fresher '08 RCSI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msk90

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm going to be starting the 6 year program at RCSI this September and I have a few questions for others who have gone through the same program at RCSI.
1. What is it like living in Mercer court?
2. What are class schedules like? (length of lecture, number of classes per day, etc.)
3. What is the work load like for first year students?
4. What type of laptops do new students recieve?
5. When do we buy textbooks and do we need notebooks for notes or can we take notes on the laptop?
6. This is sort of a stupid question but for first year students is it generally studying 24/7 or do we have time for entertainment and such (everyone needs some time off right?)?
7. Can anyone tell me about the dance program?

That's all! If anyone could reply to this thread it would be greatly appreciated!

msk.:)

Members don't see this ad.

Saw that no one has replied so I'll take a stab at it
Me: RCSI GEP

I live there now (but didn't for most of the year).
-Rooms are big with ensuite showers.
-4 apts/kitchen and lounge, one may by a double.
-Rooms tend to be allocated by nationality (all Canadians together type of thing)
-The building is attached to the library one block from college.
-My bottom line is that I like it (but won't live here next year as it doesn't work with my program)

2. What are class schedules like? (length of lecture, number of classes per day, etc.)
-lectures are an hour long
-you'll get about three a day, plus 2 afternons of anatomy and one of clinical skills training.

-work load is highly variable depending on how you study (cram v. repetitive)
-there are very few assignments and a general lack of busy work

-this year it was HP Compaq 6715b for the first years with the senior cycle students getting a new HP tablet PC (not sure what model)
-last year it was macbooks
-next year i think more PCs

5. When do we buy textbooks and do we need notebooks for notes or can we take notes on the laptop?
-there is a used textbook sale at the begining of the year; the library is also well stocked. i'd suggest minimal purchasing the classes are quite comprehensive. Just buy an anatomy book (i use Daley & Moore); and then see what you think you'll need once you've spent some time in class.
My purchases this year: Aids to the examination of the peripheral nervous system, and the mini Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine.

-i take all my notes on my laptop (my tablet, which predates RCSI, the HP is a brick but most kids use theirs) and this is the most common method. All lectures will be downloadable.

6. This is sort of a stupid question but for first year students is it generally studying 24/7 or do we have time for entertainment and such (everyone needs some time off right?)?
-you'll have time, maybe not for a job but you won't go crazy or anything. I go out with friends at least one night a week, many do more, and this is in the condensed GEP programme.

There's a dance society which is a well organized club. A couple of shows are put on per year. All teams/clubs are student run.

Saw that no one has replied so I'll take a stab at it
Me: RCSI GEP

I live there now (but didn't for most of the year).
-Rooms are big with ensuite showers.
-4 apts/kitchen and lounge, one may by a double.
-Rooms tend to be allocated by nationality (all Canadians together type of thing)
-The building is attached to the library one block from college.
-My bottom line is that I like it (but won't live here next year as it doesn't work with my program)

-lectures are an hour long
-you'll get about three a day, plus 2 afternons of anatomy and one of clinical skills training.

-work load is highly variable depending on how you study (cram v. repetitive)
-there are very few assignments and a general lack of busy work

-this year it was HP Compaq 6715b for the first years with the senior cycle students getting a new HP tablet PC (not sure what model)

-there is a used textbook sale at the begining of the year; the library is also well stocked. i'd suggest minimal purchasing (the classes are quite comprehensive. Just buy an anatomy book (i use Daley & Moore); and then see what you think you'll need once you've spent some time in class.
My purchases this year: Aids to the examination of the peripheral nervous system, and the mini Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine.

-i take all my notes on my laptop (my tablet, which predates RCSI, the HP is a brick but most kids use theirs) and this is the most common method. All lectures will be downloadable.

-you'll have time, maybe not for a job but you won't go crazy or anything. I go out with friends at least one night a week, many do more, and this is in the condensed GEP programme.

There's a dance society which is a well organized club. A couple of shows are put on per year. All teams/clubs are student run.

