Former Military Professionals/Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Temonio

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My current COMD (Utah State) GPA is only a 3.5 and I don't see it coming up too much higher before graduating. Do any of you former military members on this forum have any insight as to whether or not my 20 years of military service will help my application? If I do well on the GRE, could I expect to get into an AuD program or will my GPA make me less than competitive?

Just curious what to expect. Taking off the uniform after so long is a scary step within itself. However, I'd love to have some sort of insight as to what will be under my foot when DO take that step.

Thanks in advance for any info you all have.

Members don't see this ad.

Temonio, I am a first year AuD student at UT Dallas (started this fall) and the application committee really liked that I was a USAF veteran. Here's a little about my background and hopefully this will help you out. I graduated with a BA in Communication Sciences & Disorders in 2008 with a cumulative GPA of 3.69. I was in ROTC so after graduation I served for four years and then separated. I spent one year working as a substitute teacher and then applied in February of this year. Even though I didn't have any experience working with audiologists or doing any type of related research, I made sure that my statement of purpose emphasized how my military experience helped shape how well I can work as a team as well as my leadership experience. During my interview they told me that having real world experience is a plus because it's something that students coming straight from undergrad don't have. My recommendation would be to try to relate your military experience without using military jargon. They want to make sure that potential students can succeed in both an academic and hands-on clinical environment. Also, I had my supervisors in the AF write my letters of recommendation and even though they didn't know anything about audiology, they wrote about my work ethic and overall character.