From RT to MD...will it help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dragron66

RRTtoMD
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a currently practicing and licensed Registered Respiratory Therapist for the past few years. And I'm just finishing up my bachelors degree and have kept up my gpa (about 3.65). Yet to take the MCAT....but will soon.
But, I've been reading about a lot of these applicants, and most seem to offer volunteer time at the hospitals and such.

I'm just curious if i have to do the same, to have any chance to get into med school. Currently i work in a Level 1 trauma and have experience administering meds, conducting patient assessments, responding and coordinating code blue and emergencys, i have perfromed special procedures such as intubation and bronchoscopy and a multitude of other things. All that equates to 1000's of hours of actual patient care. As well as many of the physicians i work with will be willing to offer letters of reccomendation.
I'm wondering if it will give me a leg up when it comes time to apply? Or should i start looking in to finding some volunteer time myself?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying right now, so I'll let you know how much it helps in about 12 months. The thousands of hours of experience will help out (a ton), but you need to be a "well rounded" applicant.

You probably should get some volunteering in and it is fairly easy to do as an RT. You can volunteer at health fairs, asthma meetings, or champ camps. You do that, kill your MCAT, get those awesome LORs and you'll be set.:luck::luck::luck:

I will tell you this...I've been a paramedic for 10 years now, so I've provided a lot of direct patient care. I have neglected the whole volunteering thing because of school, work and raising 2 kids (priorities, ya' know?!).

I'm applying right now, and it has felt really bad to not be able to put anything in the volunteer/research slots on the application. I always thought that extracurriculars should be aimed at providing the applicant more exposure to the actual practice of medicine--I was apparently wrong.

In short, I'd recommend finding volunteer/service stuff to do. You'll just feel more secure about your application. Also, consider doing research if you're at all interested doing so. It's just about adding layers of security for your app.

Your direct pt care experience should help you significantly. As an aside, I did lots of volunteer stuff in high school (more than a decade ago), and didn't really do any as a college student. I have received 2 interviews, 1 screened secondary, and no rejections as of yet. I'm sure the rejections will come! Point is, the lack of some of these extracurriculars hasn't destroyed my application--but it makes me feel uneasy to an extent.

In short, I'd recommend finding volunteer/service stuff to do. You'll just feel more secure about your application. Also, consider doing research if you're at all interested doing so. It's just about adding layers of security for your app.

Yeah that.