Frustration w/ Pre-Req Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dallasguy75

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel extremely limited to what schools they can apply to based on what pre-reqs they have completed?

Sure... part of this is my fault since I decided on pharmacy school after graduating with my bio degree. But I really wish I could pick which schools I want to apply to instead of having to pick and choose based on their strict pre-req requirements.

I know what some people will say... why don't you go back to school and take some of the pre-reqs? Well, I actually AM taking 2 pre-reqs I need for most schools but still feel limited. I am also working and studying for the PCAT so don't have the desire or time to take additional classes. It's tough making yourself go back and take classes as a post-bac right after you've graduated.

I just wanted to know if anyone else faced this situation and applied to schools just based on what classes they had completed. Luckily I'm from Texas and two of the Texas schools match up with what classes I'll have.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone else feel extremely limited to what schools they can apply to based on what pre-reqs they have completed?

Yes. We all do.

Sure... part of this is my fault since I decided on pharmacy school after graduating with my bio degree. But I really wish I could pick which schools I want to apply to instead of having to pick and choose based on their strict pre-req requirements.

I know what some people will say... why don't you go back to school and take some of the pre-reqs? Well, I actually AM taking 2 pre-reqs I need for most schools but still feel limited. I am also working and studying for the PCAT so don't have the desire or time to take additional classes. It's tough making yourself go back and take classes as a post-bac right after you've graduated.

I just wanted to know if anyone else faced this situation and applied to schools just based on what classes they had completed. Luckily I'm from Texas and two of the Texas schools match up with what classes I'll have.

My advice would be to focus only on schools where you plan to attend and/or apply. That way, you don't have to overload yourself with pre-reqs you might not need.

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to the irrationalities of pharm school applications. It's nothing new. It's also the reason why applying to pharm school is so unnecessarily expensive and time consuming. I bet many applicants need to take one or two pre-reqs in the summer before matriculation. Highly annoying, frustrating, and expensive (especially if you need to jump around town to get into a class). But I think many pharm schools will begin standardizing pre-reqs (more or less) in the future when the PharmD degree ages so it will reflect the simplicity of med school pre-reqs. They'll probably get rid of the useless courses like public speaking, economics, psych, anatomy.

So..... all pharmacy schools should have the exact same requirements so they're the same school?

Every school has different requirements for what they consider to be an acceptable applicant. They are looking for someone to fit their schools ideals.

I did not have any problem with my pre-reqs. I took the main ones and realized that the majority of schools require classes like Biochem, Stats, etc, so I took those.

I had the space and time for them, so I did it. I don't really get why people have a problem with it unless its a school with a really funky requirement.

They'll probably get rid of the useless courses like public speaking, economics, psych, anatomy.

Those are useless courses? You do realize that community pharmacists are, in effect, public speakers. To go a step further, public speaking is class everyone should have to take. You have to learn how to conduct yourself in front of a large group of people because, as a professional, you will be doing so for the rest of your life.

Economics I could see not being needed, but it gives you a nice well rounded perspective of the world you're entering.

And not needing psych or anatomy? Might as well get rid of Gen Chem and O Chem too

Those are useless courses? You do realize that community pharmacists are, in effect, public speakers. To go a step further, public speaking is class everyone should have to take. You have to learn how to conduct yourself in front of a large group of people because, as a professional, you will be doing so for the rest of your life.

Economics I could see not being needed, but it gives you a nice well rounded perspective of the world you're entering.

And not needing psych or anatomy? Might as well get rid of Gen Chem and O Chem too

Umm...no, community pharmacists are not public speakers, unless you think 1-on-1 counseling is public speaking. And I never took psych, does that mean I will not be a good pharmacist? Any anatomy you need to know should be covered in pharmacy school. You probably should refrain from making judgements like this until you actually start pharmacy school.

