freshman year anxieties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jwtaylor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
well...here it comes...freshman year...and im terrified. i was looking at my schedule for the coming years...and im just about pissing myself about freshman year...(kind of a light courseload) but as the semesters go on my number of classes increase and the complexity increases (the latter is relatively obvious)...im really nervous that i'll flop...i know that i should just take it easy and enjoy my time at college...but it worries me to no end...im particularly concerned about 3rd year....i have majorly tough classes and not to mention the M-bomb....(mcat)....can i handle all of this? i feel like the rest of my life relies on how i do right now....any words of advice on dealing with all of this? im a gifted kid that glided through high school with little to no studying...i have alot of adjusting to do and im worried ill never do it...HELP ME!

Members don't see this ad.

Do me a big favor......have a ****in drink. :thumbup:

It's good to have a light courseload your first semester. That way, you can sorta get a feel for how you study best, get to know the school, meet some people who will eventually end up in ALL your classes in the future, etc...And the schedule you plan now for the next 4 years probably won't follow through...things change all the time.

Don't worry about the MCAT now. Just focus on your classes and as you tackle each semester, the next one will seem manageable. I remember being a freshman in bio 101 classes and looking at the 500 level courses and couldn't even imagine taking them. It doesn't seem so bad now.

It's going to get easier (as in level of comfort) as you get adjusted. It will fly by...trust me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, first of all, none of us can reassure you to the extent that you want to be reassured. Will you do ok? Will you do great? None of us know. How you do as an undergrad is entirely up to you. IMO, undergrad really isnt that difficult, if you're willing to devote enough time/attention to your courses. I have always felt that the undergrad years should be spent aquiring knowlege WHILE having tremendous amounts of fun. They didn't make the movie Animal House for nothing - college is a great place to explore your values and beliefs, capabilities, drive, etc., as well as your propenisty to have fun. Dont get caught up in the pre-med bullsh*t, and have fun, whatever you do.

jwtaylor said:
well...here it comes...freshman year...and im terrified. i was looking at my schedule for the coming years...and im just about pissing myself about freshman year...(kind of a light courseload) but as the semesters go on my number of classes increase and the complexity increases (the latter is relatively obvious)...im really nervous that i'll flop...i know that i should just take it easy and enjoy my time at college...but it worries me to no end...im particularly concerned about 3rd year....i have majorly tough classes and not to mention the M-bomb....(mcat)....can i handle all of this? i feel like the rest of my life relies on how i do right now....any words of advice on dealing with all of this? im a gifted kid that glided through high school with little to no studying...i have alot of adjusting to do and im worried ill never do it...HELP ME!

It's normal to be nervous before starting college. Your first year will be challenging and fun.

Just chill. Take the time to enjoy being a freshman. Believe me, you'll miss it later on.

Had some major freshman jitters myself back in 1992. Finally went for counseling to find out where the anxiety was coming from (not considering med school at the time). Got things figured out, confidence went through the roof and never got less than a 4.0 after (in engineering).

My problem was not being prepared for college (goofed off all through HS), but wanting to fulfill some unrealisic expectations right off the bat. See a counselor before things get out of hand..... you already sound unreasonably stressed.

I too was one who cruised through HS with no studying.

This is the reason why I didn't do as well as I liked in general chem.

Heed this warning: Find out how you learn best and develop some good study habits. If you can do this then you will be fine.

Make good grades first and have fun second or third.
It is very easy for those of us who made it to medical school to say "Oh have fun and take it easy" because we wish we had had more fun. But we say that under the banket of security of being accepted already (or for those replying to your post who have not applied, they reply under the blanket of blind optimism of their chances). If we were rejected applicants we would be kicking ourselves for not working hard enough. The fact is, only about 1/10 people who start out premed make it into med school. not because it is some terribly hard goal, but beacuse people dont take it seriously untill their gpa is shot to hell and its too late.

You need to get pumped up and tell yourself you are going to kick colleges A$$. KICK ITS A$$!

Dont make B's. Make A's. Dont have too much fun for 2-3 year and then spend the rest of your life collecting interesting shells as a marine bologist because you didnt make it into med school. Wishing you had had more fun in college is a luxury of those who meet their proffesional goals in college. But we can still go on to have more fun later.
The 9/10 people who didnt meet their goal have a whole lifetime ahead of them to reget their college years. Dont be that 9/10.

Another thing....the vast majority dont make it into med school...this is a fact. So dont take advice from your freshman peers who dont know a darn thing. Because following their advice is taking their path, and most of your peers paths end where you dont want to be. Think for yourself, decide for yourself how to study and how much you should care about school.

thank you all so much for your help, this really helped, it was just what i needed to hear.....thanks! :)

The fact is said:
According to UT Austin, it's more like 1/400 or something rediculous like that. Maybe 1/10 who are still premed as juniors?

Fermata said:
I too was one who cruised through HS with no studying.

This is the reason why I didn't do as well as I liked in general chem.

Heed this warning: Find out how you learn best and develop some good study habits. If you can do this then you will be fine.

Yeah I heard that! I didn't study for a single test in HS...half the time I didn't even know their was a test that day, but still got A's in nearly every class. 1st semester college was a big adjustment, I realized that in some of my classes our grade was based on 2-3 tests, a final, and not much else...so these tests were a big deal. You just don't take a test in college without studying for it. I also realized that I had no idea how to study/take notes etc b/c I never needed to in HS. So, most of my 1st semester was spent learning how to study....it was a little rough, and I got a 3.5, but every semester after that I got a 3.8-4.0 thanks to my newfound study skillz.

