1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Free radical addition

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by motivated dent, Jan 6, 2009.

1. motivated dent

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    On the first achiever test for number 84 it says that a free radical addition is anit and i looked in the orgo book and it's right. but i don't get why the HBr with hv is considered a free radical addition. wouldnt' it be considered a plan irradiation reaction with markovinikov addition? i thought that if the HBr includes a peroxide then it follows the anti addition.

#1 motivated dent, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Sublimation

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I have yet to see the Q but any type of peroxide (used basically as a solvent) will form a antimarkovnikov addition, except in the case of HCl and HI. If you added HBr with no peroxide, and heat, you can expect a free radical reaction because the heat will cause the HBr to form a radical. [This is more commonly seen with Br2 or dihalides]. If you post the Q i can be of more help. :)