Fresh Year, 1st Sem Academic Probation = no chance of MD school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJ98

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hey guys, so in my 1st semester of freshman year of college, i was on academic probation with a 1.9 GPA. The second semester I got that up to a 4.0! My GPA has taken some hits but if all goes well, after taking an extra semester to graduate, i could graduate with a 3.5 best case. Now, my MCAT score was 520+, so i am kind of banking on that to boost my academic stats.

Would my first sem of academic probation look really bad to medical schools?

Members don't see this ad.

That MCAT score coupled with that upward trend ( if the 3.5 is obtained) along with good ECs and a good App mean you stand a good chance of MD and ceetainly DO.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, so in my 1st semester of freshman year of college, i was on academic probation with a 1.9 GPA. The second semester I got that up to a 4.0! My GPA has taken some hits but if all goes well, after taking an extra semester to graduate, i could graduate with a 3.5 best case. Now, my MCAT score was 520+, so i am kind of banking on that to boost my academic stats.

Would my first sem of academic probation look really bad to medical schools?
You're fine, and congrats on the rebound!

Yep. Academic probation is one of the more benign IAs you can have, especially if you've got a stellar upward trend (which you do) and an excellent MCAT (which you have). Good luck - and you've got a solid shot at MD. In fact, Goro might advise you to apply as if you have a 3.8 GPA...but not to be too top-heavy and perhaps to include some DO schools.

Yep. Academic probation is one of the more benign IAs you can have, especially if you've got a stellar upward trend (which you do) and an excellent MCAT (which you have). Good luck - and you've got a solid shot at MD. In fact, Goro might advise you to apply as if you have a 3.8 GPA...but not to be too top-heavy and perhaps to include some DO schools.

Thanks! What do you mean by top heavy exactly??