Frustrated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adpitan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I am really frustrated right now and I suppose has more to do with my perfectionist attitude and that if it's not perfect don't do it at all. I suppose I am going to be my own un-doing if I don't stop it. This is my first semester back after two years of only working and applying for jobs, so maybe I should cut myself some slack. Anyways, I am just frustrated because I had to drop my math class and am now looking for someone to test me for dyslexia and to look into test anxiety either as a by-product of the dyslexia or an issue on it's own. Since I am struggling with the math issue this is obviously wrecking havoc with the chemistry so I feel like I am performing less than.

I'm just wondering how many people were frustrated or had a difficult time going back to school? Does it get easier, no I'm not talking about the classes, I'm talking about being back in school in general?

I think this is long and rambling enough now, thanks for listening and any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

adpitan said:
Hello all. I am really frustrated right now and I suppose has more to do with my perfectionist attitude and that if it's not perfect don't do it at all. I suppose I am going to be my own un-doing if I don't stop it. This is my first semester back after two years of only working and applying for jobs, so maybe I should cut myself some slack. Anyways, I am just frustrated because I had to drop my math class and am now looking for someone to test me for dyslexia and to look into test anxiety either as a by-product of the dyslexia or an issue on it's own. Since I am struggling with the math issue this is obviously wrecking havoc with the chemistry so I feel like I am performing less than.

I'm just wondering how many people were frustrated or had a difficult time going back to school? Does it get easier, no I'm not talking about the classes, I'm talking about being back in school in general?

I think this is long and rambling enough now, thanks for listening and any advice.

When was the last time you had math?
I think that you should not cut yourself some slack but rather realized that it may take you longer to understand some mathematical concepts...take that into consideration when you are studying and allocate extra time to understand the math.

good luck!

riceman04 said:
When was the last time you had math?
I think that you should not cut yourself some slack but rather realized that it may take you longer to understand some mathematical concepts...take that into consideration when you are studying and allocate extra time to understand the math.

good luck!

It has been a few years since I have taken math. However, I did do a pre-calc workshop this summer and I did fine with that except when it comes to the tests. The same thing this semester, I had a full page of notes and yet when the test was handed to me it was as if I had never seen the material before. All I had to do was take the info that was on my notes and apply it to the test but I was unable to. I wanted to throw up and run out the door but I didn't I stayed until the very end. I looked up and took a breath, I put down my pencil and closed my eyes and said to myself that I could do this. Working out the problems is not an issue, understanding the material is not an issue, studying is not an issue, it is the tests that when handed to me look like they are in Greek. I feel pressured when I am the last person sitting there taking the tests. I feel like there is something wrong with me when I am the last one there and everyone is done. I can have an intelligent conversation with someone regarding the material, I can even explain it to someone else and help them with it. I simply am unable to perform when the test is here. I don't want to be dyslexic, I am hoping it is simply test anxiety that makes me unable to perform.

I am not trying to take an easy way out of this, I want to be here. I want to be a forensic pathologist with all my heart and soul, I know that is the path for me and nothing else would satisfy me. So, if this means that I have to go back and take all the math classes over again then so be it. However, I truly do not feel it is a matter of setting aside the proper amount of study time. My time was well spent, my notes were handwritten both front and back and I spent a few hours going over all my homework and notes from the class. I reviewed the material and knew it before it was handed out and yet I still failed. I can't explain it but looking at my test after I got it back showed an inversion of many symbols which obviously wrecked havoc with my score. My last quiz the teacher allowed me to sit outside alone and take as much time as I needed and my score went up. That shows something, it helps to provide evidence that I am able to perform these basic skills but am unable to perform them under stress.

Yes, I am fully aware being a doctor is a stressful situation. However, I would reconsider being a doctor if I did not feel that I would be able to perform. Also, since I am planning on being a forensic pathologist the most true stress I will ever be under would be when I am testifying in court. I know all about working the scenes, proper interviews, how to perform autopsies, grossing and all the other wonderful things that go along with that job. I just unfortunately am having a difficult time with math at this point.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can remember when i first set out as a pre-med and was sweating bullets on my physics exams--i had just gotten my ass kicked by an infamous chem nazi at city college,so my confidence was shaken--but i still made A's.

