FP/ER Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

californiasky

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
WHat are people's thoughts on FP/ER combined residencies. What are the pros and cons. I've heard before that many ER physicians finish off their career doing FP...

Members don't see this ad.

californiasky said:
WHat are people's thoughts on FP/ER combined residencies. What are the pros and cons. I've heard before that many ER physicians finish off their career doing FP...

That would be very incorrect. Most finish their career in their career ie EM. It would be virtually impossible to practice as an FP with EM training especially if one did EM solely for say 15-30 years and THEN went back to FP. The whole field would have changed 3 times over by that time. INcluding every preventive guidelines, HTN meds, diabetes management etc...NONE OF WHICH EM DOES. (thank goodness)

I'm sure foughtfyr will be here soon to elaborate.

later

12R34Y said:
That would be very incorrect. Most finish their career in their career ie EM. It would be virtually impossible to practice as an FP with EM training especially if one did EM solely for say 15-30 years and THEN went back to FP. The whole field would have changed 3 times over by that time. INcluding every preventive guidelines, HTN meds, diabetes management etc...NONE OF WHICH EM DOES. (thank goodness)

I'm sure foughtfyr will be here soon to elaborate.

later

Incoming!!! :eek: foughtFYR in the hole :D

if one did a dual em/fp residency ( DO only ) and worked 2 days a week in em and 2 days a week in fp one could keep up with both fields and transition to entirely one field full time fairly easily.....lot of work to keep 2 board certifications active though......