Fraternity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rchuloholla

Probationary Status
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
waht do Adcoms generally think bout fraternites? does it look bad that you show it on ur application?

Members don't see this ad.

rchuloholla said:
waht do Adcoms generally think bout fraternites? does it look bad that you show it on ur application?

no, why would it? it shows that you actually had a life (and maybe actually got laid a few times).

WS

Members don't see this ad :)
whiskeysour said:
(and maybe actually got laid a few times).

lol.

I really can't see being in a Frat as a negative thing. Haven't most U.S. presidents been part of some fraternal-type organization? The first dentist/president? Brilliant!

yea am VP and community service chair

As a former ******* frat-boy who thought I "had a life", I doubt they give a rat's ass.

rchuloholla said:

Some of the frats on my campus are very legite groups and if you come across as being smart it can only help you.

However, if you come across as someone that is portrays the stereotypical frat guy...then it's not the frat that hurts you, it's your personality.

All i know is that at times I wish I would have been part of a fraternity. I think you most likely have ALOT to talk about in terms of campus involvement and community service if you're anything like some of the fraternities on our campus.

It's all how you convey the organizations you were involved in and I think it can only help you. Best of luck though.

SaxyDucky said:
...All i know is that at times I wish I would have been part of a fraternity. I think you most likely have ALOT to talk about in terms of campus involvement and community service if you're anything like some of the fraternities on our campus.
You gotta be kidding me. The frats at the 3 schools I attended were nothing but a way to buy a social life and to have guaranteed drinking buddies. They all bitched and fussed about the required "community" services.

worst yet you think they're your friends, but when my buddy got jumped they all sat there and stared holding their beers while he was booted in the face a couple times...*******.

toofache32 said:
You gotta be kidding me. The frats at the 3 schools I attended were nothing but a way to buy a social life and to have guaranteed drinking buddies. They all bitched and fussed about the required "community" services.

Well then that wouldn't be worth bringing up. I would think if they asked about the fraternity and you couldn't produce any hard evidence of QUALITY social things or community service then they could see right through it to the real purpose.

But yeah...you explained a majority of the fraternity interaction I've had. There are some good frats on campus though.

bigsilvo said:
worst yet you think they're your friends, but when my buddy got jumped they all sat there and stared holding their beers while he was booted in the face a couple times...*******.

Well people have mixed feeling about fraternities. Don't jump down my throat, I personally have befriended many fraternities and from an insiders point of view I lost a lot of respect for the idea and have developed a rather negative impression of them (I'm sure you can think back to some of your own likely deeds and understand why). I know for a fact that I am not the only person who feels this way, and it's quite possible that your interviewer might feel the same way.

With that in mind, I'd mention it because it is a big part of you, a defining influence. However, I would try my hardest to keep a professional tone when discussing your frat days and highlight your comminity service and leadership experiences, because most people know what frats really entail. But I think if you put the right spin on it, it could come across fabulously!