Friendly Debate on When to Apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quantumhead

Verrucas Vulgaris
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it would be nice if we could discuss when everyone thinks the best time to send the AADSAS App in is. I believe that there are a variety of experiences and ideas that are floating around and this can cause a bit of confusion for the new applicant who just wants a clear cut answer. If you could:

First, state your idea on when the best time to apply is and

Second, state why you believe that is the best time and

Third, where the states and research for your decision came from.

If your section three is slim or non existent, do a search on Google for "when to apply to Dental school" and research a little so that your opinion will be informed.

Here we go.

Members don't see this ad.

Submitting your application early or on-time is one of the most important things that you as an applicant can do you make your position stronger (and to save yourself from insanity). I would say applying any time from June 1st through the end of July is optimal, the end of August through September is acceptable. That is not to say that people who apply afterwards are not players, but I think it saves you a lot of heartache personally.

I believe submitting at the end of August through September is probably the latest that you should apply if you are expecting to hear from school December 1st. Why? Because this is when I applied, and I nearly went crazy trying to contact AADSAS to see if my application had been processed. Processing takes 6-8 weeks (but longer if you have to make corrections). In addition, the application service did not send out my recommendations/transcripts out at the same time as the rest of the application so I would receive notifications that my application was not complete.

I received notification that my application was complete at several schools towards the end of October and beginning of November. I believe this is a solid position to be in -- ad coms can take up to 2 months to review files even after they are complete. If your file looks good, then you will probably be invited to interview before December 1st, which is crucial if you are looking to be accepted in the first round.

Most of my information comes from personal experience -- when I asked other people about applying at the end of August (too lazy to finish my personal statement before then), I was told that I was behind. That really got me moving, but I think that was inaccurate. My college counselor told me that I was right on track, and I interviewed at 4 schools before Dec 1st, and 4 schools after (last one being at the beginning of Jan). If I could re-do the process again, I would have tried really hard to finish everything by the end of July. Sure, the ad coms probably don't meet until the end of Sept, but allowing for your application to be processed as well as time for any corrections which need to be made, plus time to fill out secondaries, I think it's wiser to be early than late.

When you submit your appication is one of the last portions of your pre-dental track that you have any control over. After that, it's going to interviews and then waiting for the acceptances to roll in. Although it may have worked for some people to apply late, I don't believe that this is true for the majority. Why risk it? Yeah, it's a pain to apply, but you can still submit the application without your most recent DAT scores (or DAT scores at all) and then have the DAT scores sent directly to the schools themselves after you take them. The most difficult part of the application is just doing the personal statement -- so all of you that have free time out there, start brainstorming ideas! :wink:

ricegirl

I agree with you. I have heard some give advice that only 4.0 "cream of the crop" types apply early and that you are going to harm yourself by putting in your app with theirs and being compared to them. I don't know where they got their information or statistics, or their idea that only perfect people are early.

I think that it serves as an example that even on the SDN you need to take the information you receive with a grain of salt. Much of what is said is from personal experience and opinion. Listen to the comments and suggestions then do your own research and see if the two match.

Any other opinions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Quantumhead,

You sound like an older pre-dental student, do you mind if I ask what your age is?

In my opinion, the earlier you apply the better. This way, as in my case, if the application service loses parts of your application, you have plenty of time to resolve the problem. They managed to lose my transcripts not once, but twice. After you submit your application, you really need to keep checking on how things are going to ensure that everything is going as it should be. If you apply late and something like this happens, then the schools may not receive your completed application before their respective deadlines. Also, the later you apply, the less number of open spots there will be. Thus you will be competing against a larger number of people for a smaller number of spots. I would recommend that you send in your application by the befinning of August. Just my .02.

I agree that earlier is better. Not only because application pieces can be lost, but also because AADSAS has become notorious for delays. Some people that sent their information to AADSAS in june didnt have the information delivered to the schools until august. And then the people that sent information in august were pushed back as far as early november. Most schools run a rolling application cycle. They do their initial acceptances and interviews based on the applications they have. If you arent fortunate enough to be in that first group, your application will be looked at again during the second cycle, and so on. Someone that applies in february may only get their application reviewed once before the class is full. Whether you apply early or late, you're being judged against people with high gpa's and dat's. get it in, and start preparing for interviews.

I guess I am "older" I am 29 years old :( is that old?

I have had alot of expreience though, 5 year Navy, married for 11 years and 3.334 kids.

On the other note I agree the earlier the better, I had a question e-mailed me from another member who thought that a later app would put them in better position (ie not compared to 4.0 students), I just wanted them hear other ideas not just my advice.

Another factor that I would consider in this debate is the financial costs of interviewing. All else being equal, submitting one's applications early should make it more likley that one would be able arrrange single round trip travel agendas to incompass multiple interviews.

Earlier the better. If you are planning to apply 2003, act now. Letters of recommend are not easy to get form your professors. In my case, I had to ask them again and again to send the letter. To save time, I strongly recommend having a science committee instead of single letter from professor. For the essay, type what you like to them to know and turn it to your friends and family for review. Have all the documents ready and submit on June 1st. If you have any 'I' grades and other grades to fix, send it anyway. Because some school may not even care, or notice (highly possible). If they notice and they think it is important, they will contact you and ask you about it. If not, don't worry about it. I got an I grade of English 201. That course, as you know, was required for all applicants. I send it in and no one cared. Of course, I fixed it. But it was after my DAT, shadowing and interview. So, send it early and fix the grade at the same time. I got in with an average stat. GPA (3.3) DAT 17/19; I strongly believe it was because I send in early July 1st. My AADSAS # was close to 1000. I think you can tell how fast applicants act in short month.
Speaking of AADSAS people miss your letters and are late, it is totally TRUE.
Finally, one strong suggestion. Not for advertising, those essay-editing services are totally helpful. I am an international student; I think you can tell by my writing. I totally depended on that service. It was expensive, but fast and beautiful.
Anyway, take it as a reference and good luck!!!

:wink: