FREIDA Ortho Residency Step Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPSmyth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an M2 at a reputable US MD school with an interest in ortho. I love the field but I was originally discouraged from it because of the competitiveness, I didn't want to have to work myself to death to be able to match (and potentially not even match).

I see on FREIDA through the AMA site that many ortho programs list their average Step 1 score of current residents as 221-240. Is this falsely reported as lower than it really is? The national average is now what, 234ish?

Granted these are programs that are not prestigious or in the most desirable locations (NYC, DC, Boston, California, etc). But is it actually possible to be competitive to match in ortho with a step score of 235-240 (or somewhere right around the average)? I'm obviously aiming for a higher score but I'm just curious.

It seems Step score is one of the greatest determining factors of competitiveness, and this is the hurdle which is most immediate in my future. Will worry about clinical grades and research if I can attain a competitive score.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Scores continue to climb every year. Applicants are better every year. Use charting outcomes for the most updated information..

When I was a senior, the med students we were interviewing were all studs. I would have never had a chance matching with my application vs them. I remember one student, started a multi million dollar company in med school, now a silent partner, 99%ile boards, and like 10 research projects, and the best part, was a super normal easy to get a long with dude.

Reactions: 1 user
Scores continue to climb every year. Applicants are better every year. Use charting outcomes for the most updated information..

When I was a senior, the med students we were interviewing were all studs. I would have never had a chance matching with my application vs them. I remember one student, started a multi million dollar company in med school, now a silent partner, 99%ile boards, and like 10 research projects, and the best part, was a super normal easy to get a long with dude.