Freshman, making bad grades. No chance for pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CorrieNC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very frustrated with myself. I thought I'd get into college, work hard and get good grades. Now I'm in college studying hard but not making the grades. I just got back my first test grades and I am so disappointed in myself. I feel like I've now dug myself into a pit and won't be able to get out.

How limiting are freshman grades? I just went and shadowed a pharmacist this weekend and loved it, now it feels like that dream is unachievable.

I go to every class and every study session, I re-write my notes, I make flashcards, and I do all of the extra online activities. I just feel like I'm just not smart enough. Which I know is stupid but I feel like my grades are a refection of my abilities.

Whats the most devastating is know that with these grades I know I won't be getting A's, I will be lucky to get B's.

I don't know I just hate how these grades make me feel, particularly that with each lower grade I'm making it harder for me to achieve my dream.

I would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer, thanks for letting me vent.

Members don't see this ad.

I am very frustrated with myself. I thought I'd get into college, work hard and get good grades. Now I'm in college studying hard but not making the grades. I just got back my first test grades and I am so disappointed in myself. I feel like I've now dug myself into a pit and won't be able to get out.

How limiting are freshman grades? I just went and shadowed a pharmacist this weekend and loved it, now it feels like that dream is unachievable.

I go to every class and every study session, I re-write my notes, I make flashcards, and I do all of the extra online activities. I just feel like I'm just not smart enough. Which I know is stupid but I feel like my grades are a refection of my abilities.

Whats the most devastating is know that with these grades I know I won't be getting A's, I will be lucky to get B's.

I don't know I just hate how these grades make me feel, particularly that with each lower grade I'm making it harder for me to achieve my dream.

Calm down. It's only the first test.
I understand you are panicked but it's not time to think about this issue.
Just Study harder for next test and do your best to get better grades.
Think about this again after you get the final grades.

Maybe the way you're studying isn't the most effective for you. Try different studying techniques until you find one that works for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe the way you're studying isn't the most effective for you. Try different studying techniques until you find one that works for you.

Sometimes studying in groups is effective. This is the time in your life that you absolutely must find what works for you.

Also remember that for each class you are in until you have the first test you won't know how the professor tests. This never changes; after the first test from any given professor you should be able to more effectively study for future tests. Good Luck!

I know it's impossible for you to take this advice, but in retrospect I wish I had taken more time to enjoy myself while in undergrad. You won't believe how easy it will seem in retrospect.

Listen, no one expects you to be perfect. Stop putting so much pressure on yourself and don't compare yourself to the ideal you you have in your head. And don't compare yourself to random people who post their overinflated stats on the internet.

Read this: http://calnewport.com/blog/2010/04/01/i-got-a-c-on-my-orgo-exam-what-should-i-do/#more-729

Provided your performance reflects a culture shock at starting college and not a fatal flaw in your ability to study or motivation to succeed, you're fine. Find the resources at your school that can help you. There's certainly a tutoring center or something that can help you out. RELAX.

Yes, it's about studying smarter, not harder.

I re-write my notes, I make flashcards, and I do all of the extra online activities

That just might be a waste of time doing busy work.

You will just need to work towards hitting your stride.

If it helps I got a C and a D my first semester in college and a D in my second semester in college. I would suggest changing study habits or at least the material you concentrate on. It's a hard skill to learn, but most of my undergrad teachers like to emphasize certain points and just skim over others. If you can pick out which ones they tend to spend more time on, you can usually figure out what's more likely to be tested on. (Didn't always work this way in pharm school since many people only gave a single lecture, but otherwise continued fairly well throughout.)

Hang in there- my fall freshman grades weren't where I wanted them to be either, but I used the semester to learn some study skills and habits. I was able to tackle the spring freshman semester with a totally different approach- staying slightly ahead of the syllabus and studying for exams with a continuous, low-intensity approach (instead of all nighter cram sessions). It made a big difference.

One semester is only 15-18 credits- there is plenty of time to boost a GPA now. One of my classmates in anatomy is working to boost grades in order to get into pharmacy school- he already has a BS in bio, and he told me his overall GPA from undergrad was 2.4-something. He is in trouble, but you've got a great opportunity to use this semester as a learning example (just don't completely tank it) and come out strong in the spring. And besides...IT'S NOT EVEN OCTOBER YET- PLENTY OF TIME TO STILL DO GOOD THIS SEMESTER!!

Good luck!

Don't be discouraged! The first year of college is IMO the toughest because you have to adjust. It's all about finding the most effective way to study. Remember, pharmacy schools also like to see improvement, so even if you're not doing so well right now, you can always improve! Freshman classes also tend to be "weeder" classes with harsh curves, so don't give up hope. Personally, I enjoyed my upper division classes much more because they focused more on actually learning material as opposed to just getting a good grade and, as a result, did better in my upper-divs.

Above all, remember that academics are not all what college is about! I'm not gonna lie; a strong GPA will definitely get your foot in the door for pharmacy schools, but it will be your extra-curriculars and skills you have learned from the REST of your college experience which will get the rest of you in.