Who is/was in a social fraternity here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

piratedental

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a predental student in a social fraternity and I'm managing to get my grades up after the first year. We drink heavily, find reasons to get more drunk,throw at least one 500 people + party every month and plug as much strange as possible. That being said we do lots of community service and are on good terms with the police and the university. The vice president and president of the SGA in the last two years have been from my fraternity. We also are social/polite with everyone and most dental/medical students are surprised that I'm in fraternity. They can't understand how I can manage this because they are always studying. They are also older than me and have taken harder courses so I can't compare what they have done to my first year ****ty GPA . I had 1.7 but now I have 3.6 this semester with genetics and chem II + 3 repeats. I need to get in the predental honor society (after getting combined gpa 3.0) and also do shadowing and continue to get good grades. I gotta a couple questions for those who are/were greek undergraduates.

How would you describe your experience?

How much were you involved(how much time spent/drinking/volunteering)?

How much does having a tough school schedule conflict with spending time at your fraternity?

How much time did you spend studying after starting to take Chem II, then organic ect..?

Did you report it on your application?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a predental student in a social fraternity and I'm managing to get my grades up after the first year. We drink heavily, find reasons to get more drunk,throw at least one 500 people + party every month and plug as much strange as possible. That being said we do lots of community service and are on good terms with the police and the university. The vice president and president of the SGA in the last two years have been from my fraternity. We also are social/polite with everyone and most dental/medical students are surprised that I'm in fraternity. They can't understand how I can manage this because they are always studying. They are also older than me and have taken harder courses so I can't compare what they have done to my first year ****ty GPA . I had 1.7 but now I have 3.6 this semester with genetics and chem II + 3 repeats. I need to get in the predental honor society (after getting combined gpa 3.0) and also do shadowing and continue to get good grades. I gotta a couple questions for those who are/were greek undergraduates.

How much does having a tough school schedule conflict with spending time at your fraternity?

How much time did you spend studying after starting to take Chem II, then organic ect..?

I'm not in a fraternity myself, but I have a bunch of pre-dental greek friends. Some are going to report it on their application because they were VPs or Presidents, but others won't because they were just members and don't want to risk being associated with the negative aspects of greek life. My SigEp/Sigma Chi friends say their chapters are well known for their community work at their schools, but not necessarily outside of their state. It could be a pro or a con, depending on your adcom. If he/she was greek, then it might help you, but it could hurt you if they weren't. If you've committed tons of hours in your position, then definitely report the volunteer work you did. But if it's just going under "extracurricular activities," then I might reconsider reporting it.

A great man once said, "if I have one hour of studying and four hours in which to do it, I study for 1 hour and go to bars for 3."

Manage your time, and put your grades above all else.

Members don't see this ad :)
The best advice I can give you has already been posted on this thread (See ^ post).

I thought that I would regret missing out on partying every night after freshman year, but it turned out that I enjoyed my time at the house more because I wasn't there as much. Just keep in mind what your goals are in school and put that first, there is always time to frat hard in your spare time. Plus, do you want to be that bro who has been in undergrad for 6 years still trying to knockout those pre-reqs? Don't be lol.

Im in a fraternity and am predental. I have a 3.78 overall and 3.67 science gpa. Overall it came down to time management. I knew I had school work to do and fraternity responsibilities too. So I just had to bog down and work, and didn't allow a lot of stuff to distract me. I also planned ahead, and tried to do extra so like if you know you have a event to go to I would do work a couple days in advance.

Also theres no need to go out every night. I would take weekends off just to get my work done. I put my fraternity on my application because I held positions.

And its doable, I was President while taking Ochem and did well.

I am in a sorority (vp), work 2 jobs and volunteer regularly. Like the previous post said time management is crucial. Your planner should be your best friend. I did a lot of group studying. It helps you learn and memorize the material when you try and teach it to others. Depending on the reputation of your organization's nationals/ or individual chapter would be the only reason not to put a social fraternity not on your app. I won my organizations national scholarship , was new member and member of the year and we did a TON of volunteering. My chapter in ne of my organizations oldest and is respected locally and nationally. If your chapter is in trouble, you helping to turn their reputation around while maintaining high grades would really look good to d-schools.

First off, thanks everyone for replying.

