friction problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FRANK1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, help needed, here goes

A meteor with a mass = 1Kg moving at 20km/s collides with jupiter's atmosphere. the meteor penetrates 100 km into the atmosphere and dsintegrates. What is the average force on the meteor once it enters Jupiter's atmosphere (ignore gravity)?

a) 2*10^3 N
b) 4*10^3 N
c) 8*10^3 N
d) 2*10^5 N

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

that's correct, But i don't get it

1/2mv^2= F*d
1/2 * 1 * (20)^2 = F * 100km

200 = F* 100km
F= 200/100
F= 2N

what am I doing wrong????

Members don't see this ad :)
hey I know this was posted a while back, but I am hoping someone can clarify this problem a little for me. I thought that you would use the equation Fdcos(theta) and cos of 0 is just one so then I thought this was set to equal the change in kinetic energy plus the change in potential energy so it would be F*d = delta K + delta U....how come above you just did F*d = delta K...where did the change of potential energy go?

thanks!

hey I know this was posted a while back, but I am hoping someone can clarify this problem a little for me. I thought that you would use the equation Fdcos(theta) and cos of 0 is just one so then I thought this was set to equal the change in kinetic energy plus the change in potential energy so it would be F*d = delta K + delta U....how come above you just did F*d = delta K...where did the change of potential energy go?

thanks!

the question says to ignore gravitational force ;)