Free Journal Articles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JacksonInTheBox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, not sure if this is the best forum for this but I was wondering if anyone knew of websites with free medical journal article access.

The only one I know of is pub med and it is horrible!

Members don't see this ad.

You should get used to pubmed. It's widely used in the medical community.

I doubt any website will have a plethora of free journal articles, as charging for papers is how journals make their money. You may want to try a hospital/school library that has biomedical journals.

Should your university have access to most journals?

I know as long as I am accessing pubmed on a school computer, I am able to read just about any article.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I did some work at a Kaiser facility but they required clearance to use their databases but when I left my clearance was deleted and I wasnt allowed access anymore.

But it was amazing when I was there EVERYTHING was free! My first search came up with nearly 200 free articles. I almost peed my pants. I guess that spoiled me.

Should your university have access to most journals?

I know as long as I am accessing pubmed on a school computer, I am able to read just about any article.

My school is pretty small. About 2000 students and our databases suck. I even have trouble just accessing them from off campus.

I have gotten some decent articles on Medscape / emedicine before. I go to a really small undergrad too, so I know what you mean about trying to find good articles. Basically you just have to search around. It sucks.

You should get used to pubmed. It's widely used in the medical community.

I doubt any website will have a plethora of free journal articles, as charging for papers is how journals make their money. You may want to try a hospital/school library that has biomedical journals.
I despise pubmed for its layout and accessibility. It's resourceful, but just what it takes to use it (patience, etc) make me hate it and resort to googling items first.

I despise pubmed for its layout and accessibility. It's resourceful, but just what it takes to use it (patience, etc) make me hate it and resort to googling items first.

Yeah it seems the search results can be quite random at times, making you sift through page after page of topics you have no need for. And then you find a title that fits actally what you want, you click it and abstract is beautiful to you and you look to the top right corner and your like...F-ing A...no article link, a wave of depression sweeps over your entire being and you feel cold and alone. :)

Yeah it seems the search results can be quite random at times, making you sift through page after page of topics you have no need for. And then you find a title that fits actally what you want, you click it and abstract is beautiful to you and you look to the top right corner and your like...F-ing A...no article link, a wave of depression sweeps over your entire being and you feel cold and alone. :)
I tend to find the former. Either that or the abstract is beautifully written but doesn't contain what i'm looking for :laugh:.

I've become rather proficient at deciphering whether or not the article is what I want from the abstract.

Are there any sites which you pay for access which might have more articles available?

might be a good present to myself...really nerdy huh.

Are there any sites which you pay for access which might have more articles available?

might be a good present to myself...really nerdy huh.
Unfortunately, I have no idea. I either use google or pubmed and try to find something through there.

Do you mean articles to read? Because that pretty much depends on the journal you subscribe to/have access to. Where I work, I have access to ALL journals ever conceived from any time frame - the only catch is that some journals I have to order the articles to be mailed to me whereas others are on the site. But I can imagine that having that access is expensive.

Physicians/doctors have access to medical journals/research articles, I would try asking them about the type of access they have and the journals they read. One physician gave me access to his journal subscription online so that I could read the articles, which was nice in a way.

Unfortunately, I have no idea. I either use google or pubmed and try to find something through there.

Do you mean articles to read? Because that pretty much depends on the journal you subscribe to/have access to. Where I work, I have access to ALL journals ever conceived from any time frame - the only catch is that some journals I have to order the articles to be mailed to me whereas others are on the site. But I can imagine that having that access is expensive.

Physicians/doctors have access to medical journals/research articles, I would try asking them about the type of access they have and the journals they read. One physician gave me access to his journal subscription online so that I could read the articles, which was nice in a way.

Yeah articles to read. I was thinking there was something like pub med that might have more access to journals. But I work at a Kaiser permanente hospital for a doc and I got access to all the journals KP has subscribed to. But I left and my access was shut down but the doc I was working with still wants me to write a few more papers and Im just trying looking everywhere for extra articles. That was the real reason for this post.

Kaustikos, Where do you work at?

You all crack me up. Not every single journal article under the sun is indexed in PubMed. If you do a search in PubMed and don't find a link to the article on the right hand side, copy and past the journal article title into Google and the article will pop right up. If you are using a computer that has access to the journals, you will get full access to the article.

Your best bet is to start with a Google search for key words "BRCA1 mutation clinical outcome" or anything like that. It saves you time.

I doubt anyone tops the number of journals I have access to. I have access to every single journal and book published in Science Direct (which equals to over 10,000 publications - journals and books) and several thousand journals from my university and the other university only 45 minutes away. In all, I have access to about 17,000 DIFFERENT journals and books.

OP,

Send me an email to the email address I sent you in a PM and I will leave you know what to do.

Does your school have VPN Client? My school has it available for students to download. It allows me to access all the journals my school is subscribed to from my laptop, even when I'm off campus.

PubMed Central is a free resource. It follows a similar scheme as PubMed, but all NIH-funded studies are mandated to be freely available on PubMed Central so it's worth a look.

At least you won't run into the whole tempting abstract, but no full text problem.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/

I find Pubmed to be an extremely useful resource. It's main flaw is that it is so comprehensive that it is possible to be overwhelmed by results. One thing which really helps when using it is utilizing the "Limits" tab near the top of the page. This allows you to choose to show only free full text articles, which is useful. Another thing which cuts down on bulky result counts is narrowing your searches by using the proper notation... I assume you are already doing this. "BRCA1 mutation" AND "clinical outcome" would give fewer results, for example, but likely more relevant ones than simply "BRCA1 mutation clinical outcome."