From retail to hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeekerofTruth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

This week, I have an interview for a hospital staffing position and I am currently a retail chain pharmacist. I only graduated and passed naplex recently. If I get the new hospital position, it wouldn't even be part time, it is a per diem position. This hospital is actually what got me interested in pharmacy in the first place and I think it would be a good position to get myself into hospital with. However, this is my first interview in 2 years. My questions for you guys are:

1) What questions should I ask?
I am planning on asking for how many hours I might get and potential to become full time.

2) Would it be a good idea to leave the retail pharmacy for this position if it's only per diem?

Members don't see this ad.

I would not leave a full time position for a per diem. If I were you I would try and get as many hours as I could at the hospital to gain experience and get the hospital staff to like you. This means taking any and all shifts they offer and rescheduling your retail shifts as much as possible.

All per diem positions can transition to full time, I would not bother asking that. Instead I would explain that you really would like to work at the hospital full time and to let the interviewers know you would move heaven and earth to cover any available shifts.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed. If I were you, I'd keep my current job and try to get shifts at the hospital.

Also be aware that the hourly rate may be lower than what you're used to.

Members don't see this ad :)
What questions should I ask? My golden play is going to be that I worked in th pharmacy years ago but I don't know how far it can get me

If you worked there years ago and plan to remind them of that then you better be able to mention people who work there that would recommend you. I would remind them of things you did there that show you in a positive light. Hopefully you kept in touch and can show a personal connection.

If not then you better keep quiet about that.

If you worked there years ago and plan to remind them of that then you better be able to mention people who work there that would recommend you. I would remind them of things you did there that show you in a positive light. Hopefully you kept in touch and can show a personal connection.

If not then you better keep quiet about that.

I kept in touch with the director of pharmacy at the time. Everyone has since left for other positions except for the current director of pharmacy who used to be a staff rph who taught me a lot of things and does still remember me. In fact, I'm pretty sure I got the interview because of that.

I don't plan on harping it like it's gold, I only intend on dropping it out there as part of an answer to a question I might get.