Free webinar on UAE from GIANT in the field!

Started by kubIR
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kubIR

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Check out a free live online lecture that I heard about on Uterine Artery Embolization given by Dr. James Spies from Georgetown. He is one of the leading experts in the world about this topic and it is a rare opportunity. Details are below.

Date: Thursday, December 13, 2012
Time: 4:00 pm, Pacific Standard Time, 7.00pm eastern
Meeting Number: 571 471 569
Meeting Password: lecture123

LINK:

https://kponline.webex.com/kponline...1367335337&PW=NNmJkZDViMmIy&RT=MiM0 \t _blank
 
As someone who is a practicing interventionalist and who sees many patients in clinic with fibroid disease and menorrhagia etc, I would have to see that every time I hear him speak I learn a thing or two about the evaluation and management of fibroid disease. He was paramount in advancing the field of IR in the evaluation and management of fibroids.

He is a strong clinician and researcher. There is some pretty solid data on the efficacy of Uterine artery embolization including the prospective registry ie the fibroid registry as well as the randomized controlled trials REST and EMMY. There are ongoing trials comparing UAE to myomectomy for patients who want to preserve fertility.

UAE has a shorter hospitalization and more rapid recovery than hysterectomy and myomectomy with a relatively low complication rate. The caveat is that patients with UAE may have a recurrence rate of 10 to 20 percent at 5 years that may require a repeat procedure or adjunct procedure, while obviously with a hysterectomy you are usually one and done.
 
I agree with irwarrior -- I have seen/heard Spies several times and I perform a lot of UFEs but there is always something to learn, even if it is just a tweak on how you do something or manage the patient. I think this is a great opportunity.

To "Dumb" -- I'm not sure why you were underwhelmed but Dr. Spies is truly a leader and clinical specialist in UFE/fibroid disease so perhaps hearing him again may change your mind.