From UC to Cal State??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youthman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does it look if you did your undergrad at a UC school, then do your post-bac at a Cal State University (i.e. CSUSF)? Would it be considered a step down by admissions?

Members don't see this ad.

youthman said:
How does it look if you did your undergrad at a UC school, then do your post-bac at a Cal State University (i.e. CSUSF)? Would it be considered a step down by admissions?

Well, think about it... your opinion of the CS schools is such that *you* have to ask this question, what do you think the admissions people will think of it?

I would guess that, with a few exceptions, the CS schools will be considered a major step down from the UC schools. Unfortunately, the post-bacs for the UC schools are only open to minority and underpriviledged students... if you don't qualify, you are basically SOL.

If you are in the bay area (as you seem to be, since you ask about CSUSF), you might want to look into Mills... from what I understand, they have one of the best post-bac programs on the west coast.

imrep1972 said:
Well, think about it... your opinion of the CS schools is such that *you* have to ask this question, what do you think the admissions people will think of it?

I would guess that, with a few exceptions, the CS schools will be considered a major step down from the UC schools. Unfortunately, the post-bacs for the UC schools are only open to minority and underpriviledged students... if you don't qualify, you are basically SOL.

If you are in the bay area (as you seem to be, since you ask about CSUSF), you might want to look into Mills... from what I understand, they have one of the best post-bac programs on the west coast.

Yes, I figured so, but I saw on the FAQ that CSUSF was listed as one of the tops in the west...

Acually, I'm in orange county. Went to UCI but they have nothing for me as far as post-bac. Even their extension program is crap (2nd priority and ony 2 classes per quarter). I think Mills is already full since deadlines were Feb. I left a message for Scripps too. I'm pretty much willing to relocate if necessary though.

Members don't see this ad :)
youthman said:
I think Mills is already full since deadlines were Feb. I left a message for Scripps too. I'm pretty much willing to relocate if necessary though.
I'd recommend calling Mills before ruling them out. I applied in mid-January and haven't heard a peep from them (they haven't even cashed my application check yet). If you look over their web site, you'll note that they say the deadline is February 2nd, but they will continue to review applications until the program is full.

It's worth a shot, but before getting your stuff together, you might want to give them a phone call to confirm. Good luck...

youthman said:
Yes, I figured so, but I saw on the FAQ that CSUSF was listed as one of the tops in the west...

Acually, I'm in orange county. Went to UCI but they have nothing for me as far as post-bac. Even their extension program is crap (2nd priority and ony 2 classes per quarter). I think Mills is already full since deadlines were Feb. I left a message for Scripps too. I'm pretty much willing to relocate if necessary though.

Well, as I said: "with few exceptions"... SF may be one of those few exceptions. I can't speak much to that specific program. I was answering more to the general comparison of CS v. UC.

For what its worth, I was in OC myself and tried to get into UCI, but alas, am a middle-class white guy (the new minority :) ). So, because of that and state budget cuts (thanks Herr Schwartzeneger), I was forced to go out to San Bernardino to take classes. I believe if I could have done what I accomplished last year (3.9 over a full year of full time bio), in a "real" school, I would probably be going to a medical school this August. Ah well. :)

imrep1972 said:

I don't agree with this. There are definitely people in my class who went to UCs for undergrad and then did a post-bac at SFSU, or another CSU campus. I think if you did well in undergrad, taking it at the CSU is not really an issue. If you need a boost to your application the "prestige" of Mills might give you a boost. Or it might not. I wouldn't write off the CSUs though... pick based on what seems like the best fit for you in terms of location, cost, what's offered, etc.

I forgot to mention, you can also look into the extension programs at the UCs. I know people who took stuff at Berkeley Extension and I have a friend doing classes at UCLA Extension right now.

I went to UCLA for a scoial science BA, then came to SFSU to complete pre-med reqs. I say that my experiences have been mostly positive. SFSU has a pretty large post bac community, and I feel the classes are taught very well. Many people up here have been accepted- although you must have a decent GPA and MCAT score (obviously). Good luck.

scota said:
I went to UCLA for a scoial science BA, then came to SFSU to complete pre-med reqs. I say that my experiences have been mostly positive. SFSU has a pretty large post bac community, and I feel the classes are taught very well. Many people up here have been accepted- although you must have a decent GPA and MCAT score (obviously). Good luck.

Ok, before I offend everyone who went to a CS... :) (hey - I'm at one too)

I did not say that you could not get into a med school after doing post-bac at a CS. I simply stated my opinion that AdComs will look at a post-bac at a CS less favorably than at a UC or other schools... GENERALLY (YES... there are exceptions, I get this)....

Having said that, I think there are great educations available at CS schools. I know for a fact that my one year of post-bac at CSUSB has been better education wise than all my time at U of A. I think I have gotten a tremendous education. However, if a particular AdCom is not familiar with a particular CS quality, then they will probably look down upon it, IN GENERAL.

I had a hard time deciding too. I'm also a Bruin (go!). But I opted to take classes at UCI through UCI. There IS an option to take more than 2 classes per quarter. I"m taking 3 right now (would take 4 but studying for the mcats). You can petition to take more than 2 classes per quarter (ie. taking classes for grad school) and they're pretty lax about allowing students to go beyond the 2 classes.

Yeah, it DOES suck...getting pretty much last priority to enroll and all but I figured that taking it at a UCI is generally a better way to show the adcoms that you can take hard courses. I dont know about anyone else but compared to UCLA, UCI courses are a notch "lower" in intensity. I"m not sure if that's cus i'm actually studying now but the way profs grade students here isn't as intense as UCLA (just speaking from a full-year of experience). but the profs are DEFINITELY more responsive to students, I think. I'm from the southern californai area and didnt want to have a total change of scene (AND the added cost, since i live near OC).

weigh it all out...the good..the bad.. and plunge in, give in 100%!

hope this helped
gluck!

gh - Do you find it difficult to get into the classes you want? Have you talked to any of the professors about what you are doing and what is their response?

Thanks!

i'd definitely say that i was limited to what kinds of classes I was able to enroll in. a lot of the classes (especially during fall) fill up quickly...extension doesnt let you enroll (ie pay and start becoming an "official" student in the class) until about the end of second week. i had to wait until all the students "settled" into their courses...and see what spots were open. i work during the afternoons/evenings so getting the early morning classes were important....that could be the reason for my somewhat difficulties in enrolling (ie less choices)

i think overall though, profs are VERY responsive to why/what i'm doing here. they're very helpful and are all about seeing EVERY student succeed in the class, whether you're a full-out UCI student or not. the choice is yours. i'm applying to master's program right now, and i've received recs from them, they're willing to help you, as long as you put in the work. i'm not sure if you've checked out the post-bac program here but if you're in the program, enrollment should not be an issue at all, since you get to choose/register in the classes during the same time as the other students. I'm getting a great experience here (in post-bac standards, i think). classes are about $604 each (just to let you know).

let me knowif you have any q's.

does anyone have anymore information about bay area schools and options? I graduated from ucsd last year, and recently decided to pursue med school. I have yet to do all my pre-reqs and have been looking around for something. I'm currently taking classes at Foothill, til i find a program that makes sense.. I've looked into Mills, and I am inquiring about more information, as well as SFSU.

any ideas?

ms6 said:
does anyone have anymore information about bay area schools and options? I graduated from ucsd last year, and recently decided to pursue med school. I have yet to do all my pre-reqs and have been looking around for something. I'm currently taking classes at Foothill, til i find a program that makes sense.. I've looked into Mills, and I am inquiring about more information, as well as SFSU.

any ideas?

You may want to avoid taking your prereqs at Foothill . . .