Friedrich ataxia and slurred speech

Started by gotrumpet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gotrumpet

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why do patients get slurred speech with FA?

What is the mechanism?

I had difficulty finding it in Google and Medline thanks
 
Well, I'm not entirely certain of the exact pathophysiology behind it, but I imagine that it just has to do with the underlying disease of FA. That is, speech is a complex function of adults that requires motor, sensory, propioception, and certain areas of your brain to all coordinate and act appropriately. It doesn't take much from a diffusely neuropathic disease for it to be knocked out early. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.