US citizen, trained in US, looking at practicing pediatrics in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PedsHospitalistDoc

Reaction score
Has anyone here successfully transitioned from being a US-trained pediatrician and US Citizen to practicing pediatrics in Canada?

I've been starting to look at the requirements for licensure in Canada (probably British Columbia) and am having a hard time figuring out whether my training, exams, and experience will be accepted. I've seen the MCCQE mentioned as a requirement for licensure, but on another site (Licensing and Registration - Health Match BC - British Columbia Physician, Nurse, and Allied Health Recruitment - Canada) it appears that passing all the steps of the USMLE will count in lieu of taking the Canadian exams.

I also can't figure out whether my 3 year ACGME-accredited pediatric residency will be approved, since pediatrics is a 4 year program in Canada. I looked at the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons page and it looks like they would have to review my particular residency program with the Training Assessment process which costs $1130.

Does the Royal College of Physicians consider ACGME training programs equivalent to Canadian residencies, or is it possible they would ask me to complete an additional year of training even with having nearly 10 years of post-residency work experience? And will I have to take the MCCQE or does the USMLE count?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

British Columbia will accept USMLE in lieu of Canadian exams. As far as Royal College assessment of training goes you will need 4 years of training to be eligible to challenge pediatrics exam. One way to do it can be a chief year or a one year fellowship.

I am internal medicine trained in US with one year Geri fellowship. The USMLEs and ABIM suffice fo start practicing internal medicine in BC. Although the credentialing is going through hell and a lot of money. You are able to practice if you have the credentialing done and have the US board and the. You have 3 years to take Canadian boards.
BUT this is just in theory! Practically I wasn’t able to find a job! It has to be supervised by university! There are a lot of private practices who welcome you to work but you need RC boards. I gave up and started working in the states.
I think PEDS in Canada is 5 years.

A community has popped up of US-trained physicians who want to move abroad. They cover Canada pretty well! I think they're going to have a multi-specialty webinar on moving to Ontario soon and will do this for other provinces...