurss or so),
music and trance. For the last 4 or so passages I either knew the answer or I was guessing.

BS (Ok in general)
I.malic acid and cyanide garbage (easy)
IIvaccine production---immune system abd big proteins, small and big carbohydrates (doable)
IIIyeah, the CRABS! crab-echinoderm symbiosis. it was ok at any rate, but it was like an experimental passage.
IV. orgo with X=S, Z=O R= CH2CH3 (nitrophenyl ketone)
V. RNA editing
VI. DNA and PKD disease.
VII. muscles and ligaments
VIII. Drosophilia and vg and vg+
IX. Intervetebra disk herniation
X. Two hypotheses proposed on insect cell differentiation.
XI. transplanted heart, cardiac output, intrinsic and extrinsic signals.

The MCAT is comparable to Al-Qaeda, but I promise to rape the August tests if I happen to retake. I didn't this thing to be this challenging.

just added the parochial and universal concept passage

*updated*
 

aegis

Primary Care and Aerospace
15+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2004
150
5
Somewhere in the middle
Status
Attending Physician
I had form CT which sounds like the same test as what you guys are talking about. All I remember from the PS is that CO2 problem with the metal killed me, I wound up guessing on most of the questions. The rest of it seemed doable but I was pissed at the amount of Gen Chem. A friend of mine that I sat right next to had a different form and it was mostly physics (which I probably would have rocked on).
VR: This was pretty brutal, I started running out of time and was just going with my first gut feeling on a lot of it. I really disliked the passage about the bacteria and crops at first I thought ?sweet a science passage, maybe I will know something? didn?t seem to be the case. Was anyone else confused by the high dose/ whatever questions??
BS: Not too bad, I was happy there wasn?t too much organic. It seemed like the aamc practice tests had a lot more organic on them then the real thing did. Although the passage at the end about the damn fruit flies was crappy. I think my brain was just fried.
 

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2001
15,128
157
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I am guessing that your view of the test just depends on you personally. I mean, we basically all 3 took the same test and I feel that PS was fairly easy but BS was incredibly impossible and you guys think the opposite.
 

pateltr1

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
48
0
Status
In this passage relating to this:
interconnectedness of the world and sea nature's threat (doable)

anyone remember what they put for the question

dog barking or something
cat at mercy of the dog
don't remember other
 

Nuel

15+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2003
2,991
1
Rap Group Home
Visit site
Status
pateltr1 said:
In this passage relating to this:
interconnectedness of the world and sea nature's threat (doable)

anyone remember what they put for the question

dog barking or something
cat at mercy of the dog
don't remember other
dude, you've got sharp memory. Obviously you rocked the best. I was raped. Will probably retake in August.

I chose cat at mercy of dog. I will swear that as the answer
 

frank51

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2003
335
0
Visit site
Status
Nuel said:
dude, you've got sharp memory. Obviously you rocked the best. I was raped. Will probably retake in August.

I chose cat at mercy of dog. I will swear that as the answer
I chose a mouse at mercy of a cat, by the way concerning the "ph and color crap" passage as you put it, I kind of guessed as well, do you remember what you put for the 1st question, I think it asked something about turning blue from clear or vice versa.
 

Nuel

15+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2003
2,991
1
Rap Group Home
Visit site
Status
frank51 said:
I chose a mouse at mercy of a cat, by the way concerning the "ph and color crap" passage as you put it, I kind of guessed as well, do you remember what you put for the 1st question, I think it asked something about turning blue from clear or vice versa.
yeah, it was mouse at mercy of cat. that was what I chose.Why shoudn't I be confused from the rape :D .

For the "ph and color crap" passage, I have no clue. I had four minutes to do it--it was my last passage.
 

pateltr1

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
48
0
Status
About the ph question, for question 1 on that passage, i chose choice (a).

I don't remember what it said thought, lol.

For crab and echinocrap, last question, about which part of the cell must change was it nucleus or cell membrane? I guessed as a cell membrane but i regret not putting nucleus.

Also, that toxic question, was it endotoxic or cytotoxic? what is the difference between two? I ended up guessing endotoxic.
 

Nuel

15+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2003
2,991
1
Rap Group Home
Visit site
Status
pateltr1 said:
About the ph question, for question 1 on that passage, i chose choice (a).

I don't remember what it said thought, lol.

For crab and echinocrap, last question, about which part of the cell must change was it nucleus or cell membrane? I guessed as a cell membrane but i regret not putting nucleus.

Also, that toxic question, was it endotoxic or cytotoxic? what is the difference between two? I ended up guessing endotoxic.
I chose cytotoxin. I can't remember the nucleus question, but I know I definitely chose "nucleus" as an answer to some question on the BS (out of the 77).
 
