Free 150 and predictive value

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Instatewaiter

But... there's a troponin
Account on Hold
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took the free 150 yesterday and did well based on the conversion my school has.

I realize the questions are easier than the real thing but i want to know for those who have recently taken was it close to your real score or was it a gross over estimate?

(and yes, i have done a search)

Members don't see this ad.

I scored 74, 70 and 78 and got 99/238 in the real one. I'm sure many people score above 80 easily.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah the reason I ask is b/c it has been a few weeks since i have taken an NBME and while I have been consistently improving on UW, I went up 25 points in a bit over 2 weeks when compared to NBME 3.

Of course I went up 25 points in 2.5 weeks from the start of studying (NBME 1) until I took NBME 3.

I just dont want to go in thinking I am going to rock the boards and end up getting my A$$ handed to me.

I did a quick search last night and found that there is a pretty decent relationship between the free 150 and the final score. Check out the 2007 experiences thread.

Does anybody know where you can get the answers to these questions? Are they released along with the free Qs, like after you take the test.

I just took it and all I got was a %. WTF, no breakdown! This sucks.

Kaplan has explanations to all the questions.

I scored 94% on the free 150, and 257 on the real thing.

Last edited:
www.wikitestprep.org has the answers and explanations posted. They have a different score breakdown as well. It gives a much more modest estimation for your score than medfriends.

www.wikitestprep.org has the answers and explanations posted. They have a different score breakdown as well. It gives a much more modest estimation for your score than medfriends.

hmmm, so even if you didn't miss a single question on the practice exam, wiki predicts a 252? I know 252 is high, but it seems like if you're flawless, you ought to be in the 260 range at least.

Kaplan has explanations to all the questions.

I scored 94% on the free 150, and my highest NBME (#3) was 263. In mid july i will post my score, and we'll see if there's correlation. for what it's worth, i felt much better about the free questions and NBME3 while I was taking them. step 1 was genuinely more difficult than either (at least in my case, though i've seen recent post of people saying they thought step 1 wasn't all that bad).

I have heard from a ton of people the real thing is in between U world and the NBMEs/free 150 in terms of difficulty. This seems like what you found too.

hmmm, so even if you didn't miss a single question on the practice exam, wiki predicts a 252? I know 252 is high, but it seems like if you're flawless, you ought to be in the 260 range at least.

med friends also has a predictor and 87% (130 right) by that scale is right around a 250 with a 70% confidence interval of 11.

Praying that the 150 is predictive...About a month ago I took NBME 6 and got a 224, then a week ago I took NBME 3 and got a 230, and yesterday I did the 150 and did 92%, which according to wikitestprep was a 240 and medfriends was 264 (according to medfriends the 150 has the tightest CI...). Don't know if I miraculously got smarter by not doing Kaplan questions for a week, but right now hoping 150>>>NBME>Kaplan QBank

Members don't see this ad :)
the 150 free are those distributed by the NBME guys. the answers to these questions are avaialable thru kaplan, and I guess other sources as well.

i know nothing of lippencotts.

the only relevant qbank is uworld. don't look beyond this.

Kaplan is horse dung. actually, that's not being fair to horse dung. I take it back. Sorry for slandering you like that, horse dung. It won't happen again.

after taking the beast myself and finding out about other ppl's experiences, the feeling you get after the test all depends on the set of questions you get - but that doesn't necessarily mean that your score will be substantially different from test to test (i.e. I thought NBME 5 was hard and got the same score I got on NBME 4, which I thought was easier). People with an "easier" (I know, no such real thing) set of questions need to be a bit more accurate, which is why you need a very high percentage on the free 150 for a very good score, even though this may not be the exact case on the real deal. The level of difficulty is an extremely subjective measure...some of it depends on your personality I think. If you are a person who studies like crazy for the exam, then takes it with the mindset that you answered it to the best of your ability and knew that the hard questions would just be hard, you would come out perhaps feeling neutral or that it was ok. But if you go into that same exam feeling that you should be able to answer almost each and every question, you may come out feeling like you were run over by a truck.

My exam was of the hard level of difficulty. I scored 94% on the 150 free questions when I took the practice test at the center 3 wks out of the exam, scored upper 80%'s in UW consistently (average 81%) and did very well on NBME's (I took all of them for exposure to types of questions) and felt that all of the above resources were much more straight forward when compared to the real beast. i know that this feeling is a product of the difficulty level of my individual test and my expectations of the exam so I won't generalize from a single test taker's experience. im hoping that the curve will factor in, but now after weeks of waiting for the score, im getting to stage of indifference, lol. good luck to everyone!

