Former UPMC Vice Chair's new career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BruiservonWillebrand

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quite a bit on this already

Reactions: 1 user
One of my good friends and colleagues dropped out of clinical Radiation Oncology to run his own start-up. He has created a "smart" vascular access port.

Members don't see this ad :)
The point of this thread was not the discussion of alternative career paths per se, but what has happened to this former UPMC Vice Chair.

The point of this thread was not the discussion of alternative career paths per se, but what has happened to this former UPMC Chairman.
Perhaps a thread title change is in order. Not sure of story behind Dr heron, seemed like a nice, knowledgeable guy when I met him, certainly more personable as the vice chair than the chair himself

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like some alternative medicine stuff that works primarily on the placebo effect given no insurance coverage. Just talking about the therapy itself. Maybe it's more effective than snake oil. Hope patients aren't charged too much for it.

I've always had good encounters with Dr. Heron and he is a great speaker. I am surprised that he is doing something non-oncology related, but whenever he spoke, he was a data driven guy. Hopefully, it is the same with this product.

I've always had good encounters with Dr. Heron and he is a great speaker. I am surprised that he is doing something non-oncology related, but whenever he spoke, he was a data driven guy. Hopefully, it is the same with this product.

5117520.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
"Walking away from 100-hour workweeks at UPMC..."

Somehow I think that number is inflated.

The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step.
The US Rad Onc job market just improved to the tune of one. Things are looking up?

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't exactly leave on good terms ...

Exactly. A vice-chair left a rad onc department and didn't go to another academic position or continue working as a radiation oncologist, either at his own department or somewhere in the country, but instead went into the red-light therapy business.

Anybody who thinks he did so willingly.... I have some red light therapy devices to sell you.

I will say, people seem to have a strange obsession with UPMC on here sometimes, like across multiple users. I mean it's not technically against ToS but this seems like a weird sort of call-out thread. Medgator's got his beef with WVU/Arkansas/LIJ residency programs. Nobody seems to know enough to talk about what's going on with Jefferson

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Actual testimonial:
“Without red light therapy, I don’t know if I’d have had it in me to tell people that I worked 100 hours per week.”

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step.
The US Rad Onc job market just improved to the tune of one. Things are looking up?
This plus Steve Hahn taking FDA makes it two!!

• Haha
Exactly. A vice-chair left a rad onc department and didn't go to another academic position or continue working as a radiation oncologist, either at his own department or somewhere in the country, but instead went into the red-light therapy business.
Bad job market/alternative career?

You know the job market and future is dismal if a vice chair is leaving his position to treat people with laser therapy.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
You know the job market and future is dismal if a vice chair is leaving his position to treat people with laser therapy.

Another great look for radiation oncology

Seem anybody with a little experience and credibility left are looking for the exits.

Heron is an alright dude but it always seemed like he was more interested in the next big scheme that would make him money. Anyway if he’s out of the RO bussiness as a chair who could literally do anything, it’s another canary in the coal mine.

Med oncs have immuno and CAR-T

Rad oncs get to play with red lights that look like tanning beds!

Anybody who thinks he did so willingly.... I have some red light therapy devices to sell you.

I will say, people seem to have a strange obsession with UPMC on here sometimes, like across multiple users. I mean it's not technically against ToS but this seems like a weird sort of call-out thread. Medgator's got his beef with WVU/Arkansas/LIJ residency programs. Nobody seems to know enough to talk about what's going on with Jefferson

I second all of this. I know several people who have left rad onc entirely either temporarily or permanently. Some positions are so malignant that people are unable or unwilling to stay but then there's nowhere else to go.

People IRL stare at me in disbelief when I say this stuff. Then I start naming people they know and just get blank stares, disbelief, and/or excuses as to why it won't happen to them.

The story is that DH has been pretty insanely busy at UPMC...and also UPMC compensation system is very corporate and productivity based. He has made a LOT of money as a rad onc. A lot. he was done.

He took an early retirement, and left UPMC in a lurch. Left pretty quickly, not on good terms.

this adds salt to the wound from what I understand, have heard, that he left to start his own business. But make no mistake - this business is classic 'rich guy' stuff - the guy has tons of cash and took well advantage of the UPMC comepensation/retirement set-up. All those RVUs added up. He's only 50 and bored, so this 'lark' (I mean how can this possibly be successful' will prob keep him entertained.

I second all of this. I know several people who have left rad onc entirely either temporarily or permanently. Some positions are so malignant that people are unable or unwilling to stay but then there's nowhere else to go.

People IRL stare at me in disbelief when I say this stuff. Then I start naming people they know and just get blank stares, disbelief, and/or excuses as to why it won't happen to them.
My guess is he didn't want to leave the Pitt metro area and which is pretty much controlled by either UPMC or AGH. I'm sure he could have moved somewhere else to be a rad onc, or he gets to still go to Steelers games and hawk red light therapy.

I've heard he did quite well financially as xrthopeful alludes to

Any indication if TLC is still offering specials on this therapy?

The story is that DH has been pretty insanely busy at UPMC...and also UPMC compensation system is very corporate and productivity based. He has made a LOT of money as a rad onc. A lot. he was done.

He took an early retirement, and left UPMC in a lurch. Left pretty quickly, not on good terms.

this adds salt to the wound from what I understand, have heard, that he left to start his own business. But make no mistake - this business is classic 'rich guy' stuff - the guy has tons of cash and took well advantage of the UPMC comepensation/retirement set-up. All those RVUs added up. He's only 50 and bored, so this 'lark' (I mean how can this possibly be successful' will prob keep him entertained.

