Frustrated about shadowing...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pktgresch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Hello,
I am a pre-med student interested in attending Podiatry school post graduation. I am taking all the necessary steps in order to be a good candidate for acceptance now; however, I have yet to shadow a physician. I have contacted 10 local offices, emailed the two mentors listed in my area on this site and still have not heard back from anyone.:boom: Should I try to attend the internship programs that a few of the Pod schools offer? Would it be un-appropriate to ask for a letter of recommendation while only being in the clinic with a physician for such a little amount of time (the internship is 4days?) How should I go about shadowing a Doctor, should I simply show up at their office and ask to shadow? Any help would be greatly appreciated."
This is a question I posed in the "ask the expert" section of apma.org. I felt it would be easier just to post it here in stead of re-typing it. I am concerned because summer is almost over and I will be returning to school out of state, in West Virginia. I will be super busy with only being able to get away from campus on the weekend. Does anyone think I will have better responses from physicians in WV? I am getting concerned because I have no hours with DPM's and it seems a bit late seeing how I will be applying one year from today. How did you all go about getting to shadow and getting that much needed letter of rec?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,
In my case, I searched my local area (Boston, MA) for practicing physicians. I researched their histories and chose the doctor I admired the most. I sent an email expressing my admiration, and I guess my sincerity was able to get through. It took about a week to hear back. They are very busy people so don't be discouraged if you don't hear back immediately. Cold calling is another method that has also worked for me. Good Luck!!

Well it sounds like ur having bad luck to me. Most physicians in my path have been very generous and had open arms when I have asked to shadow them. Have u been going about it properly? explaining who you are/your interests? Especially Pods, they usually enjoy when people are interested in the profession. And your applying in a year?! you have plenty of time. I applied w/o having any shadowing experience (with dpms.. I had about 90 hours of MD/DO and then about 500 hours of volunteer hours, so that probably helped) but then w/ in the weeks after I applied i easily found some dr's to shadow. So just keep checking around and you will find one. Dont get discouraged my friend :)

Members don't see this ad :)
it took me about 20 different cold calls and emails before i finally found a podiatrist who was willing to let me shadow. don't give up hope and keep trying.

"Hello,
I am a pre-med student interested in attending Podiatry school post graduation. I am taking all the necessary steps in order to be a good candidate for acceptance now; however, I have yet to shadow a physician. I have contacted 10 local offices, emailed the two mentors listed in my area on this site and still have not heard back from anyone.:boom: Should I try to attend the internship programs that a few of the Pod schools offer? Would it be un-appropriate to ask for a letter of recommendation while only being in the clinic with a physician for such a little amount of time (the internship is 4days?) How should I go about shadowing a Doctor, should I simply show up at their office and ask to shadow? Any help would be greatly appreciated."
This is a question I posed in the "ask the expert" section of apma.org. I felt it would be easier just to post it here in stead of re-typing it. I am concerned because summer is almost over and I will be returning to school out of state, in West Virginia. I will be super busy with only being able to get away from campus on the weekend. Does anyone think I will have better responses from physicians in WV? I am getting concerned because I have no hours with DPM's and it seems a bit late seeing how I will be applying one year from today. How did you all go about getting to shadow and getting that much needed letter of rec?

Firstly, relax - you are not behind by any stretch of the imagination. You have one year to shadow. Even if you only shadowed once a week, for one hour a week you'd have 52 hours which is way more than you need.

DO NOT just show up at their office - that will really annoy them and they will probably just tell you to leave. Call the office and leave your information and tell them why you are calling - it is unlikely you will get to talk to the doctor before the actual shadow. I've never had a real problem with finding DPMs to shadow, but at one point I called like 6 practices in my area (most multi-doctor) and only 3 got back to me (and only 1 worked out with my schedule). If they don't call you back within a week, call back and remind them that you called the week before. Wait for them to tell you "no" before you just give up because they don't call you back.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll find someone!

NO! Do not even think about asking for a letter from the internship programs. First of all, you will not be shadowing a doctor, any shadowing u will do will be at the school's clinic with current 3rd year Pod students, you may see a doc. supervising coming in and out of a room but you will not have any sort of meaningful relationship with them.

Besides, 4 days is totally not enough to ask for a LOR since about 3/4 of that time will be spend in non-clinic activities. Also most docs are way too busy at those schools and by even asking will reflect poorly on your common sense skills

"Hello,

"I received your message about wanting to shadow me. Let me know what days you are interested."
Awesome! She was the Valedictorian at her school and I told her about my interest in the school and how impressive it was that she is doing so well and I got a response! Now.. what do I wear? That seems cliche, I know how to act and I know it is a professional environment but what the heck do I wear?

khakis, button up/collared shirt

FYI I called a podiatrist every day for around a week and a half before she finally called back and scheduled a shadowing.

keep at it!

"Hello,

It depends on the demographics of the area. This may not fly in a big, metropolitan city. At least wear a tie and maybe even a sport coat.

Ah yea.. fair enough, guess I was speaking from my own experience. But I did shadow in St. Louis and I fit in just fine.