Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Freshmen Year NIGHTMARES!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Mr.Patel, May 18, 2008.

1. Mr.Patel

Mr.Patel Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey everyone. I just completed my freshmen year in my state university. Currently I am a Pre Med/Dental (Shadowing both to decide what I really like---but that is besides the point).

I had a terrible start to my college life. First Semester I failed a course and my GPA with the failed course for the first semester was 1.8333. For the second semester My GPA was 3.45. Both combined my GPA comes out to about an overall of 2.6.

However My University completely replaces grades if you retake the failed course. I retook the course and got an A in it. With the replaced course, my overall GPA comes to 3.05. I am not sure whether Medical/Dental Schools (asking Pre Dental students!) will look at the replaced GPA or the old one. My university gets rid of the old grade completly and puts an R in front of it (R = replaced). I know this is a bad start, but is there still good hope for me ?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Blarelli

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    There is always hope (unless you keep going like you have been). Start acting like a pre-med or pre-dental, work your butt off, keep your GPA close to a 4.0 and by the time you apply, your cumulative should be up to about a 3.5.

4. jackbauer!

jackbauer! Guest

Dental Student
    When you apply, the application service (AADSAS) will notice the "R" and average the 2 grades. In your case, they will average the F and the A. In other words, it's like you earned a C in that course.

jb!:)

5. sl2obel2ts

sl2obel2ts i like tomatoes
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    hey there. I started with 6 units of F and 6 units of C (community college during highschool). That is 1.0 GPA. I brought it up to 3.4 overall. If I can do it, you can do it.

6. doc3232

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    They will look at both, like others said, they average the scores. If your transcript actually "replaced" grades with new ones, then you wouldn't be seeing an R there.

Anyway, a 2.6 first year is not a problem at all. Getting 4.0s the next 2 years puts you at about 3.53ish assuming you don't retake your classes. If you start retaking you will get up to a solid 3.6-3.7.

7. rkamsterdam

rkamsterdam Old Member
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    It all depends on what grade is on the official transcript (and I dont mean on the schools webserver, go to your registrar and ask to see a copy of your official transcript to see in first person) I think most schools keep the F on the transcript, but for the school's GPA calculation they will disregard the F. Unfortunately for you aadsas will not and it will heavily weigh down your gpa.

If indeed the F in replaced on the official transcipt with an R, then I think aadsas would treat this as a withdrawal since they have no way to determine what the original grade was. <--best case scenario.

Either way, you've only completed 1/4 of your total classload. A subpar gpa now can easily be raised to a competitive gpa by application time. However, you're really gonna have to change your ways because another F, D, or a few C's down the road is going to completely ruin your chance of achieving your dreams. I dont mean to be harsh, but you really may need a wake up call.

8. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    It's not how the school handles the grades it's how AADSAS handles the grades that dental schools will go by. Mr. Patel just make sure you focus on your studies. People will cut you some slack if you do well from now on. A lot of people have a rough transition to college. There are people who have stumbled along the way but have gotten into dental school. Don't put yourself in a position where you have to do post bacc work.