SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Discussion in 'Step I' started by ahussain9, May 27, 2008.

1. ahussain9

ahussain9 7+ Year Member

Jan 15, 2007
    So I've been studying for a couple of months now and I'm in my "crackdown" weeks...Just 2 weeks before my exam...and I'm getting completely frustrated with memorizing material then losing it the next day. How are we possibly supposed to memorize ALL of this junk! I'm sitting here trying to RE-memorize the hormones of the GI tract and can't help but thinking "WHO CARES!"

I'm about ready to take this exam tomorrow to get it over with...What do I do?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. medstu2006

medstu2006 Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Jul 1, 2005
    You are not alone. Most people get frustrated with memorizing information and then forgetting it the next day. You can do more questions or take an NBME to figure out your weak areas.
  4. boardsbandit524

boardsbandit524 2+ Year Member

May 3, 2008
    i hear that most people feel like they bomb this exam anyways and end up doing well.
  5. SurferBoyMD

SurferBoyMD Back in the water! 10+ Year Member

Jun 3, 2007
    :p you had two months and then some to prepare? :scared: I only get 5 weeks :D
  6. MystikBliss

MystikBliss 2+ Year Member

Dec 20, 2006
    feeling the same way. do more questions. take the NMBE assessment. keep just trying to memorize everything you see. and calm down. being frustrated does nothing but provide distraction. i'm sure most people on the forum can relate
  7. Rogue Synapse

Rogue Synapse The Dude Has Got No Mercy 7+ Year Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I've been studying for two weeks and I take my exam on June 10th. I think I gave myself just enough time to go through everything without giving myself too long of a freak-out period at the end. I'll still be doing my major review pretty close to the test, so hopefully I won't have the "what do I do now" dilemma.

I'd suggest taking some mental health time before doing question-based review of stuff you've already gone over, saving your very weakest for two days before the test.
  8. jbuck824

jbuck824 2+ Year Member

Mar 25, 2008
    im glad im not the same position as you and im too nervous to take nbme's utnil i fully cover everything by early next week cuz i know there are still so many gaps...just keep truckin..
  9. Lany

Lany 2+ Year Member

May 24, 2008
    maybe cut down the hours of studying per day and relax for rest of the day.. then increase the hours back to the way it used to be before the exam. dont step out jus yet.. its only 2 wks. g'luck.
  10. osli

osli Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Oct 13, 2005
    Here's an idea... keep a running list of "stuff that needs to be memorized that I keep forgetting." If you always forget GI hormones, it will only take a few lines to write quick-refresher bullet points.

I've been doing that, and it's only about 2 pages so far. For me, it's mostly storage diseases and a few other enzyme deficiencies, tumor markers, common mutations/translocations in cancers, etc. Not nearly as daunting as I thought. It's kind of comforting to see all of the stuff that you know you struggle with keeping in memory compiled in one place, and to recognize that it isn't an impossible list to tackle. In fact, I think mine will be short enough that I could review it thoroughly in the hour before the exam on the actual test day (but I probably won't - I think that I'll do very little the day before, except to go over that list once in the morning and once at night).
  11. Cards21aceking

Cards21aceking 5+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2007
    I lovingly call mine the STNF list...."S**t to not forget" :love:
  12. Lany

Lany 2+ Year Member

May 24, 2008
    I have just those.. each section per page.. printed it out and stuck it on the wall. I cover it with blank paper just so i dont cheat. I think i should add GI hormones as well.. good idea :cool: