Not getting a LOR from the doctor I work for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kkrossy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be a red flag if I don’t have a LOR from the doctor I’ve been scribing for? I currently work for her full time and will have >1000 hours there by the time I apply, but I’m really worried the letter wouldn’t be positive as I’m not sure if she actually likes me. I just feel that I don’t connect with her enough for her to write me a good letter. Plus, she’s extremely busy since she’s one of three doctors in her specialty that practice in the area and I don’t want to put any extra burdens on her.

I’m just wondering if it would be a red flag to adcoms if I don’t have a LOR from an extensive clinical experience? I already have 2 science professors, my PI, and a volunteer coordinator writing letters for me which I know will all be positive. I’m not planning on applying to DO schools this cycle (I think) so I’m mainly asking about MD schools. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Depends on the LOR requirements, but usually a physician letter is not required. But that said, I'm sure you are concerned because having a letter would support any statement you would have whether this would be a significant or meaningful experience.

All you can do is ask. If the doctor says no, then move along. If this person really has high regard for you, you will not be inconveniencing the doctor.

I'm at a T20 school so YMMV if you are looking at schools in another category but in 20+ years I've never heard anyone criticize an applicant for not having a letter from an employer of any kind, least of all a physician-employer. Some adcom members are fixated on PI letters (perhaps because their experience reviewing PhD applicants bleeds int otheir med adcom work).

I think you are fine without a letter from the MD.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can't recall a single "MD" letter that made a difference in an application.
There are a few MD schools that request a "clinical" letter, but it seems that this is just to ensure that the applicant has some familiarity with physician working conditions.
DO schools do seem to love a DO letter, though.

Reactions: 3 users
Agree with above. I am also not parsing through activities lists saying "does the applicant have a letter from this experience?" and I don't really care whether applicants have a clinical/physician letter. If you have doubts about the quality of the letter, which includes not just the writer's ability to say nice things about you but also the writer's ability to say meaningful things about you, skip it.