Fourth year rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taloddar2002

Slacker
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm currently a 3rd year pharmacy student at the University of Kentucky who needs some advice regarding 4th year rotations. I'm planning on completing a PGY-1 residency upon graduation and I'd like to know if there are any rotations that would make me more competitive or a better resident in general. Some of the rotations I'm on the fence about include Peds (I don't plan on specializing in peds, but it's probably a skill I need to know?), surgery, Heme/onc, ID, etc.

Also, we are required to do a community pharmacy and ambulatory selective rotation. Any advice regarding these would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I'm currently a 3rd year pharmacy student at the University of Kentucky who needs some advice regarding 4th year rotations. I'm planning on completing a PGY-1 residency upon graduation and I'd like to know if there are any rotations that would make me more competitive or a better resident in general. Some of the rotations I'm on the fence about include Peds (I don't plan on specializing in peds, but it's probably a skill I need to know?), surgery, Heme/onc, ID, etc.

Also, we are required to do a community pharmacy and ambulatory selective rotation. Any advice regarding these would be appreciated also.

Thanks for the help!
If you wanted to do a residency you should have gone to med school.

Thats a little abrasive and uncalled for. Looks like our OP here is genuinely looking for advice.

Good grades and any in-patient experience will go a long way. Keep good relations with faculty members as they will come in handy when its time for those recommendation letters.

Members don't see this ad :)

Doing a residency is not for everyone, just like working for WAGs is not for everyone. No need to be so negative, be happy!;)

i know i'm just a P1, but from what i've heard about residencies and rotations, internships during the summers with a clinical pharmacist can make you a better applicant for residencies. On those fourth year rotations, i think you're just getting exposure to different areas in pharmacy, so your rotations will not separate you much from other fourth year pharmacy students

i know i'm just a P1, but from what i've heard about residencies and rotations, internships during the summers with a clinical pharmacist can make you a better applicant for residencies. On those fourth year rotations, i think you're just getting exposure to different areas in pharmacy, so your rotations will not separate you much from other fourth year pharmacy students

Not true. Most residency programs will look at the "quality" of your 4th yr rotations. If you spent your elective rotations filling rx's at CVS or rounding with a critical care team...it can make a difference.

Advice: Pick rotatons that are interesting to you and that will challenge you. It is your time to get exposed to different areas of pharmacy and explore your interests. Work hard and you can get good letters of rec from your preceptors.

Try to find amb care or community pharmacy programs that do patient care activities. When I was a student I got to do immunizations, lipid screenings, and MTM on my community rotation. I did my amb care rotation in a coumadin clinic.

I would recommend doing as many rotations in the hospital as possible. I did an ICU rotation that was really good. I did Peds too and Geriatrics coming with a MD.

Also, kiss your preceptor's butt!!! Especially if you want a residency there!!