So learn how to study, have fun (but not TOO much fun), and don't stress about 'hard' classes down the road...by the time you take them you'll be wondering how you ever thought gen chem was tough.

Also, remember that studying/test taking is more of a skill than an effort (though you must be willing to put in the effort). While most of my classmates founds things more challenging as the yrs went on, I found it to be easier because of my outlook and how it learned.

Members don't see this ad :)
jwtaylor said:

Drop out now while there's still time!!!

Or...just work hard, keep focused on your goal, and try to have some fun so you don't go completely insane. Also, don't worry too much about your freshman year--mine was about the worst imaginable but I toughed it out and the rest of college was great. Believe in yourself.

Amicus said:
It is very easy for those of us who made it to medical school to say "Oh have fun and take it easy" because we wish we had had more fun. But we say that under the banket of security of being accepted already (or for those replying to your post who have not applied, they reply under the blanket of blind optimism of their chances). If we were rejected applicants we would be kicking ourselves for not working hard enough. The fact is, only about 1/10 people who start out premed make it into med school. not because it is some terribly hard goal, but beacuse people dont take it seriously untill their gpa is shot to hell and its too late.

You need to get pumped up and tell yourself you are going to kick colleges A$$. KICK ITS A$$!

Dont make B's. Make A's. Dont have too much fun for 2-3 year and then spend the rest of your life collecting interesting shells as a marine bologist because you didnt make it into med school. Wishing you had had more fun in college is a luxury of those who meet their proffesional goals in college. But we can still go on to have more fun later.
The 9/10 people who didnt meet their goal have a whole lifetime ahead of them to reget their college years. Dont be that 9/10.

Another thing....the vast majority dont make it into med school...this is a fact. So dont take advice from your freshman peers who dont know a darn thing. Because following their advice is taking their path, and most of your peers paths end where you dont want to be. Think for yourself, decide for yourself how to study and how much you should care about school.

VERY WELL SAID! I would've explained it the exact same way.

By ALL means, put your grades first. Starting out with a good GPA, esp. in science classes, is the best thing you can do for yourself as a pre-med. It will help to make everything else fall into place. Really focus on learning the material in your pre-reqs because that will make studying for your MCAT a lot easier too.

I'll put it like this.... I fell in the typical category throughout college. I did average to mediocre in my science classes my first two years, and then rocked all my classes for the last two years.... I'm still on my way to do my masters to revive my chances of getting into medical school. If you have any intention of getting into medical school directly after undergrad, it is vital that you pay attention to this stuff now.

At the same time, you seem really stressed. TAKE IT EASY! It's really not that bad... the best thing you can do is constantly remind yourself of your goals, accomplish them by working hard/sacrificing time, and then just kicking back and experiencing life. Stay focused because there will be a lot of other Freshman boneheads running around in the dorms that are gonna make you think its okay to *uck up your grades.

Amicus said:

Very well said. A bit harsh but a good motivating speech thing. And you prolly could use that saying for many things "following their advice is taking their path." Good job :thumbup:

Amicus said:

Excellent advice. :thumbup:

Get involved in student groups early -- it'll give you a good release from studying and help fill out your application at the same time.

I have to agree with the earlier posts that mentioned placing grades as your highest priority. I also agree with the importance of ECs to function as a release. It's great to be involved in community service, research, and study groups. But I want to STRESS that you should find at least something that you do only for your own satisfaction. In other words, do something for FUN. Join a fraternity, get involved in IM or club sports. If you like music, join a choir or band. Just do something for yourself. Something that you do in which you don't have any concern for putting it down on your application. Therefore, it will remain genuine.

Wow, you're getting me stressed out just reading your post. It's all about making schedules and breaking things up in baby steps. Try not to think about everything all at once because that would freak anyone out.

just focus on whatever step is next and dont think about the big picture. thats what i did as an undergraduate. just focus on the next test etc. before you know it youll be in medical school. good luck.

jwtaylor said:

you've planned out your semester already? What are you majoring in?

im going to be majoring in psychology, with a concentration in neuroscience, im fascinated with the brain...and wanna get into neurology...but i also like the psychological side of things...so i thought id soak it all in and see what happens..i wanna get a broad understanding of the mind.

you'll get a broad understanding of sorority girl a$$ in psych :D :thumbup:

velocypedalist said:
you'll get a broad understanding of sorority girl a$$ in psych :D :thumbup:

im going to be a freshman too. im looking forward to a$$ in dance 101. but on a serious note... would med schools be like wtf this kid doing in dance 101. i just wanna try it, have some fun, and meet some girls. itd be a dick if i got rejected for taking a slacker load.

jwtaylor said:
im going to be majoring in psychology, with a concentration in neuroscience, im fascinated with the brain...and wanna get into neurology...but i also like the psychological side of things...so i thought id soak it all in and see what happens..i wanna get a broad understanding of the mind.

hey what college are you attending? Do they have neuroscience as a major?

I'm a freshmen too. I will be majoring in neuroscience, and hopefully minoring in Psychology and Cellular and Molecular Biology

stifler said:
im going to be a freshman too. im looking forward to a$$ in dance 101. but on a serious note... would med schools be like wtf this kid doing in dance 101. i just wanna try it, have some fun, and meet some girls. itd be a dick if i got rejected for taking a slacker load.

Be prepared to drop this class. I've heard art classes have goofy grading systems and make you work hard for an A. Plus the girls might think you're gay -- a high percentage of men in theatre really are.

A previous poster was right; Psych and Bio are both excellent courses for finding hotties.

Also, make friends with guys in social frats, so you can get invited to their parties without having to pay $400 in dues every semester.