Oh please. I think it is a good thing they require so many pre-reqs. It makes for a more well-rounded applicant. Would you (do you) want to go to school/work with someone or have a pharmacist with a limited world view? I enjoyed most of my pre-reqs. And considering public speaking is the number one fear for people in general, it is good to build up your confidence so you will be able to do it in class, on rotations, at conferences and/or poster sessions. Sure, it might take you longer to get them all done but you aren't the only one doing post-bacc work. Many pre-pharmers are working full-time or have a family and going through a major career change. If you want it bad enough, you will put forth the effort to get it done. Yeah it can be annoying, but many things in life are annoying aren't they?

I'd be all for
A. Requiring a Bachelor's degree
B. Making some standards for pre-reqs (at least core requirements) among schools

I still think there are people in pharmacy school now who have very little knowledge about things that are not science...the idea behind some pre-reqs is that we'll see less of this.

Umm...no, community pharmacists are not public speakers, unless you think 1-on-1 counseling is public speaking. And I never took psych, does that mean I will not be a good pharmacist? Any anatomy you need to know should be covered in pharmacy school. You probably should refrain from making judgements like this until you actually start pharmacy school.

Public speaking teaches you how to speak to people. And if you're a professional, you will be doing public speaking in your career.

The reason Anatomy is a pre-req is because the schools do not want to dedicate the time during pharmacy school towards something that can be covered during your undergrad.

And I have almost ten years of experience in pharmacy, I reserve the right to make judgments about things I DO understand.

So..... all pharmacy schools should have the exact same requirements so they're the same school?

Every school has different requirements for what they consider to be an acceptable applicant. They are looking for someone to fit their schools ideals.

I did not have any problem with my pre-reqs. I took the main ones and realized that the majority of schools require classes like Biochem, Stats, etc, so I took those.

I had the space and time for them, so I did it. I don't really get why people have a problem with it unless its a school with a really funky requirement.

Yeah... I'm like the OP with a bio degree and I still had to take some post-bac classes for certain schools. I wasn't sure which schools I was going to get accepted to so I wanted to be safe and take them all. My school didn't even offer the 8 A&P credits, and Micro and Biochem weren't required either. I used my time there to take unique biology classes I might not get anywhere else and just took the remaining pre-reqs after graduation. It's not a big deal, most of us have to do it.

I think Campbell in North Carolina requires PE and Religion as pre-reqs, but they may not require that anymore. I'm not sure.

I was going to be a lot meaner.

lol

You might be surprised how many people have a problem with one on one counseling or speaking to patients. Public speaking in the strictest sense may not be done on a daily basis, but if a student can jump that hurdle in a speaking class, then it should alleviate some of the fears of speaking to people in general.

Yeah... you could reply and say that someone is in the wrong profession if they're too shy to speak to people, but the point is that there are varying levels of comfort with speaking (one on one or publicly), so a class that teaches better communication is definitely a plus.

I think most of the pre-req's are good, but explain Physics to me. Some schools do not require any and some want a full year, so I was limited this year. Calculus is another one, most are one semester yet some are two.

I understand the importance of math, but how do I apply angular momentum to pharmacokinetics? :scared:

I think most of the pre-req's are good, but explain Physics to me. Some schools do not require any and some want a full year, so I was limited this year. Calculus is another one, most are one semester yet some are two.

I understand the importance of math, but how do I apply angular momentum to pharmacokinetics? :scared:

dont forget the fact some schools want ANALYTICAL Calc w/ Geometry versus Calc 1

I will say a lot of these courses, in particular physics will help you think critically. Whenever you can't do something one way, you taken a different approach to find a solution. You'll get this in pharmacy, sometimes insurances will reject medications. Gotta find another way to get it through within the rules. Plus, physics at the core of it really does explain how everything in the world works.

Physics sucked and I sucked at it! I do not feel it helped me think more analytically or outside of the box it just confused me. I believe Physics is required to help weed out candidates. Thank God for me every school doesn't require it.

Physics sucked and I sucked at it! I do not feel it helped me think more analytically or outside of the box it just confused me. I believe Physics is required to help weed out candidates. Thank God for me every school doesn't require it.

I found physics to be quite easy, never studied for it and did quite well.

It's helpful to understand the basic knowledge of how things work for things like kinetics and stuff