"Formal" pre-med post bacc programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jean Valjean

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
There has been mention here of sometimes good and sometimes "formal" post bacc programs. UNCC here in charlotte, other than doing recommendations by committee, does not have any formal program other than putting together a flyer of which classes to take, some pre-med clubs, some contacts, and contacts for hospital volunteer coordinators. The catch is since it is not a program working toward a degree or certificate it is *not* eligible for financial aid - they won't even let you *apply* for a student loan :mad: . Is there such a thing as a formal post bacc pre-med program that is even eligible for financial aid (student loans)?
Remember reading on this forum somewhere about one such program and the students in it even skipped the centralized application process because some of these programs had "deals" with med schools. Is that true???!!
If not, I'll have to get creative on how to finance this. The catch there is that it isn't reasonable to work while taking a full course load, and if you don't take a full course load and work then adcoms won't be sure if you can handle a full course load - it is easier to make good grades when you are only taking one or two classes a semester. Plus how long would that take if you have to meet all of your requirements post bacc! Any help would not go unappreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Postbacc's depend upon the type of student you are. If you are like me, (already have taken premed requirements and are retaking some for better grades), you can take whatever you want to improve your gpa (I'm doing this for a year). If you haven't taken the premed requirements, most students take two years, taking usually 2 classes per semester and also working/volunteering etc. (This is what I've heard). I haven't heard of any postbacc programs that allow students to get financial aid. I'm not eligible for financial aid, but I am doing my postbacc at Hunter in NYC. Programs at Columbia, Penn, American Univ. etc are a lot more expensive. One option for you could be to take 2 classes a semester at a state school and work part time to pay for it...good luck and let us know what happens!

I think the MSAR or Princeton Review or Kaplan books have a list of post-bacc programs. They are usually geared toward disadvantaged applicants and/or those who have already been rejected from medical school once. Check out some medical school admissions books, and I'm sure you'll find the info. In addition to these, there are "formalized" programs that are not post-bacc per se, but function in the same manner. For example, Chicago Med has an Applied Physiology Master's Program - if you keep certain grades, you are essentially guaranteed a spot in the medical school. Same goes with MCP Hahnemann in Philly. I do not remember what the programs they offer are called, but I know they have something. I also know Boston U. has a program, but do not know what it is called. When it is a program like these, where you are going for a "degree," you can get financial aid. Hope this is helpful. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
The University of Washington offers financial aid (Stafford Loans only) to folks accepted into their matriculated (formal?) post-bac program. Spots are very limited. Acceptance is offered to those who are seeking a second bachelor's degree and those preparing for entrance into a professional program. However, the matriculated post-bac program appears to be very competitive. It is based upon previous GPA (only grades earned at 4 year accredited college received while working towards first bachelors degree are factored) and a statement of purpose. I would suspect that admission to the matriculated program for those seeking to prepare for entrance into a professional school is most often offered to folks who had a good GPA and who did not take many of the professional school prereq's on their way to earning their first bachelor's degree.

The Boston University School of Medicine offers a Master's degree program in Medical Sciences (you graduate with a M.A. in Medical Sciences). A laboratory or library-research thesis is required and may be completed in practically any biomedical discipline from immunology to pharmacology to neuropsychology. In a Platonic world, the degree can be completed in one year but most students take two years -- one year taking courses, and another year collecting data, writing up their thesis, and working on applications.

Click here for more info: http://www.bu.edu/bulletins/gms/item16/

Cheers,

Together

There is a formal Post Bacc at Creighton University. It is very competitive and they only accept 7 people each year. They have a guaranteed entrance to their med school and while in the program they pay you an stipend. I was in it last year and I just finished my first quiz in med school.
Good lucknull

There are a variety of postbac programs in the US, most but not all restricted to students who have taken few or none of the science courses required for admission to medical school and other doctoral health professions schools.

There is no such animal as unqualified "guaranteed" admission to anything. Guarantees apply only if the courses have been completed at a grade level specified by the professional school and by earning (if required) acceptable MCAT scores and by no negative faculty opinion. That may not be specified or it is mentioned only in the small print, which too many folks overlook.

www-hl.syr.edu/hpap

has the most comprehensive but not exhaustive listing of US postbac programs.

The MCP Hahnemann post-bacc program is called IMS (Interdisciplinary Medical Sciences). It's a one-year program that is a non-degree program, but you can stick around a second year to get a master's if you want (most people leave after the first year if they have acceptances though). There is financial aid available for BOTH the non-degree/degree routes (all in the form of loans).
Also, if you are looking for a post-bacc program to take all of your pre-med requirements (ie. you didn't take them in college), MCP Hahnemann also has a program called MSP (Medical Sciences Preparatory) that is one year long, non-degree granting, and has financial aid available. Again, if you want to get a master's, you can stick around a second year and do the IMS year (you only get a master's after the IMS year if you are coming from the MSP program).
Lastly, these programs are great, but they are in no way an "in" with MCP. I did IMS last year, and I'd say only about a tenth of our class was accepted into the first-year med school class. In the end, it's what you put into the classes, because a not-so-stellar performance in these programs can seal your fate... happy hunting!