UFRafo-We go to the same school

BrightSmile- In regards to national reputation there has been two incidents in the last 5 years that put us in a very negative light although most fraternities have had really bad incidents at a couple stupid chapters just like us. A majority of people don't understand that each chapter has completely different people and operating procedures. My main concern is about an adcom that is antigreek

frats/sororities are for losers...'nuff said

idk if u have stats and scores to prove yourself i think being a part of frat sorority is not a bad thing. my interviewer at penn asked me if i was in any frat and he told me he himself was a member back then. i feel like being in frats def help you with social skills anyways.

frats/sororities are for losers...'nuff said

Read this:

Reporting my fraternity affiliation to the adcoms may or may not help but its still going to benefit me later on. I have four areas in my state where I plan on potentially opening up my first practice with over 1,000 resident alumni in those areas,including prominent business leaders and local politicians. A few phone calls will get my practice running in little time no matter what location I open in those areas. Fraternity=Win, Hopefullyadent=troll . 'Nuff said

Now get the ...k off my thread

Read this:

Reporting my fraternity affiliation to the adcoms may or may not help but its still going to benefit me later on. I have four areas in my state where I plan on potentially opening up my first practice with over 1,000 resident alumni in those areas,including prominent business leaders and local politicians. A few phone calls will get my practice running in little time no matter what location I open in those areas. Fraternity=Win, Hopefullyadent=troll . 'Nuff said

Im in SigEp and I find that my experience has really broadened my character. Fraternal life is one of the few opportunities where young students are able to be in true leadership positions. I've had to make decisions on expulsions, academic disciplines, and then totally make a 180 and plan other events like cocktails. That being said, I'm the VP of Programming so I put in a good amount of hours, but my chapter always puts school first so I've been able to keep my grades up despite my involvement. Lots of support plus the test archives never hurt ;)

You're right--the SigEp Alumni network will probably help me land a spot in a private practice that some bookworm can't.

Read this:

lol we'll see whether that really helps u...You plan on opening an office in 4 specific areas :laugh::laugh::laugh:..Yea I plan on opening my office in Beverly Hills lol...a basic question testing common sense for most narrow-minded premeds/predental kids: If it was that easy, then wouldn't everyone be doing it???

Fraternity = Nothing special; You = In need of a reality check. 'nuff said

I think that most people will agree that the most important aspect of dental school is getting good grades/dat. If your social fraternity interferes with it then drop it. Period. You need to prioritize the most important things in life first. I'm sure a person of your caliber can relate to that. You seem like a nice guy, but then again I don't understand some aspects of your post:confused:.

Anyways, on my aadsas I did report community service via fraternity. It wasn't looked down or up upon. I really don't think it made a difference. Noone really knows or cares unless it's one of those prestigious ones like PBK. Anyways good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
amcmahon- Its definitely going to help one way or another.

beatsdre- I was giving a reference to how my fraternity is like. I asked how your experience in your GLO was.

Troll- You make no sense, I guess thats why your a troll but let me try to understand your nonsense dribble and give you an easy to understand response. The four areas I'm talking about are entire counties and cities not small wealthy postal codes. Also I don't know anyone who said opening up a practice was easy but it will be a hell lot easier knowing that I have networked for 8 years prior to opening up my practice. Let me explain. We have these events called alumni weekends where our alumni ages 23-50+ come to our house every semester to party. More importantly they check up on the fraternity and connect with the active brothers and other alumni. I plan on attending these alumni weekends during dental school to do the same. Now go be broke trying open up a practice in Beverly Hills.

Last edited:
lol we'll see whether that really helps u...You plan on opening an office in 4 specific areas :laugh::laugh::laugh:..Yea I plan on opening my office in Beverly Hills lol...a basic question testing common sense for most narrow-minded premeds/predental kids: If it was that easy, then wouldn't everyone be doing it???

Fraternity = Nothing special; You = In need of a reality check. 'nuff said

Actually you probably didn't get into the fraternity you wanted and are only jealous.

Good luck being a dentist in Beverly Hills. Matthew McConaughey, Brad Pitt, Drew Carey, Ashton Kutcher, Alicia Keys, Jada Pinkett Smith, Mark Zuckerberg, countless other actors, doctors, almost every Miss America, Politician, athletes, founders of everything from coca cola to chlorox, all were greek and if they are in Hollywood I'd say they'll go to their greek brother or sister's practice

You frat guys need to lighten up. In the grad scheme of things your affiliation will only be important to you. Just enjoy your time and if you want a real adventure with some crazy memories join the military - now thats a frat you'll never forget. oh wait - now I'm sounding just like guys;)

But really... if you can get high grades and do frat fine. But if you want to be a dentist and the frat is holding you back the answer is clear, but not very much fun.

