SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Friday thread

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by PSYDR, Jun 17, 2016.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. PSYDR

PSYDR Psychologist 10+ Year Member

Dec 18, 2005
    It's easier to hijack when it's marked.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Oct 6, 2006
    The Beach
    Faculty
    haha, fair enough.

So far I've cleaned off my desk and updated my out-pt list (trying to plan a vacation later this fall and I need to pick a couple weeks ASAP) instead of finishing this report and doing billing before I call it a day. I just re-started and got STAT page'd…nary a week I don't get paged after 3pm with something that probably could have been addressed earlier and no one told me.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    smalltownpsych likes this.
  4. erg923

erg923 Psychologist-Health Insurance Operations 10+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2007
    I took the day off.

5. smalltownpsych

smalltownpsych 2+ Year Member

One more patient hour to go. Marital therapy at the end of the week. You've got to be kidding me. :dead: I have an hour and a half till then. Maybe I should go do something constructive that will generate some revenue. but after hearing erg has the day off, I'm feeling even less motivated. :depressed:

CheetahGirl likes this.
  6. ClinicalABA

ClinicalABA 5+ Year Member

Aug 31, 2011
    New England
    Psychologist
    Revenue has been generated for this week (at 160% required productivity, thank you,) I think I've earned a nice cocktail/beer with my wife this evening, then out fly fishing bright and early tomorrow morning. Those trout ain't gonna catch themselves.

Happy Father's Day to all it applies to.

7. Therapist4Chnge

Oct 6, 2006
    The Beach
    Faculty
    I have a 7:30am tee time tomorrow, though it's my second round this wk...so I'm sucking up the extra early start.

8. G Costanza

G Costanza Psychologist - UCC 5+ Year Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Took three paid days off this week. Saw three clients. Meetings and long lunches filled the rest of my time. Shooting competition tomorrow morning and hitting the beach all day Sunday.

Life is good.

Therapist4Chnge likes this.
  9. CheetahGirl

CheetahGirl Clinical Psychologist 10+ Year Member

Feb 15, 2007
    formerly from Atlanta, GA
    I'm taking the husband and kids to the Mermaid Parade in Coney Island tomorrow (should actually be called the Mermaid, Merbabies, and Mermen Parade). Non-judemental stance, folks. It's a lot of fun, actually.

I also had the day off (I actually have every Friday off until formal Fellowship starts). :cool: Wish I could negotiate that after training, with a full-time AMC/VA job.

Happy Father's Day, Dads!

10. AcronymAllergy

AcronymAllergy Neuropsychologist SDN Moderator 7+ Year Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Psychologist
    I like everything about this thread. Yes.

11. Pragma

Pragma Neuropsychologist 5+ Year Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Psychologist

bmedclinic and siamesekitten like this.
  12. CheetahGirl

Feb 15, 2007
    Pragma!!!!! I love this!

And forgot about Zoolander. I kept hearing..."not a Mermaid. A Merman, a Merman!"...in my head, in his voice but forgot where it came from. I saw a movie with Christopher Walken as a coal mine worker recently, and I couldn't help but laugh (although it was a serious film). I will make sure to show kids before we head out so they can remember it too!

I love it when they show me their Blue Steel look.
    Blue Steel.jpg

Thank you.

Edit: Just showed to them. Now, we're stuck watching the Wham clip where his modeling buddies sing and dance around with gasoline. Goodness.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  13. biscuitsbiscuits

biscuitsbiscuits 2+ Year Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Cool mom points!

CheetahGirl likes this.
  14. CheetahGirl

Feb 15, 2007
    Is it Friday yet?

President_LeslieKnope likes this.
  15. Justanothergrad

Justanothergrad Counseling Psychologist 2+ Year Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Psychologist
    Faculty
    Seeing this thread confused me so much...

It needs to be friday.

MamaPhD likes this.
  16. cara susanna

cara susanna 7+ Year Member

Feb 10, 2008
    East Coast
    But why male models??

17. WisNeuro

WisNeuro Board Certified Neuropsychologist 7+ Year Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Somewhere
    Psychologist
    Are you serious? I just told you that a moment ago.

Fun fact, that line was improvised. Stiller forgot his line and just repeated an earlier line, Duchovny ran with it.

bmedclinic likes this.
  18. PSYDR

Dec 18, 2005
    I start vacation at the end of today, so it's my Friday.

19. WisNeuro

Feb 15, 2009
    Somewhere
    Psychologist
    Man, I am glad that retirement is a ways off. That Brexit vote is putting a small hurting on my investments. June is going to finish rough.

