Friday thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyDr

Psychologist
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's easier to hijack when it's marked.

Members don't see this ad.

haha, fair enough.

So far I've cleaned off my desk and updated my out-pt list (trying to plan a vacation later this fall and I need to pick a couple weeks ASAP) instead of finishing this report and doing billing before I call it a day. I just re-started and got STAT page'd…nary a week I don't get paged after 3pm with something that probably could have been addressed earlier and no one told me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I took the day off.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One more patient hour to go. Marital therapy at the end of the week. You've got to be kidding me. :dead: I have an hour and a half till then. Maybe I should go do something constructive that will generate some revenue. but after hearing erg has the day off, I'm feeling even less motivated. :depressed:

Revenue has been generated for this week (at 160% required productivity, thank you,) I think I've earned a nice cocktail/beer with my wife this evening, then out fly fishing bright and early tomorrow morning. Those trout ain't gonna catch themselves.

Happy Father's Day to all it applies to.

Took three paid days off this week. Saw three clients. Meetings and long lunches filled the rest of my time. Shooting competition tomorrow morning and hitting the beach all day Sunday.

Life is good.

I'm taking the husband and kids to the Mermaid Parade in Coney Island tomorrow (should actually be called the Mermaid, Merbabies, and Mermen Parade). Non-judemental stance, folks. It's a lot of fun, actually.

I also had the day off (I actually have every Friday off until formal Fellowship starts). :cool: Wish I could negotiate that after training, with a full-time AMC/VA job.

Happy Father's Day, Dads!

I'm taking the husband and kids to the Mermaid Parade in Coney Island tomorrow (should actually be called the Mermaid, Merbabies, and Mermen Parade). Non-judemental stance, folks. It's a lot of fun, actually.

I also had the day off (I actually have every Friday off until formal Fellowship starts). :cool: Wish I could negotiate that after training, with a full-time AMC/VA job.

Reactions: 1 users

Pragma!!!!! I love this!

And forgot about Zoolander. I kept hearing..."not a Mermaid. A Merman, a Merman!"...in my head, in his voice but forgot where it came from. I saw a movie with Christopher Walken as a coal mine worker recently, and I couldn't help but laugh (although it was a serious film). I will make sure to show kids before we head out so they can remember it too!

I love it when they show me their Blue Steel look.
Blue Steel.jpg

Thank you.

Edit: Just showed to them. Now, we're stuck watching the Wham clip where his modeling buddies sing and dance around with gasoline. Goodness.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Cool mom points!

Members don't see this ad :)
Pragma!!!!! I love this!

And forgot about Zoolander. I kept hearing..."not a Mermaid. A Merman, a Merman!"...in my head, in his voice but forgot where it came from. I saw a movie with Christopher Walken as a coal mine worker recently, and I couldn't help but laugh (although it was a serious film). I will make sure to show kids before we head out so they can remember it too!

I love it when they show me their Blue Steel look.
View attachment 205197

Thank you.

Edit: Just showed to them. Now, we're stuck watching the Wham clip where his modeling buddies sing and dance around with gasoline. Goodness.

But why male models??

Man, I am glad that retirement is a ways off. That Brexit vote is putting a small hurting on my investments. June is going to finish rough.

Same. I just checked my portfolio a few days ago and was happy to see that I had crossed a milestone. No way am I looking at it again today.

Same. I just checked my portfolio a few days ago and was happy to see that I had crossed a milestone. No way am I looking at it again today.

I wouldn't look at it for a few weeks, at least. I've got some funds I had set aside for investment, may be a good time to add to some index funds on a lower buy in after an earlier run up this week.

The Brexodus is killing me, especially since the vote was based on less than 60% turnout....Oh, and the younger generation (who have to live with the decision longer) were in overwhelming support for no EU exit. As a Brit by birth, I'm like... :wtf:

Now, I fear for our nation in November. But I will not comment further on politics on SDN. Life is too short to get into a twitter battle, especially if you don't even have a twitter account.

Last edited:
Counting down the days until the Australian Federal election, so I'll finally know which bloody direction this country is going to go in terms of tertiary education fee reforms, and whether or not I can actually apply for an undergrad degree without saddling either myself, or my husband with a metric f**k tonne of debt.

:bang:

Two more sessions to go with the last one being the partner relational wars. :eek:

Couples work on a Friday afternoon….nopes. I'd want none of that. I usually get STAT consults on friday afternoon, but on the days that doesn't happen….*bliss*. It's just me, my office, some good music…and a stack of report writing.

Yard work; church fundraiser; new bed delivery; zoo

Couples work on a Friday afternoon….nopes. I'd want none of that. I usually get STAT consults on friday afternoon, but on the days that doesn't happen….*bliss*. It's just me, my office, some good music…and a stack of report writing.
It's almost like the last sprint for the finish line after running a mile. :dead:
Yard work; church fundraiser; new bed delivery; zoo
We are going to have to ban you from the Friday thread with this whole Friday off thing.
:slap:

Two more sessions to go with the last one being the partner relational wars. :eek:

Just think, it could be worse. I could be your patient, and you could get bombarded with overly enthusiastic questions like this...