No. Not what happened :)
But, it’s a cute story.

No. Not what happened :)
But, it’s a cute story.

That’s what I heard from someone with direct knowledge of the story. Maybe the person lied to me. Maybe you should share what you heard?

The story I heard is that he was rude and pushy with junior faculty (and residents), who resigned en masse last year. After he was finally kicked out, he is not employable in the region due to the "non-compete".

There are lots of rumors about that situation, some pretty spicy.

• Haha
There’s always more to the story I suppose!

The story I heard is that he was rude and pushy with junior faculty (and residents), who resigned en masse last year. After he was finally kicked out, he is not employable in the region due to the "non-compete".
gosh pretty surprised at that. I hate to speak ill of any fellow rad onc and Dwight is one I never had any bad interactions with. He and I were around each other a lot in the 2005-10 time frame and I just really liked the dude.
As an aside, recommend never inquiring about LLLT (red light) with THOR. They email you rest of your life!
WGoscmO.png

The emails are less stoppable than a poorly differentiated locally advanced pancreatic adeno. (Unless you’re Chris Crane, who is the only man known to cure them AND stop the emails)

• Haha

Getting closer. Rude and pushy not the adjectives I’d use. But not going to talk about it anymore. Just pushing back on this idea that he just happily left because he was too rich (had @KHE88 money) and wanted to work with some weird light company venture in town.

• Haha
I agree that his non-compete likely is affecting his ability to work clinically after leaving UPMC and he probably doesn't want to move out of Pittsburgh.

I’m not a lawyer. But if you are pushed out of job then the non compete should not be enforceable. An average lawyer could stomp all over it. An employer taking away your livelihood is an easy lawsuit to win. I know this is state dependent so I could be wrong.

Can’t speak about DH - but I could come up with some interesting adjectives for the chair at UPMC.

I’m not a lawyer. But if you are pushed out of job then the non compete should not be enforceable. An average lawyer could stomp all over it. An employer taking away your livelihood is an easy lawsuit to win. I know this is state dependent so I could be wrong.

Completely state dependent. Enforceable in FL (TX?), illegal in CA afaik.

I've been on both sides of it (had to leave my first job out of training because of one), so the important thing is to know your STATE law regarding restrictive covenants. If they are enforceable, try to whittle them down during contract negotiations (harder to do in the current environment), or at least get a "carrot" thrown it, like paying your tail if you have to leave without cause etc

Can’t speak about DH - but I could come up with some interesting adjectives for the chair at UPMC.
Yup

Not speaking about that situation, but in a general sense, if you resign (despite the circumstances), unless part of your separation voids the non-compete, I believe it would hold? And then speaking about that situation, UPMC and AGH are sworn enemies, and AGH is the only other game in town. With his history, he could become a chairman somewhere else quite easily (there are people who's CVs are a lot thinner than his, that have led a lot smaller organizations than he has, and that have accomplished a lot less than he has). The fact that he's not makes you wonder ...

Hospital contracts (incl. the employer in question) are usually agreements with an expiration term. Hospital does not need a cause in order to not to renew. They just let you go with 3-6 mnoths notice, and non-compete stays with you.

Not speaking about that situation, but in a general sense, if you resign (despite the circumstances), unless part of your separation voids the non-compete, I believe it would hold?
Correct. Non-competes hold for any reason in many contracts after you sign the dotted line.

Like I said, he probably had more interest in remaining in Pittsburgh than heading up an RO dept elsewhere and having to relocate after so many years.

not able to comment further for obvious reasons, but check out these links

Honest question: why does anyone care what this cat is up to or why he left upmc?

Honest question: why does anyone care what this cat is up to or why he left upmc?

Reasonable question. I guess it started with the idea that him working for the laser light show people meant the job market sucked. Which isn’t actually why he left. And, which it doesn’t, yet. But it soon will. And then let the usual suspects begin to bombard us with: 1) hypofx 2) APM 3) double the residents 4) general supervision. Rinse. Repeat.

. And, which it doesn’t, yet. But it soon will. And then let the usual suspects begin to bombard us with: 1) hypofx 2) APM 3) double the residents 4) general supervision. Rinse. Repeat.
It already does in my neck of the woods and many others from what I hear through the grapevine.

One could say that UPMCs complete takeover and dominance of healthcare in Western PA and surrounding areas also "sucks" as in there is basically one really large employer (and one much smaller competitor) so the market there is there take it or leave it. It also sucks if you are a consumer of healthcare there at all.

I still think DH elected to venture into something else to stay local rather than venture out of Western PA to continue to practice rad onc

I do have one question: is this cold laser therapy for oral mucositis a total scam, or there is a reasonable chance it can hold up in placebo-controlled trial?

I do have one question: is this cold laser therapy for oral mucositis a total scam, or there is a reasonable chance it can hold up in placebo-controlled trial?
Fwiw, DH did treat a fair amount of head and neck, hopefully he's being honest about its potential benefits there

Reasonable question. I guess it started with the idea that him working for the laser light show people meant the job market sucked. Which isn’t actually why he left. And, which it doesn’t, yet. But it soon will. And then let the usual suspects begin to bombard us with: 1) hypofx 2) APM 3) double the residents 4) general supervision. Rinse. Repeat.

I just think there is some infatuation on the board with internal politics at UPitt. Dont know DH personally or how he runs a department, but always seemed smart and dynamic at ASTRO. The guy has probably done very well for himself and no desire to leave pitt, and actually would be fun to start a little venture like this .Maybe I will try this redlight therapy locally and see if it helps. Have also been meaning to try whole body cryotherapy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.