About the Ads

Persistence101

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2003
306
0
Visit site
Status
pateltr1 said:
About the ph question, for question 1 on that passage, i chose choice (a).

I don't remember what it said thought, lol.

For crab and echinocrap, last question, about which part of the cell must change was it nucleus or cell membrane? I guessed as a cell membrane but i regret not putting nucleus.

Also, that toxic question, was it endotoxic or cytotoxic? what is the difference between two? I ended up guessing endotoxic.
why would it be nucleus?

endotoxins are the LPS of Gram-negative bacteria and cytotoxins are toxins to cells.
 

Nuel

15+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2003
2,991
1
Rap Group Home
Visit site
Status
Persistence101 said:
why would it be nucleus?
do you remember the question?
 

pateltr1

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
48
0
Status
Persistence101 said:
why would it be nucleus?

endotoxins are the LPS of Gram-negative bacteria and cytotoxins are toxins to cells.
what did you put for that crab passage question? I thought it could be nucleus becuase some how it obtains genes for evolution. I also thought it could be cell membrane becuase cells of both have to interact with each other or something. I don't remember the question or the passage, but i think that was my reasoning.

I ended up guessing Cell membrane though. This was the last passage i did and i was running out of time, so it was just guess on my part.
 

Nuel

15+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2003
2,991
1
Rap Group Home
Visit site
Status
pateltr1 said:
what did you put for that crab passage question? I thought it could be nucleus becuase some how it obtains genes for evolution. I also thought it could be cell membrane becuase cells of both have to interact with each other or something. I don't remember the question or the passage, but i think that was my reasoning.

I ended up guessing Cell membrane though. This was the last passage i did and i was running out of time, so it was just guess on my part.
ha ha! now I remember. I chose nucleus.
 

IcedCube

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2004
121
0
Status
yeah i picked nucleus for something.

i had the exact same test, but form DM. i dont remember a cat and mouse thing. perhaps that was the experimental section

adding to noels list

Physics:
rust nail redox
satellite gaining momentum past each moon to saturn
 

Nuel

15+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2003
2,991
1
Rap Group Home
Visit site
Status
Persistence101 said:
Not really...just that for the symbiotic relationship of crabs and echinoderms, which part of the cell might change.
I thought nucleus. chose it as soon as I saw it because of evolution and mutation.
 

Persistence101

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2003
306
0
Visit site
Status
Nuel said:
I thought nucleus. chose it as soon as I saw it because of evolution and mutation.
Wouldn't it just be DNA then? For them to refer to mutations of DNA as changes in the nucleus is kinda vague, don't you think? Because what part of nucleus...the core or nuclear membrane? I dunno...I thought of cell membrane because those might change in order for the crab and echinoderm to better interact with one another. it was a quick guess anyway.
 

Nuel

15+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2003
2,991
1
Rap Group Home
Visit site
Status
Persistence101 said:
Wouldn't it just be DNA then? For them to refer to mutations of DNA as changes in the nucleus is kinda vague, don't you think? Because what part of nucleus...the core or nuclear membrane? I dunno...I thought of cell membrane because those might change in order for the crab and echinoderm to better interact with one another. it was a quick guess anyway.
do you mind the bastards?! they wouldn't say DNA. But they were expecting us to think DNA was in the nucleus. I think it was an experimental passage---it was the most difficult for me (form DK). I read it 3 times. suprisingly i was able to finish 10 minutes early.
 

pateltr1

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
48
0
Status
Nuel said:
do you mind the bastards?! they wouldn't say DNA. But they were expecting us to think DNA was in the nucleus. I think it was an experimental passage---it was the most difficult for me (form DK). I read it 3 times. suprisingly i was able to finish 10 minutes early.

There are experimental passages on MCAT? Wow didn't know that.. I guess If i could choose one passage to be experimental, i would chose this passage.

Btw, there are experimental passages on all three sections?
 
About the Ads

Nuel

15+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2003
2,991
1
Rap Group Home
Visit site
Status
pateltr1 said:
There are experimental passages on MCAT? Wow didn't know that.. I guess If i could choose one passage to be experimental, i would chose this passage.

Btw, there are experimental passages on all three sections?
Yes. it's on the AAMC MCAT page. I am hoping the nail and rust passage of PS was experimental. I guessed on it-->had 4 minutes to do it.

For those who did the nail and rust passage, was it actually hard?
 

Persistence101

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2003
306
0
Visit site
Status
pateltr1 said:
what did you put for that crab passage question? I thought it could be nucleus becuase some how it obtains genes for evolution. I also thought it could be cell membrane becuase cells of both have to interact with each other or something. I don't remember the question or the passage, but i think that was my reasoning.

