Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Format for LORs?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by TheGreatHunt, Apr 6, 2007.

1. TheGreatHunt

TheGreatHunt High Performance

Pre-Medical
    My professors keep asking me how to format their LORs, and honestly, besides some very few tid bits of information that schools are "Looking for in lettes of recommendation" I have no idea what kind of format I should request from them. Anyone give me a little advice on the subject please?

(Save the jokes for further down the thread please ;))

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. degoo_

Medical Student
    I don't know how they are structured in general (I'm sure its a little different depending on the professor), but the fact that the professors are asking you how to structure it probably isn't a good sign. Do you know them extremely well and can they really comment on you? Otherwise, perhaps there are other professors who are more able to write the letter?

The one LOR that saw: Prof started off by describing a little about herself, what her research is about and where I fit into the picture. Then focus was on me- personal qualities, fit into medicine, potential, and then closed with her endorsement of me.

4. Darkshooter326

Darkshooter326 Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    Probably include a little info about your mental capacity, humanity, work ethic, etc.

(ps- it helps if they write mostly positive things :laugh:)

5. Surf Rx

I've heard this once before also.

6. AnEyeLikeMars

AnEyeLikeMars Member

Pre-Medical
    I agree. It seems wierd to me that a prof would need formatting help for LORs.

Anyway, the general format seems to be:

This is how I know X.

Body of the letter describing who X is as a student and person; strengths; how X compares to other students I've dealt with; weaknesses

I would recommend X for medical because of the aforementioned qualities.

Obviously the format can vary...the goal is to vouch for your candidacy to med school, and there are many ways to do that.