SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Friday thread

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by PSYDR, Jun 17, 2016.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. ClinicalABA

ClinicalABA 5+ Year Member

Aug 31, 2011
    New England
    Psychologist
    Sliced beef, horseradish, on a kimmelweck bun (carroway and salty). Nothing fancy, just a really good sandwich

Therapist4Chnge likes this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Jegg

Jegg I don't know, it must have been the roses Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Here and There
    Sounds like you have a potential t-shirt or meme. Not my president; not my steak!

4. PsychPhDStudent

PsychPhDStudent 7+ Year Member

Sep 5, 2009
    I'm on vacation!!

Can an east coaster please ship me some proper pastrami? I can get a good steak no problem...

5. Ceke2002

Ceke2002 Purveyor of Strange 7+ Year Member

Sep 26, 2009
    South Australia
    I've just realised that now I'm officially enrolled in University I have access to Psychology Journals from the APA through the Uni's library system. I am beyond stoked, all those wonderful articles I can now read without having to pay subscription fees. :soexcited:

Fan_of_Meehl and theSteppenwolf like this.
  6. CheetahGirl

CheetahGirl Clinical Psychologist 10+ Year Member

Feb 15, 2007
    formerly from Atlanta, GA
    It's not Friday today...but this past Friday night, I was making my sign for the Women's March in NYC, which I peacefully joined with ~400,000 (last read estimates).

What an amazing experience, and I'm proud to be part of unprecedented U.S. history. I could now be called "Cheetah Girl, the political activist." :cat:

This Friday and Saturday will be much more subdued.

7. rerope

rerope 5+ Year Member

My wisdom teeth are still growing in (I'm 25 O.0) and woke me up so I guess I'm just gonna stay up and watch JonTron/Dorkly videos.

Seriously though wth? And worse yet I think its an extra tooth. Hopefully it doesn't need to be removed. Can't afford to go to interviews looking like a bee stung chipmunk.

8. PSYDR

PSYDR Psychologist 10+ Year Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Pro tip: the ice packs they give you with wisdom teeth surgery stretch out quickly. Bras hold the ice packs better...Size dependent

9. rerope

rerope 5+ Year Member

XD Thanks that gave me a needed laugh but I'll keep that in mind. I really hope I don't need surgery at all. I've never had any teeth issues (not even cavities) so to go from occasional cleaning to getting a tooth pulled would be awful

10. MamaPhD

MamaPhD Psychologist, Academic Medical Center 7+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Psychologist
    My wisdom teeth gave me sore gums in my early 20s but things settled down over time, and I still have them all. But if you think you might have a gum infection, get that looked at ASAP because that would be a lot more miserable than a swollen face on interviews.

11. WisNeuro

WisNeuro Board Certified Neuropsychologist 7+ Year Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Somewhere
    Psychologist
    Meh, sore teeth is nothing on internship interviews. I did all of mine with a ruptured disc. :)

12. Justanothergrad

Justanothergrad Counseling Psychologist 2+ Year Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Psychologist
    Faculty
    Ugh Wisdom Teeth. I was 'lucky' and got to have 8 of those suckers. That brings back memories.

13. rerope

rerope 5+ Year Member

Hey lets not start a measuring contest! But good lord I'm sure the sites would've given you some leeway with a ruptured disk.

14. rerope

rerope 5+ Year Member

I don't think its an infection, just aching that subsides when I chew something (god teething at this age is so undignified but it gave my boss a laugh at least). I'll check in with a dentist friend as soon as interviews are done but I really just think its because the gum is pulling away from the tooth, the other 4 felt similar and then calmed down. As long as it doesn't start cutting a rug and come in sideways or something I want to keep it.

15. WisNeuro

Feb 15, 2009
    Somewhere
    Psychologist
    I had already made all of the travel arrangements and the schedule was pretty tight. Just had to balance the hydrocodone on non-interview days, and high dose ibuprofen on interview days.

16. CheetahGirl

Feb 15, 2007
    I had my wisdom teeth removed at 19yo. I remember I fell in love with my dentist under those meds ~ his eyes were so dreamy. Good luck, @rerope .

I thought I was going to chill this weekend, but I am going to parties and dancing both Friday and Saturday nights...for my mental health and wellness.

