VCU Undergrad Fall Freshman Year Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jst222

Reaction score
Looking for advice on what classes to take for premed in my first semester at VCU. My major is premedical laboratory sciences. Right now, I have:
Chem 101 Gen Chem 1
Chez 101 Lab Gen Chem 1
ENGL 250 Reading Film
Math 151 (Precalc) or Math 200 (Calc Analytic Geometry)
Univ 111 University Requirement
Univ 191 University Requirement

This puts me at 18 credit hours, and the only class not following my major's curriculum is ENGL 250. Im also trying to schedule my classes to have Friday open for EMT shifts. Thoughts on what I should change or add? Im also trying not to have an extreme first semester, but I want to get the ball rolling.

Members don't see this ad.

Looking for advice on what classes to take for premed in my first semester at VCU. My major is premedical laboratory sciences. Right now, I have:
Chem 101 Gen Chem 1
Chez 101 Lab Gen Chem 1
ENGL 250 Reading Film
Math 151 (Precalc) or Math 200 (Calc Analytic Geometry)
Univ 111 University Requirement
Univ 191 University Requirement

This puts me at 18 credit hours, and the only class not following my major's curriculum is ENGL 250. Im also trying to schedule my classes to have Friday open for EMT shifts. Thoughts on what I should change or add? Im also trying not to have an extreme first semester, but I want to get the ball rolling.
You have talked with academic advising and the preheslth office, right? They should have insight about your schedule.

You have talked with academic advising and the preheslth office, right? They should have insight about your schedule.
To be entirely honest I'm still in the process of finding where to contact my advisor. I figured I would get some outside ideas here while I worked on that.

Members don't see this ad :)
To be entirely honest I'm still in the process of finding where to contact my advisor. I figured I would get some outside ideas here while I worked on that.
Your orientation will help with that, depending on what department you join. The prehealth office though should have a website with a contact form or information. Be patient.

Reactions: 1 user
Check your academic bulletin and see if they have something called a "major map", which should line out what classes people typically take and when in your major. Similarly, also check your pre-professional advising office and see if they have a recommended timeline of when to take the pre-med prerequisites. I would caution you about the Friday EMT shifts immediately as your start your freshman year- college is a whole different ballgame, and your GPA here matters as it's much easier to maintain a good GPA than fix a bad one. At least take a little bit of time to figure out what you need to do to succeed, especially with that many credit hours, and then start adding stuff on as you figure out what you can handle without anything falling. Don't underestimate the times you will want to have fun and blow off some steam with your friends..it is college after all, and it's important not to be all work and no play.

Reactions: 1 user
Seems a little light but that is a good thing for 1st semester. Your grades 1st semester set the tone so to speak