Members don't see this ad :)

Really? Senior cycle students got a new tablet? Is that typical? Cause that's incredibly awesome.
And, yea, more PCs next year. September 2008, we're getting the HP Compaq 6710b.

well, i can't say to typical as this is the first year they've done that; but it happened.

thats funny, to be 18 y/o and moving to dublin...... GOOD TIMES!!!!!
We got those old school mac's the ones that looked like toilet bowls.

Hi there! I go to RCSI, but in Bahrain campus. I might not be able to answer the questions regarding living in mercer, but I would like to add a few things. I entered the 5-year program and talking to people in my class who are from the 6 year program, you need to study moreso as the years go by (except I believe JC3-was told its not that much of a load). DO NOT LEAVE ANATOMY AT THE END. I can not stress that enough. If you are a crammer, this is one course you can not and absolutely should not cram for. I dont think you do anatomy in first year of the 6 year program, but when you go to second year, keep this in mind. You will have time to go out definately, but I advise you not to cram. This is medical school and the amount of material you need to study is going to increase steadily over the years. Hope this helps.

Hey, thank you all so much. I really appreciate the help. In terms of the lectures in a day, if there's only 3 lectures a day and 2 afternoons of anatomy every week, we'll have time off during the day, right? Also I'm living in Mercer Court room 411 and I know there's a tv in each room. Can I get channels like Much or MTV or shows like House, Grey's, Heroes or Gossip Girl on it? I'm from Mississauga, Ontario by the way. If anyone else is in the same boat as me let me know. I'd love to get to know you.

Sorry, yes there is a TV with cable in each room. And another TV one in the common room where the fridge/stove/microwave are. There is also a bigger shared kitchen and common room for the whole building you can use if you want to have a party or something.

Also on the anatomy comment above, there is no way to leave anatomy to the end as you'll have bi-weekly oral exams called 'card signing'. The staff will catch you if you start to slip. If there is one thing that RCSI is good at its teaching clinical anatomy.

Cheers!

Oh and I'm in Toronto for the summer if anyone wants to meet up for a coffee and questions.

Sorry, yes there is a TV with cable in each room. And another TV one in the common room where the fridge/stove/microwave are. There is also a bigger shared kitchen and common room for the whole building you can use if you want to have a party or something.

Also on the anatomy comment above, there is no way to leave anatomy to the end as you'll have bi-weekly oral exams called 'card signing'. The staff will catch you if you start to slip. If there is one thing that RCSI is good at its teaching clinical anatomy.

Cheers!

--- Oh what I meant to ask actually was if we only have anatomy a few times a week will we have some afternoons off? Sorry

Yes you will have more than a few afternoons off.

Cheers!

--- Oh what I meant to ask actually was if we only have anatomy a few times a week will we have some afternoons off? Sorry

I thought he was starting premed? Anatomy starts in first med right and so are card signings.

Anywho from my experience, you will have plentyof free time. Make sure to join clubs and societies and things like that. But the best way to study is by repetition (i regret cramming as you don't retain as much). But courses are not diffcult at all. There are labs now for both phys and chem as well language assignments (essays and such). And PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD don't buy textbooks right away, wait for the used book sale, as you well have over a hundred euros, trust me. (btw i did premed in 2006 so i didn't have the chem+phys labs as well essays and stuff). GL :luck:

Sorry, I spaced on the foundation year part. Ignore my comments about the cirriculum; they refer to first med not the first year of the six year program.

Hello everybody!! Im an Irish student starting up at RCSI this year. I had to decide between UCD and there, I had been happy enough about my decision but now from reading posts etc on this site im not sure anymore. What is RCSI really like? is it really a type of 'buy a degree' institution? Im at my wits end now!! Whats the reputation like here?

Thank you all so much for your replies. I also have a question regarding foundation year physics. What were the main topics covered, was it mainly focused on during 1st semester, how much attention was paid to the electricity chapters?

do the new laptops come with remotes and/or webcams? because i'm considering bringing my own.