Free 150 and predictive value

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Instatewaiter

But... there's a troponin
Account on Hold
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took the free 150 yesterday and did well based on the conversion my school has.

I realize the questions are easier than the real thing but i want to know for those who have recently taken was it close to your real score or was it a gross over estimate?

(and yes, i have done a search)

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard in previous years that the medfriends.org predictor was pretty good for estimating people's scores, but it seems this year that a lot of people think it is overestimating based on recent NBME exams they've taken (assuming NBME exams are more predictive). Has anyone here taken the 2009 free 150Q set and already received their score back for their actual Step 1 exam this year? If so did it correlate at all?

i would be ecstatic if the free 150 score was even within 5 points of predicting my actual score. seems as though the wiki test prep scale "downgrades" your score by a few points (3 for me) which is still fine by me. i just really hope that i can trust it. anyone else have any input?

Members don't see this ad :)
I noticed some questions in the 150 were VERY similar (if not the exact same) to some of the questions used in world (or maybe it was an NBME? I can't say exactly but I've seen the same images/questions somewhere). Anyone else notice that too? That could definitely give you a few extra points and up overestimating your score.

i took it less than a week ago and although the handful of photos it had were similar to usmelworld, they were not that similar. you're probably thinking of NBME which i only took 2 of and definitely didn't find any repeat photos helping me. therefore, i think my exaggerated grade is due to some other reason.

I've heard in previous years that the medfriends.org predictor was pretty good for estimating people's scores, but it seems this year that a lot of people think it is overestimating based on recent NBME exams they've taken (assuming NBME exams are more predictive). Has anyone here taken the 2009 free 150Q set and already received their score back for their actual Step 1 exam this year? If so did it correlate at all?

Took my exam May 11, 2009 and got a 245/99,
Took free 150q the night before and MedFriends predicted 249/99.

WOW... sweet score.

I don't want to start a new thread just for asking about #105

warning if you have not done the 150 free questions... STOP READING so not to spoil your test.

Is this right? I did not pick E cause ovaries drain into para-aortic lymph nodes. The answer I picked is D.

105. E is the correct answer.
In this patient with a history of ovarian cancer, the most likely cause of her edema is (E) obstruction of lymph vessels secondary to her malignancy. While various clinical conditions can cause edema, including congestive heart failure, cirrhosis, and nephrotic syndrome, these disorders are typically associated with pitting edema. This patient presents with nonpitting lymphedema, characterized by its involvement of an isolated limb. (A) Decreased capillary hydrostatic pressure would not cause edema, although increased capillary hydrostatic pressure would. (B) Decreased interstitial hydrostatic pressure is unlikely. (C) Increased capillary oncotic pressure would not cause edema, although decreased capillary oncotic pressure would. (D) Increased capillary permeability, as in seen in burns, trauma, inflammation, sepsis, and allergic reactions, may cause edema. However, this presentation makes lymphedema much more likely.

what was your raw score on the free 150 if you dont mind my asking? i would just like to know which came closer to predicting your score, medfriends or wikitestprep.

if that is the case, then wikitestprep hit it on the nose. i guess that makes it the more accurate predictor. thanks.

WOW... sweet score.

warning if you have not done the 150 free questions... STOP READING so not to spoil your test.

Is this right? I did not pick E cause ovaries drain into para-aortic lymph nodes. The answer I picked is D.

In this patient with a history of ovarian cancer, the most likely cause of her edema is (E) obstruction of lymph vessels secondary to her malignancy. While various clinical conditions can cause edema, including congestive heart failure, cirrhosis, and nephrotic syndrome, these disorders are typically associated with pitting edema. This patient presents with nonpitting lymphedema, characterized by its involvement of an isolated limb. (A) Decreased capillary hydrostatic pressure would not cause edema, although increased capillary hydrostatic pressure would. (B) Decreased interstitial hydrostatic pressure is unlikely. (C) Increased capillary oncotic pressure would not cause edema, although decreased capillary oncotic pressure would. (D) Increased capillary permeability, as in seen in burns, trauma, inflammation, sepsis, and allergic reactions, may cause edema. However, this presentation makes lymphedema much more likely.

The malignancy obstructed nearby lymphatics. Don't overthink it.

WOW... sweet score.

i think increased capillary permeability would be much less likely to be localized like how the question describes.

if that is the case, then wikitestprep hit it on the nose. i guess that makes it the more accurate predictor. thanks.

Yeh that thing is a little more modest than the one on medfriends (puts me at 245 and 255 respectively). I'll take either one happily :eek: Okay time to cram micro till i pass out

Members don't see this ad :)
WOW... sweet score.

Docbill...did these answers come with the test? Is there a written version? Or do the answers appear after the test (software version) is completed?

if you purchased kaplan QBank, you should have access to their own explanations for the questions. they include short explanations for the wrong answers as well as right ones.