Last edited:
Frats are for people to unathletic to play a sport in college and feel the need to be part of something.

Recently went to see a friend of mine who is in a frat and wasn't really impressed. HOWEVER, you are right in saying that the networking acquired during alumni weekends. Also on that note UF is probably home to the most typical frats, meaning their GPAs usually match their BAC on any given weekend. So not sure who you're networking with in this case.

If I were you, I wouldn't mention it.

And the ageless saga of GDI vs. Greek continues...

Anyways, I think if you were heavily involved with your chapter then you should put it on your app. What's going to happen, some adcom member who got blackballed in undergrad is gonna reject you because you went greek? Probably not. However, even if you didn't do anything in your chapter I would still be inclined to put it on there because at the very least you were a brother.

Moral of the story is get good grades, frat hard and often, and then get into dental school. :thumbup:

And the ageless saga of GDI vs. Greek continues...

Moral of the story is get good grades, frat hard and often, and then get into dental school. :thumbup:

I doubt any other person can say that they religiously attended a meeting every single week of their college career, plus many other philanthropy events, social events, and required events. I put my sorority on there because it showed my dedication throughout my college career. I was never asked about it, but I always had prepared answers for my interviews.

Don't fret, just frat.

lol u frat boys couldn't figure out that me saying im opening my office in beverly hills was a sarcastic comment lol :laugh::laugh::laugh:

lol and im not jealous that i didn't get into a frat...how can i be pissed that i didn't get into a frat if i never wanted/tried to be in a frat

Fratting hard for 4 years and getting into dental school. TFM

I'm in a sorority, spent 2 years on the executive council (one as VP), and maintained good grades. At my NYU interview I was asked about it and we actually got into a really good conversation about it... he was talking about his niece and her experience etc.etc. and yeah, maybe you could have someone who doesn't understand what greek life is about, or you can have a really memorable and positive conversation about it like I did. I'm glad I put it on there. It gave me a chance to talk about some of the positive things I have done for my campus and where I spend a lot of my "free time".

Frats are for people to unathletic to play a sport in college and feel the need to be part of something.

Recently went to see a friend of mine who is in a frat and wasn't really impressed. HOWEVER, you are right in saying that the networking acquired during alumni weekends. Also on that note UF is probably home to the most typical frats, meaning their GPAs usually match their BAC on any given weekend. So not sure who you're networking with in this case.

If I were you, I wouldn't mention it.

HAHA...I was in a fraternity and was a division-1 athlete at the same time.

Partied 3-4 nights out of the week, just studied when I needed to..
3.7 gpa

Too each his own

3.7 gpa

Too each his own

Nice work boss. That is impressive. :thumbup: Did you ever serve on your exec committee?

Random question while we're on the subject.. Can you join a sorority as a junior? I'm transferring to a university next year and haven't been able to find the answer.

Random question while we're on the subject.. Can you join a sorority as a junior? I'm transferring to a university next year and haven't been able to find the answer.
I know a girl who joined one as a senior this year. It's possible for sure(especially if you transfered in.) It's different for various Greek systems though, I'm not sure what you're dealing with. If you are trying for a school with a top Greek system and are going for a top sorority, they may only take freshman with a few sophomores.

I pledged my fraternity as a sophomore and I'll admit I didn't really bond with my pledge class that well because I was a year older. I mainly hung out with the older guys, but it was still well worth it. It may be weird pledging with a lot of freshman girls, but if it's something you want to do, go for it. I knew not pledging would be something I'd always regret and I'm very glad I did it.

3.7 gpa

Too each his own
Same here as well as a lot of my friends. There have been some good responses here and some dumb ones as well. Do a fraternity / sorority if you want. The experience will be different for all. Some will hold chairs, some will punch in 100's of hours of service, others will pay dues and party. It's these different personalities that make a fraternity / sorority whole. Being greek will not do much for your application unless you held a leadership position, like president or executive chair, or logged in a lot of community service. It doesn't show that you are cool or more social. It's just a choice you made in college. It won't hurt you either. It just shows more about you. Helps paint that picture for admissions. As for Alumni relations, I guess that's up to the individual. I don't care about my previous affiliation during undergrad, nor will I try to use it in the future. There are plenty of alumni out there who do though. And they will show favoritism to fraternity / sorority members in the future.