USMLE Found day 1 easy??? Why??? Help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrCustals

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I took day 1, and I want to share my experience due to the odd feeling I'm having. I am an old IMG graduate that decided after years to go for IM in US. It went really bad in STEP 1 (very rusty on basic sciences) and CK, though I past on my first attempt. CS went horribly for me, I failed twice due to problems with the patient note most of the time. I spent around 3 years in this process. Now, I start preparing for STEP 3, and I worked my ass off. I had ~3 mo dedicated time (7-9 hrs per day) just on ONLINEMEDED and UWORLD. First time around I averaged 53 on UWORLD, got 51% on UWSA (I think it was like a 185). I felt kind of frustrated. I did a second time around UWORLD and got a 63% on UWSA 2 got like 53%, I think that is barely passing. So here I am 4 weeks away from day 1 and feel like crap. I called a friend who had taken the step 3 and he told me I should reschedule, I ignored him.

I bought MTB for step 3 and went over my weakest topics. I worked on my wrong answers and was averaging in the 70s. Forward to today, I sat for my day 1 yesterday, I started my exam (almost soiling my pants), and to my surprise it was not that hard. I had worked on my biostats, memorized all formulas, wrote them out on the scrapsheet, etc. I did 3 blocks back to back, fully energized, took a 20 min break, then did the other 3 blocks back to back. I was done, and I felt that the questions were not that hard, I mean not like Im getting 100% questions right, but I think I can definitely pass this exam. The thing is that I see many people who did better than me on other Steps, Qbanks, UWSA, etc. and say the test was hard and felt miserable. I feel I screwed up, how could I find this ease if people who average more than me say otherwise??

I am taking my day 2 in 10 days, and Im focusing 70% on CCS and 30% on MCQs now.

Can someone help my frustration?

Members don't see this ad.

Yesterday I took day 1, and I want to share my experience due to the odd feeling I'm having. I am an old IMG graduate that decided after years to go for IM in US. It went really bad in STEP 1 (very rusty on basic sciences) and CK, though I past on my first attempt. CS went horribly for me, I failed twice due to problems with the patient note most of the time. I spent around 3 years in this process. Now, I start preparing for STEP 3, and I worked my ass off. I had ~3 mo dedicated time (7-9 hrs per day) just on ONLINEMEDED and UWORLD. First time around I averaged 53 on UWORLD, got 51% on UWSA (I think it was like a 185). I felt kind of frustrated. I did a second time around UWORLD and got a 63% on UWSA 2 got like 53%, I think that is barely passing. So here I am 4 weeks away from day 1 and feel like crap. I called a friend who had taken the step 3 and he told me I should reschedule, I ignored him.

I bought MTB for step 3 and went over my weakest topics. I worked on my wrong answers and was averaging in the 70s. Forward to today, I sat for my day 1 yesterday, I started my exam (almost soiling my pants), and to my surprise it was not that hard. I had worked on my biostats, memorized all formulas, wrote them out on the scrapsheet, etc. I did 3 blocks back to back, fully energized, took a 20 min break, then did the other 3 blocks back to back. I was done, and I felt that the questions were not that hard, I mean not like Im getting 100% questions right, but I think I can definitely pass this exam. The thing is that I see many people who did better than me on other Steps, Qbanks, UWSA, etc. and say the test was hard and felt miserable. I feel I screwed up, how could I find this ease if people who average more than me say otherwise??

I am taking my day 2 in 10 days, and Im focusing 70% on CCS and 30% on MCQs now.

Can someone help my frustration?
I just took it last 2 weeks ago, day 1 is straight forward but day 2 is challangable for me, focus on CCS