from nurse to doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snobdrblinkchik

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm not sure if this is the right forum, but i was wondering if anyone knew how hard it is (school wise) to go from being a nurse (bsn) to being a doctor? thanx for the info

Members don't see this ad.

Snobdrblinkchik said:
i'm not sure if this is the right forum, but i was wondering if anyone knew how hard it is (school wise) to go from being a nurse (bsn) to being a doctor? thanx for the info
This is unconfirmed but I heard medical schools don't like taking RN's because they feel it contributes to the nursing shortage. But then I also heard the rate of nurses going to medical school is so low that it doesn't affect the shortage.

leumas614 said:
This is unconfirmed but I heard medical schools don't like taking RN's because they feel it contributes to the nursing shortage. But then I also heard the rate of nurses going to medical school is so low that it doesn't affect the shortage.

That is a persistent rumor and may indeed be true at some schools but there are also those that welcome RNs with clinical experience, particularly if you can prove yourself on the MCAT. The route directly from a BSN to an MD program without a few years of practice in between is harder, so I've heard.

Schoolwise, it depends on the particular program. At many schools, the science prereqs for nursing and premed are entirely different. At some schools there is some overlap. Any classes not taken would have to be made up, obviously. Worst case scenario (i.e., my scenario :laugh: ) is that you have to take Bio I&II, GenChem I&II, Physics I&II, OChem I&II, and any miscellaneous prereqs required by the schools of your choice (calculus, biochem, etc.).

Good luck and feel free to PM me with any questions about RN--->MD!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm kinda in the same situation. I'm also planning to go to med school after getting a BSN....However, I'm almost done with my pre-reqs (except for o-chem)

leumas614 said:

Theres a nursing "shortage" b/c they wont pay the nurses more $$ and thus nurses work in other careers.

Snobdrblinkchik said:

Well, I have a friend who's a nurse. Shes hilarious. But what I didnt know was that she applied to and will start Medical school this Fall. I believe it was a UT Galviston or another Texas school.

Anyway, shes an army nurse and she has worked at for a while. Now shes thinking of being an anesthesialogist.

Specialized Health Sciences (Nurses and Tech Majors) had a 34% acceptance rate which is significantly lower than any other major. They also score the lowest on average for every section of the MCAT with a total average of 28.6 for SHS matriculants and 24.8 for all SHS applicants. There are the facts that say indeed Nurses have a tougher time getting into medical school.
Sources: http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2004/mcatgpabymaj1.htm

Snobdrblinkchik said:

Hey, the chick on ER did it, didnt she?

leumas614 said:

I think this is true only if you enter a nursing program with intentions to apply to medical school (i.e. getting a BSN as your pre-med degree). Not if you genuinely want a carreer change. :cool:

You should apply and you will probably have a good shot as long as you demonstrate leadership qualities and the ability to make good decisions and work well under pressure. Have you taken the MCAT? Make sure it's within 3 years.

good luck :luck:

thanx for all the replies..here's my story:
in community college taking gen ed classes...i want to be a doctor, so i could go to third world countries and help out..problem is that i don't have much time on my hands..i have a family business to help run, so for the time being..i wanted to become a nurse..and make some money..and then in the future..when our business takes off and i have more free time and money..i'll go to med school..
I was also wondering if getting a bsn is going "too far"..like should i just go for an AA..then when i have time go for pre-med.. and FIY..i live in soCal

oh yea..and the chick from er did go from nurse to doctor..lol..i love medical shows..that's another reason why i know i should be a doctor... JK!

thanx again for the help

leumas614 said:

Hi there,
Medical schools could care less about the nursing shortage if the candidate who is a nurse presents a competitive application. Nursing is a good pre-med major especially if you want to have a skill that you can put to good use during holidays and on vacations (contract companies). My class had five nurses who all made it through fine. Are nurses coming in droves to medical school? No more than any other health profession.
njbmd :)

Snobdrblinkchik said:
thanx for all the replies..here's my story:
in community college taking gen ed classes...i want to be a doctor, so i could go to third world countries and help out..problem is that i don't have much time on my hands..i have a family business to help run, so for the time being..i wanted to become a nurse..and make some money..and then in the future..when our business takes off and i have more free time and money..i'll go to med school..
I was also wondering if getting a bsn is going "too far"..like should i just go for an AA..then when i have time go for pre-med.. and FIY..i live in soCal

oh yea..and the chick from er did go from nurse to doctor..lol..i love medical shows..that's another reason why i know i should be a doctor... JK!

thanx again for the help

You have a good plan. You can work as a nurse and take care of you family. The money will help you pay for your education so you can get you Bachelor's degree.

I myself decided to stop at the ADN.

Make sure you do well in your nursing courses AND do well in all your med school pre-req's.