20. MamaPhD

MamaPhD Psychologist, Academic Medical Center 7+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Psychologist
    Same. I just checked my portfolio a few days ago and was happy to see that I had crossed a milestone. No way am I looking at it again today.

21. WisNeuro

Feb 15, 2009
    Somewhere
    Psychologist
    I wouldn't look at it for a few weeks, at least. I've got some funds I had set aside for investment, may be a good time to add to some index funds on a lower buy in after an earlier run up this week.

MamaPhD likes this.
  22. CheetahGirl

Feb 15, 2007
    The Brexodus is killing me, especially since the vote was based on less than 60% turnout....Oh, and the younger generation (who have to live with the decision longer) were in overwhelming support for no EU exit. As a Brit by birth, I'm like... :wtf:

Now, I fear for our nation in November. But I will not comment further on politics on SDN. Life is too short to get into a twitter battle, especially if you don't even have a twitter account.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    bmedclinic and MamaPhD like this.
  23. Ceke2002

Ceke2002 Purveyor of Strange 7+ Year Member

Sep 26, 2009
    South Australia
    Counting down the days until the Australian Federal election, so I'll finally know which bloody direction this country is going to go in terms of tertiary education fee reforms, and whether or not I can actually apply for an undergrad degree without saddling either myself, or my husband with a metric f**k tonne of debt.

:bang:

24. Therapist4Chnge

Oct 6, 2006
    The Beach
    Faculty
    CG...it'll be 1-2+ Yr until significant changes occur. This wasn't a binding vote, so there is a loooooong way to go and compromise.

CheetahGirl likes this.
  25. Therapist4Chnge

Oct 6, 2006
    The Beach
    Faculty
    Report writing and listening to EDM. It's sunny out, but I'm in a groove....so more writing.

26. smalltownpsych

Two more sessions to go with the last one being the partner relational wars. :eek:

27. Therapist4Chnge

Oct 6, 2006
    The Beach
    Faculty
    Couples work on a Friday afternoon….nopes. I'd want none of that. I usually get STAT consults on friday afternoon, but on the days that doesn't happen….*bliss*. It's just me, my office, some good music…and a stack of report writing.

bmedclinic likes this.
  28. erg923

erg923 Psychologist-Health Insurance Operations 10+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Yard work; church fundraiser; new bed delivery; zoo

29. smalltownpsych

It's almost like the last sprint for the finish line after running a mile. :dead:
    We are going to have to ban you from the Friday thread with this whole Friday off thing.
    :slap:

Pragma likes this.
  30. WisNeuro

Feb 15, 2009
    Somewhere
    Psychologist
    That's an exciting day there, erg. Still gonna have time to make it to Wally and the Beave's little league games? ;)

31. PsychPhDStudent

PsychPhDStudent 7+ Year Member

Sep 5, 2009
    It's the weekend!!! Taking off the therapy pants!

32. CheetahGirl

Feb 15, 2007
    Check out fsedm.com - lots of excellent sets to download (for free!) there...everything from dubstep to deep house. I'm stuck on looping 193 for manuscript writing myself.

33. Ceke2002

Sep 26, 2009
    South Australia
    Just think, it could be worse. I could be your patient, and you could get bombarded with overly enthusiastic questions like this...

(*ahem* yes this is an actual paraphrased conversation)

Me: (realising therapist has introduced a new therapy approach) Is this object relations? It looks similar to the object relation's stuff we were doing, but the terminology is a bit different.
    Therapist/Psychiatrist: This is Cognitive Analytical Therapy.
    Me: Oh cool, so how does this relate to Object Relations, what's the developmental history of this particular therapy, how does it relate to Freud, oh and can you explain the neurobiological underpinnings as well, please. :D
    Therapist/Psychiatrist: (glances at clock) *blink!twitch* Um, well...o_O

34. smalltownpsych

Talking about what we are doing and educating is fun for me too and the only hard part is making sure that it is not an avoidance mechanism on both of our parts. I could fill my whole practice with enthusiastic motivated to learn patients. Right now I don't really have too many like that and that makes it much, much harder. This past week I was really feeling like no patient was open to anything that I had to offer. It was a tough week and I honestly can't think of one session where progress was made. Not saying this to feel sorry for myself, but rather just to let everyone know that sometimes no matter how good you are or how hard you try, it just doesn't seem to work. From experience, I know that next week will be different and that is what keeps me going. :)

Ceke2002 likes this.
  35. Ceke2002

Sep 26, 2009
    South Australia
    Definitely fun (and dare I say enriching of the therapeutic alliance as well), but probably not so much when 'overly eager patient' here decides to bombard their therapist with a barrage of questions less than 10 minutes before the end of session, when you're just meant to be quickly reviewing something for next time. Oh god the look on my poor Psychiatrist's face. :laugh:

But I do totally get what you're saying, and I absolutely agree. Hope next week is a positive up turn for you, but if not sit back (or perch intensely, fielder's choice), and enjoy the challenge. :horns:

smalltownpsych likes this.
  36. Therapist4Chnge

Oct 6, 2006
    The Beach
    Faculty
    In some instances progress may not be feasible, but holding off a decline/decompensation/injury/etc. is an acceptable outcome.

