Freaking out about first 2 semesters' GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SFE89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, first post here so I hope I'm doing everything right :)

I just finished my first two semesters in college (Summer and an 8 week fall semester). All non science core classes with a 3.00 GPA. I did well in summer semester but pretty bad in the fall even though classes were VERY easy but they were online (At my local community college) and I just couldn't get myself motivated enough to study, I also went on a trip. LOVED the on-campus summer semester though. Going to medical school has been my dream since I was 15 years old (22 now).

Anyways, I'm transferring to a 4 year state university for the spring semester and will start taking pre-med science classes, and will be majoring in biology. I know I will study hard and do well, I will never take online classes again. I just figure that since I have this low GPA, my non-science GPA will be very hard to go beyond 3.6 especially because I'll be majoring in science and will not have many non science classes, which isn't a bad GPA but all medical schools in my state have an average of 3.7-3.8 non science GPAs for their accepted applicants (Except one DO but it's too far away for me). I'm also worried that medical schools will look at my fall semester's poor GPA as a red flag. Has anyone been in my shoes? should I just take non science classes that I don't need to take just for the sake of raising my GPA? Do you have any other suggestions? I'm sorry if I'm being such a "pre-med" but I'm honestly worried :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished my first two semesters in college (Summer and an 8 week fall semester). All non science core classes with a 3.00 GPA. I did well in summer semester but pretty bad in the fall even though classes were VERY easy but they were online (At my local community college) and I just couldn't get myself motivated enough to study, I also went on a trip. LOVED the on-campus summer semester though. Going to medical school has been my dream since I was 15 years old (22 now).

Anyways, I'm transferring to a 4 year state university for the spring semester and will start taking pre-med science classes, and will be majoring in biology. I know I will study hard and do well, I will never take online classes again. I just figure that since I have this low GPA, my non-science GPA will be very hard to go beyond 3.6 especially because I'll be majoring in science and will not have many non science classes, which isn't a bad GPA but all medical schools in my state have an average of 3.7-3.8 non science GPAs for their accepted applicants (Except one DO but it's too far away for me). I'm also worried that medical schools will look at my fall semester's poor GPA as a red flag. Has anyone been in my shoes? should I just take non science classes that I don't need to take just for the sake of raising my GPA? Do you have any other suggestions? I'm sorry if I'm being such a "pre-med" but I'm honestly worried :oops:
Your early semesters will not be a red flag, since you have a 3.0gpa. It isn't like you failed your classes. Do well from now on and you should be fine. Do what you need to get as many A's as possible and don't stress too much.

I wouldn't worry at all about your non-science GPA. Your science classes obviously contribute to your overall GPA (cGPA) and the sGPA and cGPA are the important ones. If you have good numbers there, your non-science GPA shouldn't keep you out of any medical schools, at least I never heard of any looking specifically at that part of your transcripts.

I had a 2.5 cGPA for the entire Freshman year and I got accepted to an Allopathic medical school. So, don't fret just work hard on increasing your GPA but don't let it drive you to depression. It's way too early in the game!

Thanks theseeker4 and shinbeats. I do feel less paranoid now. I'll just focus on getting as many A's as possible and never take online classes again :)