Freshman applying to REUs/SURFs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FutureAnesthesiologist87

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a freshman biochem major at a large state University. I have a 4.0 gpa and currently research 10 hours a week (thinking of upping to 15 in spring) and volunteer 15 hours a week. What are my chances of getting into one of the less competetive REUs at some of the more obscure Universities (like Alabama State, South Dakota, Clemson, Colorado State, Nebraska). I am also part URM.
 
I'm a freshman biochem major at a large state University. I have a 4.0 gpa and currently research 10 hours a week (thinking of upping to 15 in spring) and volunteer 15 hours a week. What are my chances of getting into one of the less competetive REUs at some of the more obscure Universities (like Alabama State, South Dakota, Clemson, Colorado State, Nebraska). I am also part URM.

Out of the 25+ summer research programs I've applied to in the past, I don't recall any of them accepting freshman. They are really geared towards juniors and seniors.