Former UPMC Vice Chair's new career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It already does in my neck of the woods and many others from what I hear through the grapevine.

One could say that UPMCs complete takeover and dominance of healthcare in Western PA and surrounding areas also "sucks" as in there is basically one really large employer (and one much smaller competitor) so the market there is there take it or leave it. It also sucks if you are a consumer of healthcare there at all.

I still think DH elected to venture into something else to stay local rather than venture out of Western PA to continue to practice rad onc

UPMC should have been broken up years ago. Now they have their own health plan. Their “competitors” in the region are a joke until they reach the philly market.

There are the quintessential Big Corperate Hospital. The “university” is just a marketing ploy at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I was serious about this laser, comes up a lot.

I just think there is some infatuation on the board with internal politics at UPitt. Dont know DH personally or how he runs a department, but always seemed smart and dynamic at ASTRO. The guy has probably done very well for himself and no desire to leave pitt, and actually would be fun to start a little venture like this .Maybe I will try this redlight therapy locally and see if it helps. Have also been meaning to try whole body cryotherapy.

I do have one question: is this cold laser therapy for oral mucositis a total scam, or there is a reasonable chance it can hold up in placebo-controlled trial?
Supposedly there is a lot of data re mucositis, incl randomized. IMHO the only reason it hasn’t taken off is reimbursement. The equipment isn’t altogether cheap and it takes clinic manpower/womanpower to admin the therapy.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Supposedly there is a lot of data re mucositis, incl randomized. IMHO the only reason it hasn’t taken off is reimbursement. The equipment isn’t altogether cheap and it takes clinic manpower/womanpower to admin the therapy.
do you know the mechanism of how it works?

Props to Dr Heron if he hires Frau Farbissina to shout "BRING OUT THE LASER!" before every treatment. And double props if he refers to it in front of patients as a "frickin laser".

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
BOAR ON THE FLOOR!

Reactions: 1 user
1573060256803.png

Reactions: 1 users
Everything we do in rad onc is essentially frickin lasers #nosharks

On that note, I think this thread has run its course. As much as I love me some Austin Powers, I don't see a ton more productive discussion being had here. If people want to discuss the merits of cold laser for mucositis management, please feel free to start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.