Here is a very nice comparison. The 2 highest scores I have seen for step 1 are both 276. Pollux and WaqasQureshi (Prep4usmle). Here are their stats:

WaqasQureshi(Prep4usmle forums):
Step 1: 276/99
USMLE CD:
Test 1: 47/50
Test 2: 49/50
Test 3: 48/50
(Average=144/150=96%)
USMLWORLD: 88%
First Aid Rx: 90%
Kaplan Kaptest: 86%
NBME
Form 1: 800/800
Form 2: 800/800
Form 3: 750/800
Form 4: 720/800
Kaplan Simulated Step 1: 94%

Pollux:
Step 1:276/99
NBME 1: 258 (9 months out)
NBME 2: 261 (2 months out)
NBME 6: 262 (25 days out)
UW 1: 265+ (15 days out)
NBME 3: 265+ (8 days out)
NBME 4: 265+ (6 days out)
UW 2: 265+ (4 days out)
NBME 5: 265+ (2 days out)
USMLE CD: 96% (1 day out)
USMLERx: 94%
Kaplan Qbank: 91%
First Aid Q&A step 1: 93%
UW: 88% (Random, unused, first time through)

They both have identical scores for UW and Free 150 and both scored 276...
Coincidence or are they highly predictive?

Guys, in that link that I just quoted, there is a fred1 and fred2 version of the exams. Are they the same questions, just in the different software or does the fred2 version contain new/different questions?

I'd download and see for myself but I'm sleepy and about to goto bed; hoping that some would address this for me so that when I check back here tomorrow, I'll have the answer ready. :oops:

oh and, that link is the correct link to access the "free 150 questions" that everyone is referring to, right?

Pollux:
Step 1:276/99
NBME 1: 258 (9 months out)
NBME 2: 261 (2 months out)
NBME 6: 262 (25 days out)
UW 1: 265+ (15 days out)
NBME 3: 265+ (8 days out)
NBME 4: 265+ (6 days out)
UW 2: 265+ (4 days out)
NBME 5: 265+ (2 days out)
USMLE CD: 96% (1 day out)
USMLERx: 94%
Kaplan Qbank: 91%
First Aid Q&A step 1: 93%
UW: 88% (Random, unused, first time through)

I still want to see his raw NBME scores. 265+ just doesn't look as cool! :)
And 265+ on World is MUCH easier than 265+ on NBME. Awesome comparison though! :thumbup:

bump

I'd like to see some more free 150-Step 1 score positive correlations so that I can convince myself that that 245 is a possibility (while I wait for another 7 days :scared: )

bump

I'd like to see some more free 150-Step 1 score positive correlations so that I can convince myself that that 245 is a possibility (while I wait for another 7 days :scared: )

I know what you mean. I got 87% (2 weeks before my exam) which according to my test prep person at schools data is about a 251, and I got a 251 on on NBME 3 one week before step 1 but I still can't believe that I would score that high on the real thing. :oops: I guess I'll find out next week.

Yea some more correlations would definitely calm my nerves for the next 7 days.

Scores will come in soon, but, IMO, rather use the sheet provided at the bottom of wikitestprep's 'Answers for 2009 Q's' page than medfriends. There is just no way medfriends can be for real. If I get within 15 point's of their prediction I'll have a MI and donate all my organs. :)

Scores will come in soon, but, IMO, rather use the sheet provided at the bottom of wikitestprep's 'Answers for 2009 Q's' page than medfriends. There is just no way medfriends can be for real. If I get within 15 point's of their prediction I'll have a MI and donate all my organs. :)

To validate my opinion, the wikitestprep got my score right to within 3 points, an I misread the one Q, so could have gotten VERY close! But you have to use the following table:

# Correct Score
144 269 123 240 102 210
143 268 122 238 101 209
142 266 121 237 100 207
141 265 120 235 99 206
140 263 119 234 98 204
139 262 118 232 97 203
138 261 117 231 96 202
137 259 116 230 95 200
136 258 115 228 94 199
135 256 114 227 93 197
134 255 113 225 92 196
133 254 112 224 91 194
132 252 111 223 90 193
131 251 110 221 89 192
130 249 109 220 88 190
129 248 108 218 87 189
128 247 107 217 86 187
127 245 106 216 85 186
126 244 105 214 84 185
125 242 104 213 83 183
124 241 103 211 82 182

mine was right on with medfriends prediction
medfriends 239
wikitestprep 231
real thing 238

Im writing my exam in February and I am starting to study next week. Is it wise to take the diagnostic test before starting to study or is it better to take it like a week before the actual test?

Im writing my exam in February and I am starting to study next week. Is it wise to take the diagnostic test before starting to study or is it better to take it like a week before the actual test?
taking my exam too in feb. i took free 150 and scored 70% which probably is around 211. planning to take nbme 1 next to next week before registring.

taking my exam too in feb. i took free 150 and scored 70% which probably is around 211. planning to take nbme 1 next to next week before registring.

Have you done any studying already or did you just do it to check your weaknesses?

yup done quiet a bit of studying

Do you think it is a good assessment to find out what you need to concentrate on, or do you think it would be better to study for a bit before doing it?

Do you think it is a good assessment to find out what you need to concentrate on, or do you think it would be better to study for a bit before doing it?
i guess you should study a bit and then take first test. but if you feell confident then you may simply start by taking the test. i am saying this since there are limited number of forms and you definitely do not want to waste them. so use the resource well.