And I plan to build a Lego city during the day with my kids (in addition to their basketball games), and will continue a literature review to prepare for a solid day of research on Monday.
    Yippee! Have a great weekend everyone! :biglove:

17. biscuitsbiscuits

biscuitsbiscuits 2+ Year Member

Oct 27, 2015
    buying an interview suit today(!)

18. rerope

rerope 5+ Year Member

Haha thanks and I hope I don't fall in love with my dentist if I go under. He's married to my bestfriend!

Oh I love legos! Just visiting the brick and mortar stores make me giddy. Though I'm afraid to bring them in the house because our cats will runoff with and/or eat them (mischievous little beasties!)

Therapist4Chnge and CheetahGirl like this.
  19. rerope

rerope 5+ Year Member

Making homemade philly cheesesteaks and chocolate chunk chip cookies for the SO. Seriously, what is he going to do when I leave for grad school!? That fast food bachelors diet won't do his waistline any favours now that he's pushing his 30's XD Then again neither are my cookies... >.>

20. PSYDR

Dec 18, 2005
    Just learned that mid year INS is in Capetown. Very excited.

21. AcronymAllergy

AcronymAllergy Neuropsychologist SDN Moderator 7+ Year Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Psychologist
    Wish I could make it to mid-year INS at some point. Don't anticipate it happening anytime soon, though, sadly. Wasn't it in Buenos Aires a few years back...?

RE: wisdom teeth, mine are all partially or entirely impacted, but haven't given me much trouble. Until they do, I'll probably opt to keep them in.

22. WisNeuro

Feb 15, 2009
    Somewhere
    Psychologist
    Ah, someday when I have higher levels of guaranteed conference funding.

23. Ceke2002

Ceke2002 Purveyor of Strange 7+ Year Member

Sep 26, 2009
    South Australia
    I start studies in 10 days time, they've only just told us what text book and software package we need for the course, and both items are out of stock in the uni book store. Yeah good onya. :rolleyes:
    (Thankfully I've tracked down an alternative source of purchase).

24. WisNeuro

Feb 15, 2009
    Somewhere
    Psychologist
    Rock climbing tonight, may try out a new German beer hall in town tomorrow, and then maybe taxes on Sunday. What's everyone else up to?

25. smalltownpsych

smalltownpsych 2+ Year Member

Last ski trip of the year!
    (and not thinking about taxes ;))

26. MamaPhD

MamaPhD Psychologist, Academic Medical Center 7+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Psychologist
    Done with taxes, just need to do a quick review and hit "send." Finalizing slides for a presentation I'm giving in early March. Yard work. Reviewing a pile of manuscripts.

Well. This is starting to sound not very fun.

27. ItsNotMe_ItsYou

ItsNotMe_ItsYou 2+ Year Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Organized EPPP study materials, ordered some office supplies to make studying for bearable, and it's almost time for a movie.

28. WisNeuro

Feb 15, 2009
    Somewhere
    Psychologist
    I just read an article on the reliability of washing machines. Anyone else feeling both old and bored today?

29. MiniLop

MiniLop 5+ Year Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I hear ya. Yesterday I was looking at articles on their test-retest reliability. Turns out very little work has been done to establish the psychometric properties of washing machines, which is frankly quite worrying.

ilovedance1 likes this.
  30. smalltownpsych

smalltownpsych 2+ Year Member

Does anybody have access to the population norms for washiing machines? I'm not sure how to interpret my results.

MiniLop likes this.
  31. CheetahGirl

Feb 15, 2007
    I currently have a LARGE sample size, so we could definitely run a power analysis through the spin cycle to determine effect size, accuracy of results, and generalizability. Let me know if anyone would like to come over and help. Looking for assistants.

32. rerope

rerope 5+ Year Member

Paid or volunteer? ^-^

On an unrelated note, had a girls night/sleepover with my besties from college. Cooked, did nails and face masks while Hot Fuzz :laugh: played in the background. Only thing missing was wine but definitely a well needed self-care session after grad school interviews.