(*ahem* yes this is an actual paraphrased conversation)

Me: (realising therapist has introduced a new therapy approach) Is this object relations? It looks similar to the object relation's stuff we were doing, but the terminology is a bit different.
Therapist/Psychiatrist: This is Cognitive Analytical Therapy.
Me: Oh cool, so how does this relate to Object Relations, what's the developmental history of this particular therapy, how does it relate to Freud, oh and can you explain the neurobiological underpinnings as well, please. :D
Therapist/Psychiatrist: (glances at clock) *blink!twitch* Um, well...o_O

Just think, it could be worse. I could be your patient, and you could get bombarded with overly enthusiastic questions like this...

(*ahem* yes this is an actual paraphrased conversation)

Me: (realising therapist has introduced a new therapy approach) Is this object relations? It looks similar to the object relation's stuff we were doing, but the terminology is a bit different.
Therapist/Psychiatrist: This is Cognitive Analytical Therapy.
Me: Oh cool, so how does this relate to Object Relations, what's the developmental history of this particular therapy, how does it relate to Freud, oh and can you explain the neurobiological underpinnings as well, please. :D
Therapist/Psychiatrist: (glances at clock) *blink!twitch* Um, well...o_O
Talking about what we are doing and educating is fun for me too and the only hard part is making sure that it is not an avoidance mechanism on both of our parts. I could fill my whole practice with enthusiastic motivated to learn patients. Right now I don't really have too many like that and that makes it much, much harder. This past week I was really feeling like no patient was open to anything that I had to offer. It was a tough week and I honestly can't think of one session where progress was made. Not saying this to feel sorry for myself, but rather just to let everyone know that sometimes no matter how good you are or how hard you try, it just doesn't seem to work. From experience, I know that next week will be different and that is what keeps me going. :)

Talking about what we are doing and educating is fun for me too and the only hard part is making sure that it is not an avoidance mechanism on both of our parts. I could fill my whole practice with enthusiastic motivated to learn patients. Right now I don't really have too many like that and that makes it much, much harder. This past week I was really feeling like no patient was open to anything that I had to offer. It was a tough week and I honestly can't think of one session where progress was made. Not saying this to feel sorry for myself, but rather just to let everyone know that sometimes no matter how good you are or how hard you try, it just doesn't seem to work. From experience, I know that next week will be different and that is what keeps me going. :)

Definitely fun (and dare I say enriching of the therapeutic alliance as well), but probably not so much when 'overly eager patient' here decides to bombard their therapist with a barrage of questions less than 10 minutes before the end of session, when you're just meant to be quickly reviewing something for next time. Oh god the look on my poor Psychiatrist's face. :laugh:

But I do totally get what you're saying, and I absolutely agree. Hope next week is a positive up turn for you, but if not sit back (or perch intensely, fielder's choice), and enjoy the challenge. :horns:

somehow I got roped into working 4 days this week. This "having a reasonable schedule" thing isn't without its charm.

Two no-shows, two reschedules, and trying to contain my mounting resentment toward my last consult of the day, whom I'm giving a >50% chance of not showing up.

I've started an epic summer road trip with the husband and kids (East coast ---> West coast).

National Lampoon's Vacation & Cousin Eddie won't have anything on us...

)'( or bust... (for any of you who know what that symbol is). :)

Have a good weekend...almost quittin' time!

My mini-baseball vacation to Baltimore was supposed to start yesterday afternoon, but Southwest imploded. Cancel flight Thursday, an extra early morning Friday, a lost Uber driver, 2+ hrs in line at the airport, and another cancellation....I made it to DC. I took the Metro to Union Station and now I'm on Amtrak up to Baltimore. I love my baseball weekends, but this has been a mess. O's v. Indians...so that should be fun.

Shipped one kid off for a week, kiddo number goes on Tuesday. Will spend this weekend planning what home improvement project we'll tackle when they're gone, as well as deciding which wine or cocktail will go best with said project. It's either going to be expanding the opening of the entryway closet and putting in accordion doors (with a good Malbec) or turning some old window frames into fence panels (with pisco sours).

Fixed a leaning trellis to my German pink tomato plant. It grew tall enough to lift its cage out of the ground and topple over. Will be keeping the seeds on this one. Wiped out a small basil plant but missed the mint, which is good because its still mint julep season, and I hate buying herbs.

Last consult showed up after all, so I'm feeling slightly more productive AND I'm still managing to leave early. Road trip time now! Have a great weekend, folks.

Safe travels to all around! Grateful for no scheduled trips for at least a month. You all make me feel lazy with your home improving and gardening. This weekend will be a victory if I even manage to change my underwear.

Anyone read anything good recently? Inspired by @ClinicalABA but less ambitious: anything that would pair nicely with a malbec or pisco sour?

Gah! Every time you guys say "pisco sour" my stomach turns. One night in Puno...

Almost done with 'A Little Life.' It's gutting me but if you're into that sort of thing then I recommend.

Safe travels to all around! Grateful for no scheduled trips for at least a month. You all make me feel lazy with your home improving and gardening. This weekend will be a victory if I even manage to change my underwear.

Anyone read anything good recently? Inspired by @ClinicalABA but less ambitious: anything that would pair nicely with a malbec or pisco sour?
Read "Seveneves" by Neal Stephenson and "Luna: New Moon" by Ian Macdonald while on vacation a few weeks backs. Stephenson was good speculative fiction- big book, but kept me reading. "Luna" was a good read (think "Game of Thrones" on the moon), but the ending was a total set up for a sequel. Just started Finders Keepers" by Steven King.

I caught a Rockies game, but didn't stay in town for APA…not really my scene.

I've been away from work all week, so sadly I'll probably get in a couple of half days of report writing. I don't mind doing it while watching baseball/golf.