Free Stuff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kstater

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which programs interviewed at gave the best freebies. Who paid for plane trip/hotel/meals,etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

kstater said:
Which programs interviewed at gave the best freebies. Who paid for plane trip/hotel/meals,etc.?

What specialty are you applying to? The freebies vary greatly from specialty to specialty.

The amount of freebies is inversely proportional to the competitiveness of your specialty. More competitive = Very little free stuff. Less competitive = Lots of free stuff.

Harrie said:
The amount of freebies is inversely proportional to the competitiveness of your specialty. More competitive = Very little free stuff. Less competitive = Lots of free stuff.
not necessarily, IM generally doesn't give out my free stuff

Indiana for radiology - awesome dinner the night before which had more residents than students, and they paid for EVERYTHING (ahem). Also gave us a hotel room at their University hotel down the street from where we had to be in the morning.

Wisconsin for radiology - really fun dinner the night before. excellent country club lunch the next day before leaving.

I have heard that Wash U for gas gives a hotel and $500 travelling expense? something like that. That's pretty pimp.

EctopicFetus said:
Hercules how about EM?

Sadly anemic especially in the South :thumbdown: . Well at least compared to other specialties. Most places will take you out the night before which is always nice and gives yo ua good chance to hang out with the residents. Don't count on getting your room or travel costs paid for, though. From what I hear, several of the programs in the Midwest take care of hotels for you.

I interviewed with a guy who was couple matching with his wife who was doing Family. He got a sweet deal b/c most of the Family programs would pay for a room for the two of them to stay in.

When i interviewed 2 years ago for EM one of the Akron OH programs put you up in a hotel with a whirlpool in the room. Henry Ford at the St. Regis in Detroit. out of 17 interviews one or two others paid for a place i think. About half had something the night before.

FP=lots of free stuff.

I only had 4 interviews, but for each the programs paid for my hotel room the night before and took me out to dinner the night before.

Some of the smaller community programs where I interviewed (for G Surg) paid for my hotel room. Some of the hotels were VERY nice, too.

any freebies for ob/gyn interviews?

if you're looking for free stuff, someone at my school just told me about this online offer for a free flatscreen monitor - you just sign up for a trial offer (i did 2 weeks free of blockbuster online), refer some people, and they ship it out - no catch. i thought it was a scam, too, but my friend just got his in the mail and didn't have to pay a cent. if you're looking for a new computer or monitor when moving on from med school, this could be very helpful.

here is the link:

http://www.FreeFlatScreens.com/?r=14017717