From Nursing to Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RNtoDOC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a 24yo RN working in the Cardiac ICU... Ive actually been Pre-Med/Pre-Nursing since entering college... (family/financial issues prompted me to do this) love nursing.. but medicine has always been my final goal.. Just took the MCATs and looking forward to applying this year.. kinda.. :oops:
Wondering if anyone else is in the same boat..

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My final goal has been med school as well. I, however, am 30years old and a Respiratory Therapist. I've worked 3 years ICU and my last three years I have been working in ER and on the flight team. We don't have the exact same experience, but I say we could be in the same boat. I took the MCAT last August and will be starting school in the fall. Good luck to you.

yeah i am in the same excat boat.
I am a 24 yr old RN in the ER now for 2 1/2 yrs. Just took the MCAT and am applying this summer. Can't say i love nursing but i love medicine and helping people. send me a pvt message if you wanna trade stats and chat on each others experience
holla

Members don't see this ad :)
Just turned 31 yesterday. I have been a critical care nurse since 1997. My experiences have been great. I love working Burn and Surgical/Trauma ICU. I will be applying this year, as well. I love bedside but I want to more involved with the patients and their decision making. I love the DO philosophy and feel that would be a perfect fit for me. I really hope to get into a school that emphasizes OMM. good luck with your mcat. I just took it for the first time this past april.

Im so glad to hear about others with the same/similar experience as myself..
Its a difficult road to pursue, i find, because there arent a lot of people who did what i/we am/are doing
But Im very hopeful and encouraged and excited..

I had a question about where youre LOR are coming from..

Ive been done with undergrad for a while... and have kinda lost touch with those prof. So... I guess the Dean of my Nursing School?

Good Luck to the rest of you .. I know that your life experience will be the x factor that will make you a great physician

Question about LOR:

School LOR: I had the same problem. I received my ADN first and then went on to a BSN program. I know longer live in the state I received my degrees from and it the teachers have since retired. I will be taking some science courses this summer, I'm hoping I can get to know a couple of science teachers that will write a LOR for me.

DO LOR: I have been doing travel nursing off and on since 2000. While I was in New Jersey over the winter. I called up an orthopaedic Surgeon DO in Bayonne and he let me shadow him for a day. He even offered to write a LOR if I applied to his former school. Pretty soon here, I will be hitting him up on his offer. I'm in the progress of setting up something with one of the military DOs on Post. None of the local civilian DO have responded to my phone calls or letters.

Work LOR: Make sure you get a LOR or performance statement from someone you work with or supervises you. I would definitely call the school you are interested in and see what they recommend.
Good luck.

does the experience you gain from being a nurse give you any advantage in the admission process over johny fourpointohGPA fresh out of college?