friction problem

Started by FRANK1985
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FRANK1985

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, help needed, here goes

A meteor with a mass = 1Kg moving at 20km/s collides with jupiter's atmosphere. the meteor penetrates 100 km into the atmosphere and dsintegrates. What is the average force on the meteor once it enters Jupiter's atmosphere (ignore gravity)?

a) 2*10^3 N
b) 4*10^3 N
c) 8*10^3 N
d) 2*10^5 N

thank you
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey I know this was posted a while back, but I am hoping someone can clarify this problem a little for me. I thought that you would use the equation Fdcos(theta) and cos of 0 is just one so then I thought this was set to equal the change in kinetic energy plus the change in potential energy so it would be F*d = delta K + delta U....how come above you just did F*d = delta K...where did the change of potential energy go?

thanks!
 
hey I know this was posted a while back, but I am hoping someone can clarify this problem a little for me. I thought that you would use the equation Fdcos(theta) and cos of 0 is just one so then I thought this was set to equal the change in kinetic energy plus the change in potential energy so it would be F*d = delta K + delta U....how come above you just did F*d = delta K...where did the change of potential energy go?

thanks!

the question says to ignore gravitational force 😉