Freaking out ...Please Help!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pipacus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that unless you have A's in the med school pre-reqs, you dont really have a chance at getting into medical school. I only have a b-average in my pre-reqs....what can i do to improve my situation? upper division sciences ? a post-bacc? .....or am i just doomed ????

i know other factors affect the situation like EC's and of course, the MCAT, but I feel so discouraged..and i dont want to ask the pre-med students in my life because they are a bunch of back-stabbing curve-obsessed bastards!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I heard that unless you have A's in the med school pre-reqs, you dont really have a chance at getting into medical school.
Wrong. Many (most) of us have B's on our transcripts, including in prereqs.

I only have a b-average in my pre-reqs....what can i do to improve my situation? upper division sciences ? a post-bacc? .....or am i just doomed ????
More classes to raise your BCPM is a good idea. Upper division coursework always looks nice. You're not doomed, but you should concentrate on getting A's.

They say it is best to have a B average in your pre req's. check out mdapplicants.com

Members don't see this ad :)
They say it is best to have a B average in your pre req's. check out mdapplicants.com

wow....those words are even better than "will you marry me" out of Leonardo diCaprio's mouth :laugh:

yeah ..i quit my job, so hopefully i can raise my gpa this semester.

i would think it would be "best" to have an a average in your pre-reqs. I think 3.70 is a good number to shoot for. It is pretty much the average of matriculants.

There needs to be a "Stupid Thread Alert" next to crap like this so I don't waste my time reading it.

Good Lod who is feeding you this info. Obviously A's are more likely to be better than B's but everyone is human and gets B's.

I dont think that 3. 7 is the average for pre-reqs of the avereage student.

There needs to be a "Stupid Thread Alert" next to crap like this so I don't waste my time reading it.

Good Lod who is feeding you this info. Obviously A's are more likely to be better than B's but everyone is human and gets B's.

the entire point of this thread was to get some feedback on how i can improve the situation if i have already cemented the pre-req grades as B's . And since "everyone is human and gets B's", this is an issue faced by many of us.
Next time, do us all a favor and not waste our time having to read your arrogant responses to "crap like this".

the entire point of this thread was to get some feedback on how i can improve the situation if i have already cemented the pre-req grades as B's . And since "everyone is human and gets B's", this is an issue faced by many of us.
Next time, do us all a favor and not waste our time having to read your arrogant responses to "crap like this".

Basically you apply like everyone else with B's. Seriously what are you looking for?? Nobody can even guess how your application process will turn out with the infromation that you have a B average.

Yes this is an issued faced by many of us including ME. Use the search function or get some common sense. Not every person who gets into medical school has all A's.:rolleyes:

Most adcom members like to see B+ or better on the pre-reqs. A B here or there is OK but overall the avg in biology, chemistry, math & physics combined should be 3.5 or better. (Not to say that someone with a lower avg won't get an offer but it makes it tougher). So, if you have been getting Bs in your first 24 credits, you'll need As in the next 24 credits to reach a 3.5. Showing an improvement and good grades in the upper level courses may mitigate the "damage" done by what might be considered less than "stellar" work in the pre-reqs.

Basically you apply like everyone else with B's. Seriously what are you looking for?? Nobody can even guess how your application process will turn out with the infromation that you have a B average.

Yes this is an issued faced by many of us including ME. Use the search function or get some common sense. Not every person who gets into medical school has all A's.:rolleyes:

stop asking questions and starting discussions people...use the SEARCH function or talk to your counselor ......they should put a "stupid alert' on SDN:smuggrin:

stop asking questions and starting discussions people...use the SEARCH function or talk to your counselor ......they should put a "stupid alert' on SDN:smuggrin:

:confused: :confused: :confused:
Troll?

Basically, it would behoove you to stop "freaking out," and I don't mean this in any kind of acerbic way, or anything, but as gentle feedback on possible blocks to your process. Take a breath and accept where you are right now. Then, open your mind and examine your options. In the allopathic process, you can't really change the grades you've already accumulated. Your option is to retake the class if you score less than a B, or take more advanced classes to show your proficiency and to improve your overall GPA. You have slightly more options in the osteopathic process, since retaking classes will lead to grade replacement.

Good luck. :luck:

Looks like it's time for me to take another vacation from SDN.

Heck..some of us even have C's.. =) All hope is not lost.. just do your best, make sure you're putting as much effort as you can in all your classes. Stressing yourself out *too* much will only hurt your performance.

i feel like you if you take a bunch of upper level science classes (like 6+ more if your on semester system) and ace them, you would improve your BCPM GPA enough and demonstrate you can master whatever material is covered in prereqs. try to get above a 3.3, preferably around 3.5. I shot myself in the foot with my good ole 3.18 BCPM, with basically no upper level courses.

you are not by any means doomed!! that's my opinion. o and work hard for ur MCATs