I ended up guessing Cell membrane though. This was the last passage i did and i was running out of time, so it was just guess on my part.
LOL, I just noticed this post. Yeah, my reasoning was the same as yours. What do you think? Could go either way ,huh? Depends on what AAMC was thinking when they asked this question.
 

pateltr1

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
48
0
Status
Persistence101 said:
LOL, I just noticed this post. Yeah, my reasoning was the same as yours. What do you think? Could go either way ,huh? Depends on what AAMC was thinking when they asked this question.
Yeah, i hope both answers are correct. This question was really vague.

Last question lol, where does antigen bind to ?

variable region light and heavy chains?

or just

variable region light chain?
 

An Yong

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2002
329
1
Visit site
Status
Cerberus said:
Sounds like our BS and VR were identical and I think most of the PS but i cant really rememberPS that well.

Do you remember any specifics on the NASA or Newtons passage?
Was the nasa passage the one about the rising float thing that beamed stuff to the sattelite?

The PS was identical to CT
 

An Yong

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2002
329
1
Visit site
Status
pateltr1 said:
Also, CK was identical to DK, just passages were in different order.

Looks like CT is identical to form DK. Math majors must think alike because, like Cerb, I thought the physical sciences wasn't too bad, but the verbal and bio was a killer.

Just a thought, perhaps we may have same passages but different questions?
 

Persistence101

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2003
306
0
Visit site
Status
pateltr1 said:
Yeah, i hope both answers are correct. This question was really vague.

Last question lol, where does antigen bind to ?

variable region light and heavy chains?

or just

variable region light chain?
both light and heavy chains because they make up the variable region.
 

ifailedmcat

15+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2004
512
15
Status
Attending Physician
Hey there Nuel, and all my fellow DK test takers. It's good to see someone out there who agrees with me on the form content. PR is usually my strongest section and it ended up something like this...

Passage I - Oh hey, pretty easy...
Passage II - Hmm a lil harder, not too bad
Passage III - Ooh trucks? Not so bad...
Passage IV - OMG, what the hell is a wave????
Passage V - #@$!!!
Passage VI-XI - One passage in 5 mins, guessed on last 2...totally raped and left there to rot..

VR, surprisingly not too bad, this is normally my worst section. BS, very challenging, but hey at least I finished. Overall, hopefully my verbal and bio scores pull up physics...or you can expect to see me in August.
 

Nuel

15+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2003
2,991
1
Rap Group Home
Visit site
Status
ifailedmcat said:
Hey there Nuel, and all my fellow DK test takers. It's good to see someone out there who agrees with me on the form content. PR is usually my strongest section and it ended up something like this...

Passage I - Oh hey, pretty easy...
Passage II - Hmm a lil harder, not too bad
Passage III - Ooh trucks? Not so bad...
Passage IV - OMG, what the hell is a wave????
Passage V - #@$!!!
Passage VI-XI - One passage in 5 mins, guessed on last 2...totally raped and left there to rot..

VR, surprisingly not too bad, this is normally my worst section. BS, very challenging, but hey at least I finished. Overall, hopefully my verbal and bio scores pull up physics...or you can expect to see me in August.
As I said before , form DK had 8 physics passages and 3 in g.chem. For VR I really can't tell. I got distracted midway as I had those 10-question passages and painful race against time--had to finish. Sometimes I think, "What if you got a 6 on VR? :scared: ---", or an 11 :D? Can't wait to get my scores and decide whether I will face August again or stand tall like an MCAT survivor.
 

ifailedmcat

15+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2004
512
15
Status
Attending Physician
Yea...verbal is really hard to gauge, it feels like a wildcard section. Hopefully I'll have "lottery-winning" luck, and bust out with a 15 :) I know that this HAS to have happened to SOMEONE at some point in time. I'm sure there exist the lucky few who have guessed their way to scores of 13+ :D
 

Nuel

15+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2003
2,991
1
Rap Group Home
Visit site
Status
ifailedmcat said:
Yea...verbal is really hard to gauge, it feels like a wildcard section. Hopefully I'll have "lottery-winning" luck, and bust out with a 15 :) I know that this HAS to have happened to SOMEONE at some point in time. I'm sure there exist the lucky few who have guessed their way to scores of 13+ :D
Looks credible. Luck--some people call it Providence--has something to do with wild card exams like this. I have only waited 5 days, and an extra 55 days just looks impossible.
 

horrorshow

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 20, 2004
17
0
Status
i'm a first time poster and i just found out about this place the other day. for all my fellow form DKers, did you guys finish verbal? man, the other two sections were ok, but verbal was ridiculously hard for me. I didn't get to that last music trance passage, i just filled in C's. can't wait till june 7th....
 
About the Ads