I guess i can understand freakin out, but for me i always can concentrate even harder under pressure. Everybody is different however and as nervous as i have been on exams i can understand how it might blur your reasoning irrecconcilably.

The math in pre-med classes (the ones w/o calculus at any rate) requires only algebra and some trig, the trick seems to be translating a small set of mathematical applications to science word problems. They usually isolate only one or two inferential or deductive steps...the problem is that in order to think deductively and to make inferences your mind can not be completely flooded with adrenaline. As your experience indicates you are capable of succeeding when in a calm state of mind, so relaxing seems to be your main obstacle, if not dyslexia.

Since i do not posess magical yogi powers of meditation, I prefer to simulate a test like mind state while studying or doing problems and to analyze my mistakes in the process, so that come game time i'm prepared. I hope the best for you.-Ben.

P.S. I think you also have to be comfortable beginning to solve the problems without knowing where you're going to end up. it's almost like you have a tool box of equations one of which fits a particular problem. you just keep trying them until you find the ones that can isolate your unknowns either on their own or in conjunction with others until the solution presents itself. Not knowing what to do from the onset can be unnerving unless your OK with just trying some things out in a casual manner.

benelswick said:
P.S. I think you also have to be comfortable beginning to solve the problems without knowing where you're going to end up. it's almost like you have a tool box of equations one of which fits a particular problem. you just keep trying them until you find the ones that can isolate your unknowns either on their own or in conjunction with others until the solution presents itself. Not knowing what to do from the onset can be unnerving unless your OK with just trying some things out in a casual manner.

Thanks for this.

I notice your in SF, how often are you in campus?

adpitan said:
Thanks for this.

I notice your in SF, how often are you in campus?

Usually everyday but I couldn't attend this semester. i'll be there every day in the spring. I'm going to take orgo II, Bio II, and an elective. what about you?

benelswick said:
Usually everyday but I couldn't attend this semester. i'll be there every day in the spring. I'm going to take orgo II, Bio II, and an elective. what about you?

I'm planning on taking Bio 1 & Orgo 1. I'm wondering if I should repeat Bio I and II, I took those at a really bad time during my undergra and scored lovely D's. Fabulous, aren't they? I don't really want to retake them and if I didnt need to I could move right along with my life. I have already taken Human Bio and A&P combined and did very well in those. I am going to make my way over to Rothman and see what he says.

Hopefully we will get a chance to meet.

If math is the issue, then there may be a few things you can do. Before embarking on my postbacc, I was a high school math teacher, and have come across more than my share of students with mathphobia or test anxiety (and yes, believe it or not, students are getting "disability status" and special accomodations for both of those conditions).

Usually when someone is having a problem with math, it is a result of a hole in their knowledge of the prerequisite concepts. A lot of times people (both students and teachers) gloss over fundamental concepts in the quest to be able to do specific problems. What you end up with is a student who can solve any algebra problem they've seen before, do very well on the exams, and then have precalc or calc look totally foreign because they have to apply concepts instead of solve cookie-cutter problems. A conversation with an experienced math tutor may solve a lot of those problems - they can at least put together a plan of attack, so that you can manage the class a little better.

And yes, a solid math background means ALL the difference in chemistry and physics.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this any further.

adpitan said:
I'm planning on taking Bio 1 & Orgo 1. I'm wondering if I should repeat Bio I and II, I took those at a really bad time during my undergra and scored lovely D's. Fabulous, aren't they? I don't really want to retake them and if I didnt need to I could move right along with my life. I have already taken Human Bio and A&P combined and did very well in those. I am going to make my way over to Rothman and see what he says.

Hopefully we will get a chance to meet.

Cool. rothman should help you choose the right coursework for you. sounds like TheSecret could give you some solid pointers. Yeah i'll pm you some time next semester to give you my e-mail in case i can offer some insight into particular instructors and maybe some left over materials from my classes. take care--ben.