freshman in UG, how am I doing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneLove

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my GPA is 3.8 so far. Ive involved myself as a worship team member (guitar and drums)in intervaristy chrsitian fellowship both at my last school and my current one(spring transfer) Additionally im the service coordinator for psychology club here at my current school. I am also joining other ecs such as juggling club, fencing club (just for fun of course) I also am setting up a routine volunteer schedule at the doty building near my school (organization dedicated to helping those with developemental disabilities). Should I actively seek out other organizations to join? is my GPA allright? etc. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You are fine.

I would warn against doing to many things at once for two reasons.

1. School will get harder, ALOT HARDER (assuming you have a hard major)
2. You may end up burning yourself out

Things definitely get more intense. Extra activities on your paperwork looks nice but take it easy. I might suggest that you commit yourself to making a real difference in one or two areas as opposed to being lightly involved in dozens. In the end, do you want to be able to look back and say, "I made a difference, I left my mark" or "I kept real busy!"

Work on developing yourself - who you really are, not who somebody wants you to be. The med schools will recognize a strong individual!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't really plan on joining too many other ex curriculars. I have a lot of free time so I think I just may try to enjoy myself pursuing personal interests while I still have time. I also realize that a 3.8 won't come as easily once the more difficult courses start rolling in. I haven't even taking any premeds yet. I expect those classes will substantially lower my gpa, so I'm aiming for straight a's right now. Thanks for the advice guys :D

don't do toooo many things. do things that you enjoy and put in the quality, not quantity. and find a healthcare related experience. like shadow a doc. i did that for 3 years and it def paid off. gluck!... oh yeah, PS... the MCAT is ur nemesis. beware!

Dude, those stats are not going to cut it. What do you think this is, alllopathic school? 3.8?? You need at least a 3.86...and only 4 clubs? C'mon...Get involved!!

I would definatley love to shadow a physician (preferably a psychiatrist) How would I go about doing such a thing?

Talk to a prof about starting research during the summer. At least one of your summers should be devoted to shadowing, and one should be devoted to research. It may be a little late in the year, but you may want to check out if any REU programs are still available. The cornell website has a list that is chronologically organized by deadlines for application. Check it out.

Kevbot said:
Talk to a prof about starting research during the summer. At least one of your summers should be devoted to shadowing, and one should be devoted to research. It may be a little late in the year, but you may want to check out if any REU programs are still available. The cornell website has a list that is chronologically organized by deadlines for application. Check it out.

I am planning on taking general chem this summer along with getting some experience by volunteering at a hospital. I was hoping to get involved with research sophmore or Jr Year(imstilla freshman). Does it really matter that much if I do my reserach during fall and spring semesters as opposed to over the summer breaks? Also I don't thiknk I will be getting involved with reserach in any of the Natural science departments. Rather, I hope to get put into reserach dealing more with my majolr (psychology). Will this matter to the addmissions committees? I would hate to do research in a field when i have research oppurtunities in another field that I am much more interested in.

Thanks,
Peter

OneLove said:
I am planning on taking general chem this summer along with getting some experience by volunteering at a hospital. I was hoping to get involved with research sophmore or Jr Year(imstilla freshman). Does it really matter that much if I do my reserach during fall and spring semesters as opposed to over the summer breaks? Also I don't thiknk I will be getting involved with reserach in any of the Natural science departments. Rather, I hope to get put into reserach dealing more with my majolr (psychology). Will this matter to the addmissions committees? I would hate to do research in a field when i have research oppurtunities in another field that I am much more interested in.

Thanks,
Peter

Your plan sounds just fine! In fact, it's very similar to what I did. I took calculus the summer after my first year of college, then began doing research in a neurology lab the following summer (and went back to the same lab again the summer between junior and senior year of college). It's not necessary to do research ALL the time, but it does look good to find a position or specific interest and stick with it.

As far as research goes: follow your passion. Please, please don't do something *just* to get into medical school. I'm also really interested in psych, so I went for research in cognitive/behavioral neurology. It's been exciting and wonderful because I worked for an MD/PhD and became not only his research assistant, but also his assistant in clinic. Voila - clinical and research experience all in one! I would've been terribly bored culturing cells all summer, but instead I had the time of my life, realized that maybe neurology really is for me, and enjoyed working with the geriatric population (Alzheimer's research).