General Admissions & OTCAS First time applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Latia Jones

Reaction score
I am hoping to apply to for OT school this year, MUSC and UNC are a couple that I want to apply to. I have a 3.4 GPA, 80+ hours in observation in 3 different settings, probably have about 8+ hours volunteering at an orphan relief center (may be getting more hours soon), and I am taking the GRE soon but I don't want to apply to school that require the GRE because I don't think I will do that good on it. Its been kind of hard getting hours where I live, there are still places that are not allowing students to observe or volunteer. Are there any tips that could help me be more a competitive applicant? Specifically with writing the personal statement and the resume or just anything in general I guess. Also is the an updated list with schools who don't require the GRE? I have been looking but they are all from 2018 or 2019.
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

MUSC heavily favors in state applicants, so don't be surprised if not being in state is a factor for that. i applied but am from NY and didnt get an interview. i think 80+ hours sounds great, try not to worry about that! that should hit the standard requirements for most programs. for the gre, most websites should be updated for the schools, and most of the schools on US news top 20 dont require it! :)

as for personal statement and supplemental questions, try and think of a short anecdote about an experience during your observation hours that relates to you, or made you realize "OT is what i want to do forever!" you always want to make sure you're relating your story back to how and why that will make you a better ot than someone else!

hope this all helps! for reference i applied to BU, duke, Midwestern IL, tOSU, Pitt, USC, tufts, and MUSC. accepted at USC and duke and attending USC in the fall :)

MUSC heavily favors in state applicants, so don't be surprised if not being in state is a factor for that. i applied but am from NY and didnt get an interview. i think 80+ hours sounds great, try not to worry about that! that should hit the standard requirements for most programs. for the gre, most websites should be updated for the schools, and most of the schools on US news top 20 dont require it! :)

as for personal statement and supplemental questions, try and think of a short anecdote about an experience during your observation hours that relates to you, or made you realize "OT is what i want to do forever!" you always want to make sure you're relating your story back to how and why that will make you a better ot than someone else!

hope this all helps! for reference i applied to BU, duke, Midwestern IL, tOSU, Pitt, USC, tufts, and MUSC. accepted at USC and duke and attending USC in the fall :)
Thanks so much that helped a lot and congrats on your acceptances. I live in South Carolina so I wanted something close to home. I just heard that MUSC might be too competitive and I believe its the only school in South Carolina that has an OTD program, so I guess I am just worried about that. Thanks again!!!