Freshman applying to REUs/SURFs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureAnesthesiologist87

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a freshman biochem major at a large state University. I have a 4.0 gpa and currently research 10 hours a week (thinking of upping to 15 in spring) and volunteer 15 hours a week. What are my chances of getting into one of the less competetive REUs at some of the more obscure Universities (like Alabama State, South Dakota, Clemson, Colorado State, Nebraska). I am also part URM.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a freshman biochem major at a large state University. I have a 4.0 gpa and currently research 10 hours a week (thinking of upping to 15 in spring) and volunteer 15 hours a week. What are my chances of getting into one of the less competetive REUs at some of the more obscure Universities (like Alabama State, South Dakota, Clemson, Colorado State, Nebraska). I am also part URM.

Out of the 25+ summer research programs I've applied to in the past, I don't recall any of them accepting freshman. They are really geared towards juniors and seniors.