French Requirements at Universite de Montreal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steady hands

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to attend Universite de Montreal but my French is not good right now. I will be starting university, undergrad medical science at the University of Western Ontario in September and will be starting to study French at a beginner level. If I continue to take a course per year for four years as well as a summer immersion course in Trois-Pistole and a month in Paris with Amerispan one summer, will that give me enough French to meet the French requirements? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It all depends on the level of your grammar. It'a hard to tell if this will be enough or not. It all depends on the time you spend on it.

To be accepted in Univ de Montréal, you will have to to the international french test. If you pass, you'll be eligible to apply.

It all depends on the level of your grammar. It'a hard to tell if this will be enough or not. It all depends on the time you spend on it.

To be accepted in Univ de Montréal, you will have to to the international french test. If you pass, you'll be eligible to apply.

You don't just have to pass, you need to pass with 860 or more I believe. Each year the requirement is different, so far I have only seen it increase.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't just have to pass, you need to pass with 860 or more I believe. Each year the requirement is different, so far I have only seen it increase.

Yes you need 860 which is equivalent to 86% since a perfect score is 990.

Beginner french will not cut it, sorry.

I want to attend Universite de Montreal but my French is not good right now. I will be starting university, undergrad medical science at the University of Western Ontario in September and will be starting to study French at a beginner level. If I continue to take a course per year for four years as well as a summer immersion course in Trois-Pistole and a month in Paris with Amerispan one summer, will that give me enough French to meet the French requirements? Thanks

Hi,
Im a med student at Sherbrooke uni, which is also in Quebec...and has similar requirements as Udem...
However..Udem asks for 2 french tests:
1/ One that u will have to pass just as an admission requirement...it is the one where u ll have to get 860 points..u can pass that i think in several places in Canada..(Québec..Manitoba as far as i know)...but again, this is just to get ur application reviewed..it doesnt mean you will be accepted or you are accepted if u re asked to pass it...
2/ If you are accepted, u will have to pass the TFI test (Test de Français Institutionnel) which is much much harder..u can pass it anytime once u re in med student (u need to get over 60% of which 20 points in grammar i think..) HOWEVER, u can not get ur medical degree (even if u pass the LMCC, final year exams) if u didnt pass this exam, so u need to arrange for a suitable date..(i took it in my first year)...usually if u dont pass it the 1st time, u re obliged by the faculty to take one semester of a French course to prepare for this exam.

As for the Uni of Sherbrooke it only asks for the 2nd exam because it is a provincial requirement (since the implementation of La loi 101 for the protection of the french language)...but they dont make u pass the 1st exam which is totally unecessary...Sherbrooke is also much better than UdeM as for the quality of teaching and the final national exams ...so..i would def recommend u to check it as well during ur applications...

Good luck

Hey thanks for your replys and the info on Sherbrooke vs UdeM. Im hoping that after four years of french courses, finishing off with a first year course in french literature, i will pass all the tests.