"Free Time" While in a Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spiralgalaxy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I'll be starting an MSOT program in January at CSUDH-- I know a few others on this forum will be too. I'm excited to begin the next chapter of my life and work toward my career.

While applying, I underestimated just how busy I'm going to be in a full-time program. Each semester is either 16 or 17 units and go on for all but one month of the year. I assumed I'd be able to work part-time but that isn't seeming like the best idea anymore. I'm also in a serious relationship with someone I don't live with (he's about 50 miles away), so I assume the time we spend together will also have to drop.

So I was wondering, as current and past students, how wise do you think I'd be to try to hold a PT job (10-15 hrs/week)? And just how much free time as a grad student do you really have to spend with your loved ones? I know many folks say their relationships suffer while in school, so I suppose I want to be able to anticipate how much I'll need to try to keep my personal life from falling too far off the way side.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Free time is relative! Some of my cohort would swear that there is no time for a pt job or a life. Others will say that they put more work into undergrad.

There are some individuals who have part time jobs, and others who would never consider it. I recommend that you wait at least part way into the first semester and see how you handle the workload.

What kind of part time job were you considering? You will need to make sure the schedule is flexible or that you have a forgiving boss. Our schedules change every semester. Some days we are required to show up on non-class days for competency exams.

Resot, thanks for your input! Where do you attend school?

The job would be a continuation of my current work as a cognitive trainer. Usually there are set hours that I meet with my students and a fair amount of flexibility, but you're right-- maybe I need to test the waters before I commit to trying to keep some income through school.

You're totally right about free time being relative. I did well as an undergrad with a big workload and had a good social life. I guess I just realized how many classes are loaded up into a single semester and freaked a little.. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Im in the MOT right now and I was unable to work this term...its just to much with the papers and classes. I didnt have much of a life my first year and the second year prob not much. I usual even use up weekends to catch up on it in the library. Undergrad I worked a full 30 hours a week just unable to do it..So you might want to just see how the first semester goes...its going to depend on what your schedule looks like and if you will have any other projects on top of regular class work. Put it like this had to make a invention a adaptive equipment which took all semester to build.you never know the types of projects you might get!

Last edited:
I am in a weekend program at Philau and although I don't love all aspects of the program I am able to work 15-20 hours week no problem. And except for a few intense weeks I have plenty of spare time. Def easier than my undergrad.

thats cause ur in a weekend program...fulltime is harder to work. I do not recommend working unless your in a weekend or part time schedule. The ones who do work a few in my program they are just drained from working and catching up on all the work that is due by deadline and have to squeeze in study time..

Last edited:
Hi All,

I've been reading through the forum, and I had similar concerns about working part-time (about 20 hrs) while attending OT school full time. I know that OT school is rigorous and demanding, however, I may still need to work part time to help with living expenses. Anyone else in a similar situation...any advice? I plan on taking out student loans to help as well.

Thanks,

Madusa :confused:

If any of you are good at a sport you can teach private lessons for only a couple/few hours a week.