free clinic is definitely a clinical experience right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glasseagle

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this may sound obv but the vast majority (probably 90%+) of patients I saw at the free clinic were healthy and fine patients that were there for a physical.

Even if it is clinical would it be considered a weak experience bc the patients were mostly fine? I have seen people judge the strength of an experience this way so I am slightly concerned.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. It's done in a clinical setting and you are still seeing patients even if they are healthy. There isn't a requirement that you have to deal with sick patients (although it's nice to have).

If you want to have experience with sick patients, you can volunteer at a hospice or camps for sick children.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes. It's done in a clinical setting and you are still seeing patients even if they are healthy. There isn't a requirement that you have to deal with sick patients (although it's nice to have).

If you want to have experience with sick patients, you can volunteer at a hospice or camps for sick children.
^ Great advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it's definitely clinical exposure. Before going into an interview I'd have a few examples of patients who left an impression on you for whatever reason, but they won't expect every applicant ever to have pulled someone back from the brink of death. Even in settings where patients are sicker, you'd be pretty limited to the point that you're only handing out blankets or water or having conversations. Also not the most exciting thing ever.

Thanks! I am applying this cycle so I won't be able to get that type of experience before I submit my app unfortunately. I also volunteered at a hospital so I saw plenty of injured patients. Would you or anyone else have any insight into whether this is sufficient or not?

At my free clinic you could definitely smell the patients. Still, learning to help people is one of the most important part.