Ceke2002 and smalltownpsych like this.
  37. PSYDR

Dec 18, 2005
    Bump.

38. WisNeuro

Feb 15, 2009
    Somewhere
    Psychologist
    Just trying to get **** done so I can leave early and go camping.

39. PSYDR

Dec 18, 2005
    somehow I got roped into working 4 days this week. This "having a reasonable schedule" thing isn't without its charm.

40. MamaPhD

Aug 2, 2010
    Psychologist
    Two no-shows, two reschedules, and trying to contain my mounting resentment toward my last consult of the day, whom I'm giving a >50% chance of not showing up.

41. CheetahGirl

Feb 15, 2007
    I've started an epic summer road trip with the husband and kids (East coast ---> West coast).

National Lampoon's Vacation & Cousin Eddie won't have anything on us...

)'( or bust... (for any of you who know what that symbol is). :)

Have a good weekend...almost quittin' time!

ClinicalABA and Therapist4Chnge like this.
  42. Therapist4Chnge

Oct 6, 2006
    The Beach
    Faculty
    My mini-baseball vacation to Baltimore was supposed to start yesterday afternoon, but Southwest imploded. Cancel flight Thursday, an extra early morning Friday, a lost Uber driver, 2+ hrs in line at the airport, and another cancellation....I made it to DC. I took the Metro to Union Station and now I'm on Amtrak up to Baltimore. I love my baseball weekends, but this has been a mess. O's v. Indians...so that should be fun.

43. ClinicalABA

Aug 31, 2011
    New England
    Psychologist
    Shipped one kid off for a week, kiddo number goes on Tuesday. Will spend this weekend planning what home improvement project we'll tackle when they're gone, as well as deciding which wine or cocktail will go best with said project. It's either going to be expanding the opening of the entryway closet and putting in accordion doors (with a good Malbec) or turning some old window frames into fence panels (with pisco sours).

Therapist4Chnge and CheetahGirl like this.
  44. CheetahGirl

Feb 15, 2007
    T4C - I literally just passed your train (I95 South)...what a small world, after all. ;)

45. IT514

IT514 Neuropsychologist 10+ Year Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Fixed a leaning trellis to my German pink tomato plant. It grew tall enough to lift its cage out of the ground and topple over. Will be keeping the seeds on this one. Wiped out a small basil plant but missed the mint, which is good because its still mint julep season, and I hate buying herbs.

CheetahGirl likes this.
  46. MamaPhD

Aug 2, 2010
    Psychologist
    Last consult showed up after all, so I'm feeling slightly more productive AND I'm still managing to leave early. Road trip time now! Have a great weekend, folks.

47. PsychPhDStudent

PsychPhDStudent 7+ Year Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Safe travels to all around! Grateful for no scheduled trips for at least a month. You all make me feel lazy with your home improving and gardening. This weekend will be a victory if I even manage to change my underwear.

Anyone read anything good recently? Inspired by @ClinicalABA but less ambitious: anything that would pair nicely with a malbec or pisco sour?

48. biscuitsbiscuits

biscuitsbiscuits 2+ Year Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Gah! Every time you guys say "pisco sour" my stomach turns. One night in Puno...

Almost done with 'A Little Life.' It's gutting me but if you're into that sort of thing then I recommend.

49. ClinicalABA

Aug 31, 2011
    New England
    Psychologist
    Read "Seveneves" by Neal Stephenson and "Luna: New Moon" by Ian Macdonald while on vacation a few weeks backs. Stephenson was good speculative fiction- big book, but kept me reading. "Luna" was a good read (think "Game of Thrones" on the moon), but the ending was a total set up for a sequel. Just started Finders Keepers" by Steven King.

50. PSYDR

Dec 18, 2005
    bump

51. Therapist4Chnge

Oct 6, 2006
    The Beach
    Faculty
    I caught a Rockies game, but didn't stay in town for APA…not really my scene.

I've been away from work all week, so sadly I'll probably get in a couple of half days of report writing. I don't mind doing it while watching baseball/golf.