Free Medical Care Devalued

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

island doc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Military Treatment Facilities (MTF's) could learn a lesson from the Tennessee Governor.

Tenn. Gov. Phil Bredensen recently stated in regards to healthcare: "Tennessee has a number of faith-based clinics; at these clinics, everyone pays something for their care. People tend to value things that they pay a little bit for and don't value things that are completely free ".

One of the biggest problems with the MTF's is the fact that the services provided to a large proportion of patients is indeed "completely free" in their view. Many MTF patients take the services for granted, and do in fact devalue it. If the poverty stricken in Tennessee who obtain their care from faith-based clinics for the uninsured, are required to pay something out of their own pocket, certainly MTF patients can, and should.

As Gov. Bredensen says, "This is not being hard-hearted ".

What think ye?

Members don't see this ad.

island doc said:
The Military Treatment Facilities (MTF's) could learn a lesson from the Tennessee Governor.

Tenn. Gov. Phil Bredensen recently stated in regards to healthcare: "Tennessee has a number of faith-based clinics; at these clinics, everyone pays something for their care. People tend to value things that they pay a little bit for and don't value things that are completely free ".

One of the biggest problems with the MTF's is the fact that the services provided to a large proportion of patients is indeed "completely free" in their view. Many MTF patients take the services for granted, and do in fact devalue it. If the poverty stricken in Tennessee who obtain their care from faith-based clinics for the uninsured, are required to pay something out of their own pocket, certainly MTF patients can, and should.

As Gov. Bredensen says, "This is not being hard-hearted ".

What think ye?

Amen!! The Faith based clinics have it right.

Troll away...

Tricare beneficiaries pay for their healthcare with their military service. Consider the case of a young Marine who suffers a shrapnel injury in his leg secondary to an IED. Some feel these people and their dependents should receive healthcare at no out of pocket cost.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't agree that this is trolling.

When everything is "free", people start to feel entitled and start to abuse the system.....that is human nature....at least for most humans.

IgD said:
Troll away...

Tricare beneficiaries pay for their healthcare with their military service. Consider the case of a young Marine who suffers a shrapnel injury in his leg secondary to an IED. Some feel these people and their dependents should receive healthcare at no out of pocket cost.

IgD;this is not a question of whether our military families have earned thier free health care; they have. What I am saying is that when you have a completely free product, you inherently run into problems,especially when there are financial restrictions being placed on the system.

If the USGOV wants to give completely free everything healthcare, I have no problem with that IF, and only IF, they are willing to invest in the infrastructure and supply of docs,staff, and $$$ to support that kind of system. The current problem is that the USGOV is obviously NOT providing that kind of support to the healthcare system and that leaves the docs and pateints left holding the "empty bag".

If the US mil is going to run a "save $$ at allcosts" healthcare system,then they need to design it differently, and one of the key design changes has to be it can't be ALL free.

myopinion.

How about no extra fees for E-4 and below and a mere 5$ visit co pay up to 50 dollar annual per family for E5-E9 and 100$ for officers--- still very, very affordable, but makes patients understand the value of the service they are provided.

The Tricare system has it set up that the "average" patient will be seen 3-4 times in 1 year.... I have some patients that don't really have any serious chronic medical conditions and have 40 visits in a year-- why, because they can... Just a 1$ co pay would elimate alot of these trivial visits.

There should be no change to retired benefits-- they have paid their dues and most are on a fairly fixed income.

My thoughts..

If a laboring patient wants an epidural....they should pay for the kit and medicine....labor will be "free"

militarymd said:
If a laboring patient wants an epidural....they should pay for the kit and medicine....labor will be "free"

The economics of our system are nuts. I don't have a problem with no co-pay, but I'd like to have a fine for no-shows. I would make it $10,000. Ok, maybe not but something. I have days in clinic where I have 80% no shows, mean while my other patients have to go to the ED because they can't get an appointment.

Now the ED definately needs a co-pay. I love the folks that come in at midnight for a prescription refill. WTF?

I also love the people who won't take a medicine unless it's free. They wont buy a bottle of tylenol. I've had patient sit in the pharmacy line for 3 hours rather than pay for ibuprofen themselves. Go figure.

Ed