Form Needed for Controlled Substance Rx

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aznshy2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was working the other day, and my pharamcist told me that for all Rx containing a controlled substance, the Rx must be written on a special Rx form, something called "Temporary Resistance Form."

I don't really think I heard him right. What is the correct name of such a form?

And for instance, if someone hands me a Rx with Motrin and Vicodin on it, and both are written on the same sheet of regular Rx paper, can the doctor just submit an extra form for the Vicodin, or must the doctor write the Vicodin using the special form?

Members don't see this ad.

It would depend on the state where you practice. There are no Federal regulations.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was working the other day, and my pharamcist told me that for all Rx containing a controlled substance, the Rx must be written on a special Rx form, something called "Temporary Resistance Form."

I don't really think I heard him right. What is the correct name of such a form?

And for instance, if someone hands me a Rx with Motrin and Vicodin on it, and both are written on the same sheet of regular Rx paper, can the doctor just submit an extra form for the Vicodin, or must the doctor write the Vicodin using the special form?

If it's CA then I believe it's Tamper Resistant, not temporary resistance. You can't write for multiple Rx's on the CII forms, only one drug at a time. Not sure how it works for any other state.

If it's CA then I believe it's Tamper Resistant, not temporary resistance. You can't write for multiple Rx's on the CII forms, only one drug at a time. Not sure how it works for any other state.

That is the way it is in Kentucky. However, all controlled substances must be wrote on the blank, unless they are called in, and in that case the pharmacy can write it however they usually take phoned in scripts. You can't phone in C-IIs however.

YES!
TAMPER RESISTANT!!!!

That makes a whole lot of sense now.
You cannot tamper with a Rx easily, therefore that name.

I swear, I asked my preceptor 3 times, and he kept on telling me temporary is right. He probably just thinks I'm a fob and can't say it right.

Anyway, regarding that, CII, inspired by the Kentucky post...

In CA, can you phone in for CII?
Tell me more about Control Substances Laws in CA, please? :D

YES!
TAMPER RESISTANT!!!!

That makes a whole lot of sense now.
You cannot tamper with a Rx easily, therefore that name.

I swear, I asked my preceptor 3 times, and he kept on telling me temporary is right. He probably just thinks I'm a fob and can't say it right.

Anyway, regarding that, CII, inspired by the Kentucky post...

In CA, can you phone in for CII?
Tell me more about Control Substances Laws in CA, please? :D

I don't know that much really, but I'm pretty darn sure you can't phone them in. I'm not even sure you can fax them, but I seem to recall that you can. I'd say one of the many other CA folks with more than 8 days experience would be better suited for that question.

i'm almost positive you can't phone in CII's in california (at least at CVS). they need to bring in hard copies...and you can't fax them in either.

In Illinois, the only time you can phone in CIIs is in cases of emergency, and then the prescriber has to send you the prescription in 7 days.
There are some exceptions for people in LTC.

this is interesting

CII's can't be phoned in, except in the case of an emergency. A hard copy then has to be submitted.

ever try to tell a doc trying to call in a c-ii over the phone that him not wanting to stick around the office long enough for the patient to return and pick up a hand written c-ii is NOT an emergency? had this happen a week or two back.

In New York, oral orders are able to dispense #5 for CII, and the cover needs to be received in the pharmacy about 72 hours from dispense. Each Rx can only take one medication.