CheetahGirl and Therapist4Chnge like this.
  33. CheetahGirl

Feb 15, 2007
    Volunteer...no funding secured yet for this laundry protocol; it is only a pilot study at my house. Still trying to figure it all out. (And my co-investigators, i.e., the kids, try something clean on...while not even wearing it, and then throw that item directly in the hamper!) Adherence is not up to par, yet; but, so glad I did that random check.

ilovedance1 and soccercat like this.
  34. Pragma

Pragma Neuropsychologist 5+ Year Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Psychologist
  35. Pragma

Pragma Neuropsychologist 5+ Year Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Psychologist
    Plans this weekend = none. I love it.

theSteppenwolf likes this.
  36. WisNeuro

Feb 15, 2009
    Somewhere
    Psychologist
    May get a game or two of Twilight Struggle in with a buddy, otherwise, no plans.

37. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Oct 6, 2006
    The Beach
    Faculty
    Doing a Sportsball game tonight, Sat night out w friends, and veg out on Sun and do brunch. Laundry should be in there somewhere, begrudingly.

38. calimich

calimich Assistant Professor 2+ Year Member

Nov 22, 2013
    California
    Psychologist
    Faculty
    Midterms!

39. PSYDR

Dec 18, 2005
    Packing up. Going to a tropical island for a week.

CheetahGirl and MamaPhD like this.
  40. Throwawayaccount

Throwawayaccount

Mar 5, 2017
    Trying not to vomit. All of the naps. Oh my god two days of glorious naps.

aly cat likes this.
  41. CheetahGirl

Feb 15, 2007
    Going to Trainspotting 2 tonight in Times Square with the Spouse, and our favorite restaurant in Hell's Kitchen (Midtown Manhattan) for date night.

It's been a tough 'clinical-researchy' week for me...one of those off-weeks that lead to something greater in future weeks. (sigh.)

I love date night.

42. researchgirl

researchgirl 7+ Year Member

Feb 6, 2009
    always looking for a manhattan restaurant recommendation...

43. theSteppenwolf

theSteppenwolf 7+ Year Member

Jul 11, 2008
    Southwest
    Coming to the close of my masters program (e.g., comps, papers, finals) and prepping for internship over the summer. My wife and I are expecting our first child a week before finals on May 5th (yay!!! and what?!?!). And looking for a place to live for the PhD program I start in the fall. This weekend may be the last chance I have to get any relaxation at all. I think I may imbibe some adult beverages.

44. CheetahGirl

Feb 15, 2007
    Afghan Kebob House on 9th Ave (btwn W 51st and 52nd)...like no other kebob house. The owner is lovely. There are also like 3 Yum Yum Bangkoks further down (about 44th) that are so good (all owned by same people). Go to Yum Yum for early bird/theatre special (<$). Gosh, and there's Uncle Nick's (Greek Taverna) across the street from Afghan Kebob - we always get the Saganaki - flaming cheese. So good!

Lived in that neighborhood for 5-years, and these spots are now comfort food. :)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    rerope and researchgirl like this.
  45. WisNeuro

Feb 15, 2009
    Somewhere
    Psychologist
    So....Close....to the end of the day.

Also, thinking that SDN needs a Squelch Knob, But instead of just suppressing inadequate audio signal, it suppresses inadequate logic signal. Mods? Can we get that added?

46. erg923

erg923 Psychologist-Health Insurance Operations 10+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2007
    On call for Psych ED (voluntary) for some extra dough for the Disney Cruise in June! Off to the Masters Tournament mid-week. Life is grand...if everyone just stays home and stays sane tonight.

47. rerope

rerope 5+ Year Member

Yuca Bar in the east village is also really really good (particularly the yucca burger, yucca fries, and salmon areppas!)

Also jfc, had to choose between two great programs (one clinical and the other counseling; both great fits, fully funded with stipend in big cities) and it was the hardest thing ever. Either choice I went with I'd still wonder in some small place at back of my mind 'what would it be like to attend the other?'.

48. erg923

Apr 6, 2007
    Partake and party. And then sleep and binge watch Netflix in late April...

49. PsychPhDStudent

PsychPhDStudent 7+ Year Member

Sep 5, 2009
    I misread this and thought you might be staffing the psych er on a Disney cruise ship.

50. WisNeuro

Feb 15, 2009
    Somewhere
    Psychologist
    That sounds like my personal hell

MamaPhD and PsychPhDStudent like this.
  51. erg923

Apr 6, 2007
    This could potentially be better, or potentially alot more ****ed up than a typical VAMC ER. You chose.