Format for LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheGreatHunt

High Performance
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My professors keep asking me how to format their LORs, and honestly, besides some very few tid bits of information that schools are "Looking for in lettes of recommendation" I have no idea what kind of format I should request from them. Anyone give me a little advice on the subject please?

(Save the jokes for further down the thread please ;))

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how they are structured in general (I'm sure its a little different depending on the professor), but the fact that the professors are asking you how to structure it probably isn't a good sign. Do you know them extremely well and can they really comment on you? Otherwise, perhaps there are other professors who are more able to write the letter?

The one LOR that saw: Prof started off by describing a little about herself, what her research is about and where I fit into the picture. Then focus was on me- personal qualities, fit into medicine, potential, and then closed with her endorsement of me.

Probably include a little info about your mental capacity, humanity, work ethic, etc.

(ps- it helps if they write mostly positive things :laugh:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how they are structured in general (I'm sure its a little different depending on the professor), but the fact that the professors are asking you how to structure it probably isn't a good sign. Do you know them extremely well and can they really comment on you? Otherwise, perhaps there are other professors who are more able to write the letter?

The one LOR that saw: Prof started off by describing a little about herself, what her research is about and where I fit into the picture. Then focus was on me- personal qualities, fit into medicine, potential, and then closed with her endorsement of me.

I agree. It seems wierd to me that a prof would need formatting help for LORs.

Anyway, the general format seems to be:

This is how I know X.

Body of the letter describing who X is as a student and person; strengths; how X compares to other students I've dealt with; weaknesses

I would recommend X for medical because of the aforementioned qualities.

Obviously the format can vary...the goal is to vouch for your candidacy to med school, and there are many ways to do that.