Figured since I got my score back I would resurrect this thread.

Free 150 predicted around a 252 (87%) actual was a 247 so pretty darn close.

I took the free 150 1 week before the exam. The way I structured my studying I was through all the material 1 time. The week was used for wrap up and review.

Last edited:
Free 150 = 92-93%, NBME 6 = 261, real thing 260. They seem to be pretty predictive.

Guys,

when you took the free 150, were you prepared before taking it (ie: you were already in study mode, and if so, how far into your studying were you?), or did you go into it without doing any serious prep yet (just went into it with your knowledge from class)?

These two questions could clarify any "skewed" results.

Last edited:
Guys,

when you took the free 150, were you prepared before taking it (ie: you were already in study mode, and if so, how far into your studying were you?), or did you go into it without doing any serious prep yet (just when into it with your knowledge from class)?

These two questions could clarify any "skewed" results.

2 days before test

Interestingly the free 150 Qs were the most accurate prediction of my score. My highest ever NBME was 232, but I got an 80% on the free 150 a week before the test (which equals around 240 according to medfriends) and got a 241 on the real thing. So def. an accurate predictor for me. I thought that the questions were pretty representatitve as well.

oh, I think I get it... it's called "free 150" but new format is 48 per section, which is really "free 144".

man if this free 150 stuff is right, i'm going to be ecstatic. But i'm inherently doubtful, so I'll be reserved until its all over. I take the test on monday and right now I don't really think I can affect my score by anymore studying.

man if this free 150 stuff is right, i'm going to be ecstatic. But i'm inherently doubtful, so I'll be reserved until its all over. I take the test on monday and right now I don't really think I can affect my score by anymore studying.

Agreed. I'm not sure how it can be predictive when it felt so easy and the real deal felt absolutely not-so-easy. Looking through past score report threads though, it seems to correlate fairly well. I don't know. I'd be over the moon if I got anywhere near my 150 but I'm pretty sure that will not be the case.

Good luck on Monday! :luck:

Is the free 150 questions similar/same difficulty as the 150 questions you can take at the NBME/Prometric center?

Thanks

hey, i bet we're taking the test at the same place. have you done the free 150 there? i'm trying to sign up for it...still no luck with the prometric site.

No, I tried to download the free one to take at home and the V2 version wouldn't work on my comp so I had to use the V1 version. Just finished it. It is weird, the harder I think a test is, the better I do. :confused: :thumbup:

No, I tried to download the free one to take at home and the V2 version wouldn't work on my comp so I had to use the V1 version. Just finished it. It is weird, the harder I think a test is, the better I do. :confused: :thumbup:

Yeah, definitely don't stress about it. I'm thinking about not even looking at my free 150 score until after the exam because it's so close to the date. If you've been solid with UW and NBMEs...don't waste energy worrying about it. Good luck.

Yeah, definitely don't stress about it. I'm thinking about not even looking at my free 150 score until after the exam because it's so close to the date. If you've been solid with UW and NBMEs...don't waste energy worrying about it. Good luck.

Good luck to you too! I'm not stressing. I've been extremely satisfied with all of my scores :) I just hope it continues :xf:

Is the free 150 currently available the same as the one available last year?

I mean the score might be skewed because the data points used to predict the scores are based on different questions of maybe different difficulty level?

Is the free 150 currently available the same as the one available last year?

I mean the score might be skewed because the data points used to predict the scores are based on different questions of maybe different difficulty level?

No idea, but fred v1 and fred v2 are the same.

So my Uworld average seems to be around 63-65 over the past 500q's or so, with an occasional 45-55% block.
I took nbme 6 5 days ago and got a 223.

I just took the free 150 and got 86%- 251!
WTF?

No way this is accurate. I thought the questions were absurdly easy compared to Uworld and nbmes.
I really really really really really really hope that the actual test is like these questions.

If anything, Id assume this means Im on the right track...? I think Ill take the afternoon off!

So my Uworld average seems to be around 63-65 over the past 500q's or so, with an occasional 45-55% block.
I took nbme 6 5 days ago and got a 223.

I just took the free 150 and got 86%- 251!
WTF?

No way this is accurate. I thought the questions were absurdly easy compared to Uworld and nbmes.
I really really really really really really hope that the actual test is like these questions.

If anything, Id assume this means Im on the right track...? I think Ill take the afternoon off!

Yea I think its probably predictive if you get >90% or <80% correct.
I got an 83% the other day and I'll be thrilled with a 230+.

Are you talking about a score calculator where you can plug in the free 150 score? Or are you talking about a score estimation just based on wikitestprep percentage?